DVDVR Message Board

SDL is The Infinity Gauntlet - 1/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Ziggy said:

In NXT he came in and was booked like a star, in WWE he's been booked like a person that they are trying to get over to the WWE audience. Remember when he was WWE champ and they overdid the Low blow just drill it to the audience that he was a heel. I had no problem with him using the low blow but they completely overdid it to where it ruined his  matches with AJ. Nak has always been a great heel but WWE booked him as if he never worked heel. Lately he's been his natural heel self but he's pretty much midcard, slotted to have a token good to great match for the occasional top guy to pop a rating. Character wise,  he's been great he just isn't booked like he has much credibility yet he's been credible enough to be booked to have a great match with a Reigns or Bryan or Rey to draw in viewers

While it is true Nak was booked like a star, let's also not pretend his NXT run was anything but a let down. There is this weird narrative thing fans push about Nakamura like he's this great underutilized talent when every indication has seemed like he's treated the WWE like a retirement plan. He got a big money contract, and can work in 2nd gear and collect pay checks. 

For the record, I don't hold that against him, but it's felt pretty clear that's what he's doing. Which is why I'm kind of bummed it wasn't Cesaro put in the spot instead of Nak. Cesaro vs. Rey and Bryan would have been hits that Nak vs. those guys just wasn't. 

• Like 3