DVDVR Message Board

SDL is The Infinity Gauntlet - 1/8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That sound you heard was Natural screaming "NO" so loud he woke up everyone in his house at 4am local time.  

But it looks like we may get Shinsuke vs Roman, yay!

3am ;). I'm naively hoping it means Daniel Bryan wins the Men's Royal Rumble match.

The draw of the Royal Rumble is the Royal Rumble matches so WWE in the past has experimented with world title matches you wouldn't normally see on a Big Four PPV. Lesnar vs. Hardcore Holly at Royal Rumble 2004. Kurt Angle vs. Mark Henry at the 2006 Royal Rumble match long before Henry's Hall of Pain 2011 run.

What they're doing with Roman continues to be great. He wants to beat Pearce, but Heyman wisely tells him to do so within the rules. So pull strings to get Pearce into the gauntlet match, beat down whoever is left so Pearce wins and now Roman has a free pass to send Pearce to the maker of his choice in a legal match.

We'll see if Pearce tries to give someone else his spot. Nakamura deserves it and KO will be back. But the ongoing descent of Roman into madness is fantastic.

I like what they're doing with Sonya, too. She can't return to the ring just yet in story and probably wants some more time to readjust in real life. So making her a WWE official allows her to ease back into things at a more comfortable pace.

Not keen on Street Profits losing, but the match was really good.

Billie with the Riott Squad is going to be hilarious.

Really good show, IMO.

• Like 2

I guess Crews is a heel now? The restart looked to serve as a chance to turn him and also show Big E has a more aggressive side he can tap into.

Even though I'm not wild about Roode and Ziggler at the too of the tag card, the match was good and the profits showed some impressive selling and playing the underdogs.

The gauntlet match was fantastic despite featuring baron corbin and that bullshit ending. Hopefully they find some way to have nakamura get the rumble title shot.

27 minutes ago, The Natural said:

3am ;). I'm naively hoping it means Daniel Bryan wins the Men's Royal Rumble match.

You'd think it'd almost have to at this point.  It doesn't make any sense otherwise.  Goldberg gets pivoted to Drew for no reason whatsoever, Bryan loses tonight so that Pearce gets the Rumble match because Roman has to wrestle SOMEBODY...  It feels like Roman/Bryan is being saved.  But yeah, watch it get blown off on the Feb show...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

What they're doing with Roman continues to be great. He wants to beat Pearce, but Heyman wisely tells him to do so within the rules. So pull strings to get Pearce into the gauntlet match, beat down whoever is left so Pearce wins and now Roman has a free pass to send Pearce to the maker of his choice in a legal match.

We'll see if Pearce tries to give someone else his spot. Nakamura deserves it and KO will be back. But the ongoing descent of Roman into madness is fantastic.

I like what they're doing with Sonya, too. She can't return to the ring just yet in story and probably wants some more time to readjust in real life. So making her a WWE official allows her to ease back into things at a more comfortable pace.

Not keen on Street Profits losing, but the match was really good.

Billie with the Riott Squad is going to be hilarious.

Really good show, IMO.

You nailed it. Roman Reigns continues to be brilliant since his surprise SummerSlam 2020 return, Paul Heyman as his Legal Counsel, WWE Universal Champion, vs. Jey Uso to Jey Uso knowing his place and he's our Tribal Chief/The Head of the Table.

4 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

You'd think it'd almost have to at this point.  It doesn't make any sense otherwise.  Goldberg gets pivoted to Drew for no reason whatsoever, Bryan loses tonight so that Pearce gets the Rumble match because Roman has to wrestle SOMEBODY...  It feels like Roman/Bryan is being saved.  But yeah, watch it get blown off on the Feb show...

Here's hoping but WWE has many previous when it comes to going against sense. Hell it happened to Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan at Fastlane 2015 in February instead of WrestleMania XXXI.

Edited by The Natural

That gauntlet match was disappointing.

Sami/Rey was a quick squash which looked to be setting a tune...

Nakamura/Rey was underwhelming and they didn't seem to gel based off that. Nakamura hasn't looked great in WWE since his debut against Sami in NXT. He's just mostly been in cruise control since then.

Nakamura/Corbin was cold. Corbin isn't as terrible as most of you make him out, but that was an average segment.

Nakamura/Bryan was something I was excited for and I thought Bryan looked good in this as per usual, but again Nakamura continued in cruise control with very loose offense that didn't seem like it ever connected. Disappointed Bryan was eliminated. Pair him up with Gulak again, please.

