DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 8

Elsalvajeloco

Right call. Legend and his legacy of guts above all else should be remembered for a long time. For such an aggressive fighter that was in some incredibly damaging battles, his longevity is remarkable. Was there a modern boxing attraction in more exciting fights than this guy? Tyson fights were different and probably felt more akin to public executions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jiji said:

Right call. Legend and his legacy of guts above all else should be remembered for a long time. For such an aggressive fighter that was in some incredibly damaging battles, his longevity is remarkable. Was there a modern boxing attraction in more exciting fights than this guy? Tyson fights were different and probably felt more akin to public executions. 

Gatti? However, here is my honest opinion about Gatti. Gatti is in the HOF because he had exciting fights and not based on his resume. Every fight against someone who was at HOF level, he lost and lost decisively. The boxing HOF hasn't been as lax as the NFL one, but if you compare Pacquiao and Gatti's resumes, then Manny must be a super duper hall of famer. He beat other future hall of famers in their prime across his best weight classes and outside of them, which is the criteria to be one.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I thought Manny Pacquiao would carry on boxing, glad I got that prediction wrong. Right to retire. One of the greatest to ever do it. My favourite boxing fight of all time by far is Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Manny Pacquiao IV from 8th of December 2012. So glad I watched it live. Nearly woke everyone up in the house especially when Manny was KTFO.

Edited by The Natural

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Just seen Wilder's ring walk gear, what an eejit. If he loses and blames the suit he's the bummiest bum who ever bummed.

FBBr9Z4VgA0aagj?format=jpg&name=medium

Shannon Courtenay is set to be stripped of her WBA bantamweight belt after missing the weight for her title defence against Jamie Mitchell.

The 28-year-old Briton weighed in 2.5lbs over the 188lbs (13st 6lb) limit on Friday afternoon in Liverpool.

Her bout will go ahead and promoter Eddie Hearn believes Mitchell will be allowed to fight for the belt.

"Shannon Courtenay has missed weight and I'll let her make a statement," Hearn told IFL TV.

"She's not going to make that weight and I think Jamie Mitchell will have a chance to win that WBA bantamweight title.

"Shannon's got to get over that emotionally and go and put on a performance."

Courtenay only won the world title in her last fight in April when she beat Australian rival Ebanie Bridges on points.

There was also drama in the weigh-in for the main event between local rivals Anthony Fowler and Liam Smith.

Fowler's team complained about Smith's weight while he was on the scales and the Liverpudlian was forced to strip down and weigh in behind a towel.

Among the verbal melee on stage which involved Fowler's coach Shane McGuigan and members of Smith's team, Smith did eventually weigh in at the 154lb limit.

Fowler and Smith then had words for each other during the final face-off between them, but the main event goes ahead as planned.

Edited by The Natural

Wound up being a dramatic fight since Fury decided to show up dumpy with sloppy technique. Deontay proved again he is an awful boxer with novice technique terrible stamina shitty sportsman with a million dollar punch but you always run into a guy you can't knock out. 33 rounds Wilder won 3.