DVDVR Message Board

Random Boxing Thoughts/News v. 8

Elsalvajeloco

It was funny hearing Froch defend BJS from the DAZN commentary team after trying his best to be bipartisan the whole night. 

That said, I figured the fight was going get called in between rounds 8 and 9. Saunders' body language pretty much told the story at the end of the round and walking back to his corner. He was either going to look for a way out or come out for round 9 and get absolutely shellacked. I would have sympathy, but then again, Saunders spent years (and I mean YEARS) angling to get this fight. You CANNOT quit in the corner.

....Well, you can but my point remains. ?

19 hours ago, Jiji said:

He's absolutely good at what he does but it will be interesting to see how Burns makes the most fascinating and entertaining sportsman of all time boring. 

I just sat through the entire Ernest Hemingway doc he did. It wasn't exactly thrilling, but it wasn't too bad. 

The challenge is what can he do that's more intriguing than the run on Ali docs in the past 15-20 years. He's use to being the definitive guy on these things. It's hard to be definitive when you can probably google search five amazing Ali or Ali adjacent non fictional works in a matter of seconds.  

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Brutal stuff from Buatsi but not sure if he has the tools to challenge the likes of Bivol.

This is one of the most hilarious pieces of business ever.

"I know we have a valid contract with Deontay Wilder, but lets pretend like we don't and just casually move on like the situation has been resolved."

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Can't wait for Taylor v Ramirez, winner will be the first undisputed junior welterweight champ since Crawford in '17.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hopefully Pacman can ride off into the sunset with a good battling performance, then Crawford v Spence has to happen, surely???

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Ramirez will probably want a rematch with Taylor given how close the scorecards were but I would back Taylor to win again, especially on home turf in Scotland. 

That felt like a fight Ramirez would eventually take over, but it never actually happened. Progais/Taylor kinda felt the same way to me. Maybe that's Taylor's gift. He allows you to feel confident enough that you'll get to him, but he's putting rounds (in the fight this past Saturday, key moments like those two knockdowns) in the bank.

• Like 1

It looked like Ramirez was finding his rhythm for three rounds and then he got put on the canvas and I don't think he ever quite recovered though he did try to valiantly fight back. Getting hit on the break like that was bad though. Even in the first round that it seemed like most thought Taylor won, Ramirez stunned him. I don't think it's too hard to see Ramirez winning a rematch but he'd have to make some adjustments and most fighters are pretty notoriously bad at adjusting. Awesome fight either way. Just look at what Cody Garbrandt looked like trying to be more measured to avoid getting KO'd in a fire fight. It's hard fighting your nature. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 6:52 AM, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

Can't wait for Taylor v Ramirez, winner will be the first undisputed junior welterweight champ since Crawford in '17.

E2ABT7qVUAETqxl?format=jpg&name=small

E2CoezRXsAQOTCc?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by The Natural

Just got around to watching the Showtime broadcast since I decided to watch Haney/Linares on Saturday instead.

I gotta say even though Donaire might not be in tip top shape and he's virtually training himself, he's still better than a good number of fighters at 118 and below. I dunno if that's a compliment or just an indictment about some of the matchmaking in the lowest divisions. I mean Chocolatito got absolutely decimated by Sor Rungvisai only a few years ago. He still may be the best Super Flyweight in the world.

One of the replies shows their legs in that same clip and his legs aren't gone. He was awkward as hell but fine. Floyd carrying these white boys like he's '87 Flair tho. ?