DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 8

Elsalvajeloco

At least we can always rely on Canelo to give just enough to his opponent that his detractors start coming out of the woodwork before he gets his late stoppage. As is tradition. Benavidez next if he wins his fight next weekend? 

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

At least we can always rely on Canelo to give just enough to his opponent that his detractors start coming out of the woodwork before he gets his late stoppage. As is tradition. Benavidez next if he wins his fight next weekend? 

Whoever he wants to fight basically on whatever platform he chooses.

I'll give it to Plant though. A number of years ago, I didn't think he could last 3 rounds with elite fighters let alone probably the best fighter in the world. He didn't back down and chose to actually fight Canelo. Around the 5th or 6th rounds, the momentum was moving solidly in favor of Canelo. However, Plant gave as good as he got. Canelo got a little tired, but just like many fights in the past, he gets his second wind and just completely took over. To me, Plant is easily Canelo's best win at 168. Callum Smith is a good fighter, but I never saw him as this beast that some of the boxing media thought he was. I would go Plant at 1, BJS at 2, and a distant 3rd being Callum Smith.

I just don't see what Benavidez could do that BJS and Plant couldn't do. He's a good puncher, but Canelo is probably the best puncher in the sport when you also add in that he can box when necessary. He's also not the boxer that Canelo is. It's really hard to judge what Benavidez can do because he hasn't ever really fought anyone I would say is good. Anthony Dirrell at best is solid. That's about it. He's fighting mediocre ShoBox guys who were never going to challenge him in any way. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That was another damn entertaining fight for boxing's sake. And definitely an great win for Crawford in order for him to gain recognition. Stopping Porter ain't an easy feat at all. 

Holy shit, Crawford's timing, footwork, and speed are so great but his strength was really surprising to me. He bullied the bullish but smaller Porter in the clinch and would shove him off with ease at times. Love watching Porter fight, so it's sad to see him retire but he knows his body and he's just not quite at that Spence and Crawford level. No shame in that though. He landed lots of power punches cleanly on Crawford early and fought the fight he needed but it still wasn't enough. Fuck, the first knockdown was like a boxing anime scene. Crawford dodges both of Porter's looping shot and lands a short uppercut to Porter leaning over. Great stuff from both men.

World needs Spencer vs. Crawford. Winner of that is the P4P best imo. 

• Like 2

Is the Golovkin win the best on Canelo's record? Or is it one of the Brits? As a casual, I don't see a lot of the wins Smith and co. rack up on the way to fighting Canelo, so I don't really know how good they are. The Golovkin decisions were a little dubious (I thought Alvarez won the rematch but lost the first), as I'm sure Natural would tell you. Dude still wants to see Alvarez die in the ring for that and eating a tainted steak lol. Cotto and Kovalev were past it when Canelo beat 'em. 

Right now it seems like Alvarez, Crawford, Spence in that order, but Alvarez hasn't beaten anybody the calibre of Spence or Crawford since the Golovkin win (not his fault).

21 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Is the Golovkin win the best on Canelo's record? Or is it one of the Brits? As a casual, I don't see a lot of the wins Smith and co. rack up on the way to fighting Canelo, so I don't really know how good they are. The Golovkin decisions were a little dubious (I thought Alvarez won the rematch but lost the first), as I'm sure Natural would tell you. Dude still wants to see Alvarez die in the ring for that and eating a tainted steak lol. Cotto and Kovalev were past it when Canelo beat 'em. 

Right now it seems like Alvarez, Crawford, Spence in that order, but Alvarez hasn't beaten anybody the calibre of Spence or Crawford since the Golovkin win (not his fault).

I think Jacobs was a good win, BJS was a good win, and Plant was a very good win. Again, I was never a Callum Smith but it's still a solid win. He's had some good wins since the last Golovkin fight. Even though Kovalev wasn't the boogeyman anymore when he beat him, that's still a solid win against a guy who had a very respectable resume at LHW.

Watch Lopez and Kambosos. Lopez is throwing with everything he got and Kambosos countered him at the end of the round and put him on a knee. Incredible stuff! Teofimo landed some great, clean shots and it at best wobbled Kambosos. 

15 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Watch Lopez and Kambosos. Lopez is throwing with everything he got and Kambosos countered him at the end of the round and put him on a knee. Incredible stuff! Teofimo landed some great, clean shots and it at best wobbled Kambosos. 

You mean you're not watching Triller Triad Combat w/Metallica?

I kid, but it honestly has not been as terrible as I expected it to be.

It's still not good though...

From someone who doesn't watch a lot of boxing, that was a fun fight. That was the first time I've watched a whole Lopez fight - would appreciate any commentary on this one. Was Kambosos horribly under-rated? Was it a case of Lopez having an off-night or his game plan being thrown off from the early knockdown?

Edit : That ending to Mir-Pulev could have been really ugly if Pulev had wanted. Really weird ending.

Edited by Setsuna

God damn, that was a great fight from George Kambosos. Great footwork and counterpunching early on then he took over in the middle rounds, leading the way and avoiding the worst of the power punches. Would've been really easy for him to cave in after Lopez's later round comeback and knockdown but he won the last two rounds and won it all as a result. 

Lopez looked terrible at the weigh-ins and he faded in the Loma fight, like the commentary said, but yeah he looked like he mostly punched himself out after that stupid (but god damn fun to watch) first round. 

Have there been many Sunday boxing PPVs lately? Iirc the Paul/Mayweather exhibition was on a Sunday. I'm looking forward to this. 

Haney looked really sharp last night. Jo Jo tried to put it on him with pressure and long combinations but Haney is so clean in his technique. Hopefully he can get a fight against a top name lightweight next. 

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Have there been many Sunday boxing PPVs lately? Iirc the Paul/Mayweather exhibition was on a Sunday. I'm looking forward to this. 

Haney looked really sharp last night. Jo Jo tried to put it on him with pressure and long combinations but Haney is so clean in his technique. Hopefully he can get a fight against a top name lightweight next. 

Paul vs. Woodley was on a Sunday.

• Like 1

Oh shit, I didn't see Kambosos and Haney all but agree to a fight last night. Good good.

Donaire, Inoue, Beterbiev have fights coming up the next couple of weeks too. Lomachenko vs. Commey is next weekend. Golovkin vs. Murata postponed. 

47 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Oh shit, I didn't see Kambosos and Haney all but agree to a fight last night. Good good.

Donaire, Inoue, Beterbiev have fights coming up the next couple of weeks too. Lomachenko vs. Commey is next weekend. Golovkin vs. Murata postponed. 

I was pleasantly surprised at Kambosos' performance last week and the fact he survived some really scary moments. However, I think Haney is just a better fighter overall. I think Kambosos will have his moments but so did JoJo Diaz last night. Still lost handily.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was pleasantly surprised at Kambosos' performance last week and the fact he survived some really scary moments. However, I think Haney is just a better fighter overall. I think Kambosos will have his moments but so did JoJo Diaz last night. Still lost handily.

Yeah, Haney looks to land heavier and is better defensively. I'm judging this purely off seeing these guys once though. I was surprised by Kambosos' hand speed, but even then Haney looks to be a bit quicker. Should be a fun fight.

• Like 1