DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 8

Elsalvajeloco

Not sure if this should be in this thread or documentary thread but Showtime Sports had a great series called "The Kings" which was about the 4 Kings of boxing in the 80's:  Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns, and Marvin Hagler

Really good stuff although them trying to shoe horn Reagan was a bit unnecessary except maybe to explain how flawed Leonard was as a person.  It is fascinating how Hagler was always considered the overlooked one from the beginning and really had to fight for his ultimate respect.  Even when he wins his first title it is overshadowed because racist British fans almost start a riot

Duran was hilarious in this series calling himself the "father" of the Kings because he is the oldest and how it seems every time he won a big fight he just completely let himself go to the point of being a mess on the next fight.  Duran blaming on getting killed by Hearns on "fucking two girls and drinking"  

• Like 1

Naoya Inoue caught another body.

So apparently, Donaire is replacing his one time conqueror Guillermo Rigondeaux against WBO titlist John Riel Casimero on 8/14. So we could get the winner of that vs. Inoue for ALL THE BELTS at 118. 

• Like 1

Inoue is so much fun to watch. I'm surprised Dasmarinas was able to get up from the first one and definitely the second. Bring on that Donaire/Casimero vs. Inoue fight ASAP.

Anybody catch the Jermall Charlo fight? Worth watching? Lomachenko vs. Nakatani next week. Business picking up.

Jermall Charlo vs. Montiel was basically Jermall dominates for the first half of the fight, slows down, Montiel hits him with some good shots to cause very noticeable swelling on Jermall's face in the back half, but Montiel doesn't do enough to win rounds. 

• Like 1

Lomachenko looked good last night. More aggressive right off the bat. He and the commentators pushed that he was so passive on rounds 1-6 vs Lopez because of his shoulder he had surgery on afterwards. 

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Lomachenko looked good last night. More aggressive right off the bat. He and the commentators pushed that he was so passive on rounds 1-6 vs Lopez because of his shoulder he had surgery on afterwards. 

I am of the mind that's because Nakatani is just a great style matchup for him. Tall, lanky guy who smothers his own power. I think it was Bradley or Andre Ward that even pointed out what power can you generate when you're just laying against the ropes. More importantly, you give up all your reach advantage doing so. All he had for Lomachenko was a glacially slow jab and a 1-2 right hand. So yeah, a boxing machine like Lomachenko is going to ripe him apart.

I still think Teofimo creates the same problems with Lomachenko. Can he have more successful throughout the fight as opposed to just the second half of the fight? Perhaps. I just view the Nakatani fight as a rehab fight for Lomachenko. No more, no less.

It looks like the Fury vs. Wilder III PPV undercard is going to be an all HW affair. The most intriguing one is Efe Ajagba (he of the making dudes straight leave the ring instead of fighting him fame) vs. Frank Sanchez. Ajagba use to be with PBC and Richard Schaefer's Ringstar Promotions before going to Top Rank fairly recently. Sanchez is now PBC's top HW prospect or at least one of them.

The other two matchups include Adam Kownacki trying to avenge his upset KO loss to Robert Helenius and Fury's top sparring partner Jared Anderson against undefeated but completely untested Vladimir Tereshkin.

• Like 1