DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 8

Elsalvajeloco

Mark Breland did the right thing in Wilder/Fury II throwing the towel in and Wilder callously fired him. The towel wasn't thrown in tonight and it sounds like this beating was much worse. You can't undo damage like that. It's life changing.

I can't think of a weirder style clash than Fury vs. Usyk. That said, Fury has to fight the Whyte if he beats Otto Wallin. Usyk has to rematch Joshua. Robert Helenius and Frank Sanchez, who both won tonight, will probably fight to determine who gets a mandatory shot on the PBC side. Jared Anderson will end as a mandatory if he keeps pummeling people. I'm assuming we get a Wilder vs. Ruiz crossroads fight sometime in the spring. Oh and I totally forgot about Joe Joyce. He has to be in against a top guy soon. I'm guessing the winner of Parker vs. Chisora II. Does the HW division somehow have the most depth in boxing?

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Both lads will have shaved a few years off with that fight. Wilder should probably hang them up and try to enjoy retirement, what heart. If Fury is able to get back to firing on full cylinders then I'd have him as favourite against Whyte and the winner of Usyk/Joshua. But he might have left it all in the ring.

17 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Both lads will have shaved a few years off with that fight. Wilder should probably hang them up and try to enjoy retirement, what heart. If Fury is able to get back to firing on full cylinders then I'd have him as favourite against Whyte and the winner of Usyk/Joshua. But he might have left it all in the ring.

Fury is probably the most interesting case of "how out of shape can you show up and still win fights" since Bowe. He was grossly out of shape in his last two fights. How much of that is just doing whatever and how much of it is just inactivity and getting closer to being over the hill? It seem like against Wallin that Wallin pushed him and made him dig into his reserves, which had in plenty. Same against Wilder in fight #3. However, I'm not sure that would work against someone who keeps a steady diet of activity on him. If Jared Anderson is giving him fits in training camp, I wonder how close are we to seeing a Tyson Fury who just can't getting it going and just doesn't look right. At 255-260, he seemed to be in the right space physically. You can't show up at almost 300 and fight a torrid pace for 36 minutes. I don't care how talented you are. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hammerva said:

Big E going from the FOX pre game show to support his Iowa Hawkeyes to live at the Fury vs Wilder title fight shows you that he is willing to be the kind of national WWE champion that is needed.  

• Like 1

Heart sank after he got up from the second knock down in round 4. It was over after that. Shame we have to see a bunch of stuff before we possibly get Usyk vs Fury. Usyk handled Joshua's size well but there's big athletic boxer and then there's Tyson Fury. Dude used every pound two fights in a row to exhaust Wilder. Usyk's footwork and technique will help him avoid getting leaned on, but it's gonna happen. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
12 hours ago, Jiji said:

Heart sank after he got up from the second knock down in round 4. It was over after that. Shame we have to see a bunch of stuff before we possibly get Usyk vs Fury. Usyk handled Joshua's size well but there's big athletic boxer and then there's Tyson Fury. Dude used every pound two fights in a row to exhaust Wilder. Usyk's footwork and technique will help him avoid getting leaned on, but it's gonna happen. 

Wouldn't surprise me if both Fury and Wilder retired after that, they both deserve to rest easy and count their money avoiding further punishment. If Fury carries on but remains at the level we just saw then Usyk and Joshua would be favourites in my book. I'd back Wilder to blast out most people in the division (Wilder v a guy with a chin like Joyce's would be an interesting test) but who knows what the KO will have taken out of him.

Dillian Whyte's heavyweight bout with Otto Wallin this month has been called off after the Briton suffered a shoulder injury.

The 33-year-old was due to face the Swedish fighter at the O2 Arena on 30 October, with the winner in line to face WBC champion Tyson Fury.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

They need to get Fury v Whyte sorted and out of the way, I reckon that would be a good buildup leading to a dull fight with Whyte's face getting jabbed in till a stoppage or UD. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Stevenson looks top notch. I know politricks will get in the way but the prospect of Davis, Loma, Lopez, Stevenson and Taylor mixing it up in the next few years is really exciting. 

PS apparently Chocolatito has covid, estrada 3 delayed. 

As someone much more into MMA, who only watches the big boxing fights and more often than not I don't, what are the chances of Caleb Plant beating Saul Alvarez? I'd like to see the upset plus I thought Triple G beat Canelo twice especially the first time round. Thanks.