Nakamura/Pearce wasn't really a match per se, but I'll applaud Pearce for his selling of the super kick as that was neat and probably the best thing in this entire gauntlet.

I guess this somehow leads to Reigns vs. Nakamura at the Rumble.

Don't waste 40 minutes on this and go look up the Ricochet/Gulak singles match from this weeks Main Event and thank me later.

Edited by Edwin

6 minutes ago, username said:

Daniel Bryan is on the SD booking team now and he doesn't seem like the type to book himself for the top title match at Mania, so I wouldn't get one's hopes up.

Yes, Bryan's one of the most selfless wrestlers ever.

6 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Nakamura/Rey was underwhelming and they didn't seem to gel based off that. Nakamura hasn't looked great in WWE since his debut against Sami in NXT. He's just mostly been in cruise control since then.

Nakamura/Corbin was cold. Corbin isn't as terrible as most of you make him out, but that was an average segment.

Nakamura/Bryan was something I was excited for and I thought Bryan looked good in this as per usual, but again Nakamura continued in cruise control with very loose offense that didn't seem like it ever connected. Disappointed Bryan was eliminated. Pair him up with Gulak again, please.

Nakamura/Pearce wasn't really a match per se, but I'll applaud Pearce for his selling of the super kick as that was neat and probably the best thing in this entire gauntlet.

I guess this somehow leads to Reigns vs. Nakamura at the Rumble.

Don't waste 40 minutes on this and go look up the Ricochet/Gulak singles match from this weeks Main Event and thank me later.

Nakamura was very hit and miss in NJPW.

I'm hoping WWE does the usual Gauntlet match for the Elimination Chamber match. 2019's was the best one with The New Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton on the go home Smackdown Live. Kofi went an hour as Seth Rollins did in the 2018 one. I just want Daniel Bryan to go over an hour again.

E vs. Crews had some nice stuff but that piss poor "double pin" took me out of it. Luckily the slap and pissed off E drew me back in a bit.

Profits vs. Dirty Dawgs was really good though I find myself torn on the decision. I'm totally ready for the Profits to no longer be champs, but I really want Ziggler on my tv as little as possible.

Billie forcing her way into the Riott Squad was fun. I assume it does not last.

The gauntlet match was fine. Nakamura had little chemistry with Rey & Corbin, but the actual matches were still ok. The Bryan/Nakamura match was easily the highlight and quite nice enough even if Nakamura was a bit exhausted. That said, I still wish this match had someone else in Bryan's spot. I didn't like Bryan being in when he already has entered the Rumble. The final bit with Peirce and Blood Lines was a good angle.

Absolutely loved the opening with Roman and Pierce. Pierce getting a title shot however I like a lot less even though the story behind it was good and well done. Really hope thy find a way to swap Pierce with Nakamura.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Nakamura was very hit and miss in NJPW.

I'm hoping WWE does the usual Gauntlet match for the Elimination Chamber match. 2019's was the best one with The New Daniel Bryan vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton on the go home Smackdown Live. Kofi went an hour as Seth Rollins did in the 2018 one. I just want Daniel Bryan to go over an hour again.

9 hours ago, Edwin said:

In NXT he came in and was booked like a star, in WWE he's been booked like a person that they are trying to get over to the WWE audience. Remember when he was WWE champ and they overdid the Low blow just drill it to the audience that he was a heel. I had no problem with him using the low blow but they completely overdid it to where it ruined his  matches with AJ. Nak has always been a great heel but WWE booked him as if he never worked heel. Lately he's been his natural heel self but he's pretty much midcard, slotted to have a token good to great match for the occasional top guy to pop a rating. Character wise,  he's been great he just isn't booked like he has much credibility yet he's been credible enough to be booked to have a great match with a Reigns or Bryan or Rey to draw in viewers

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

In NXT he came in and was booked like a star, in WWE he's been booked like a person that they are trying to get over to the WWE audience. Remember when he was WWE champ and they overdid the Low blow just drill it to the audience that he was a heel. I had no problem with him using the low blow but they completely overdid it to where it ruined his  matches with AJ. Nak has always been a great heel but WWE booked him as if he never worked heel. Lately he's been his natural heel self but he's pretty much midcard, slotted to have a token good to great match for the occasional top guy to pop a rating. Character wise,  he's been great he just isn't booked like he has much credibility yet he's been credible enough to be booked to have a great match with a Reigns or Bryan or Rey to draw in viewers

Still remember Jinder Mahal's wretched WWE Championship reign and how he went over Shinsuke Nakamura at SummerSlam 2017. Fuck me.