DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2021 - The "Regular" Season

Dolfan in NYC

The NHL's obsession with 5+ year contracts in a league with a hard, inflexible salary cap just doesn't make sense to me. Sure if you can do it for a McDavid or a Matthews or a Crosby that's one thing but there are a ton of B and C level guys with giant term deals that just seem very bad.

• Like 2

Given the GM turnout rate, a lot of guys probably figure they won't be there when the rent comes due. 

Of course, they will probably be employed by a different team with a salary cap headache by then. 

• Like 1

The San Jose Fairmount Hotel closed after filing for bankruptcy (they claim they will reopen in 2 to 3 months)

Why do I bring this up? Because it is the hotel the NHL used for visiting teams to San Jose

Vegas really got dicked because they were in the middle of staying there as they are in the middle of a 2 game set against the Sharks

The Blues are also scrambling since they were supposed to stay there starting Monday

23 hours ago, Death From Above said:

What can you even say about this clown anymore. Like, he's just taking dead aim at the head here, full stop. 

Kudos to Vrana for crosschecking Carlo twice after, too, including once in the head. 

On 3/6/2021 at 10:11 AM, Infinit said:

Two words: Jeff Skinner.

He scored a goal today, leave him alone. ?

Erik Karlsson's contract is completely untradeable. 11.5 million a year cap hit until 2026-27. 

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2021 at 4:58 PM, Tabe said:

Kudos to Vrana for crosschecking Carlo twice after, too, including once in the head. 

Wilson got 7 games. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I really wish we could harness the rage of Caps fans every time Wilson gets suspended

Such a renewable energy source

Just harness mine every time I disagree with the NHL's discipline it hands out to a player.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Hey, maybe that means ESPN will start putting NHL content on the front page of its web site again.  And stop burying it behind ellipses in with "Recruiting BB".  And, you know, showing scores on SportsCenter again.

• Like 1

On a more serious note, I wonder what effect that will have on the NHL streaming package that I currently pay for.  The article I read said the deal gives streaming rights to Disney but I wonder if that's separate from the "every game" package that I currently get.

12 hours ago, cubbymark said:

In a pro wrestling note does this mean NXT will still move to Tuesdays? 

Yes because the TV deal doesn't start until next season so you are still looking at 6 months of conflict.

Plus - the NHL on USA gives the WWE the excuse to move off of Wed without admitting that going against AEW was hurting NXT's ratings

21 hours ago, Death From Above said:

This has surely never happened before.

And yet, somehow, Detroit is not last overall this year.  Thank you Buffalo and your all-star defensive efforts!

On 3/15/2021 at 2:41 PM, Death From Above said:

This has surely never happened before.

Ryan Whitney led Edmonton in 2010 with 0G/24A in 31 games to set the record. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I was at the game last night and could think of no better ending to L Ralph Kreuger's coaching career than his team down a goal late putting the Devils under extreme pressure for almost 2 full minutes until they were forced to iced the puck, the Devils players are all more blown up than Ultimate Warrior in an iron man match with 36 seconds and Ralph calls a time out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

I was at the game last night and could think of no better ending to L Ralph Kreuger's coaching career than his team down a goal late putting the Devils under extreme pressure for almost 2 full minutes until they were forced to iced the puck, the Devils players are all more blown up than Ultimate Warrior in an iron man match with 36 seconds and Ralph calls a time out.

Man, that's brutal.  The clip I saw on Twitter from, I believe, the same game, was horrible.  All 5 Sabres acting like they're allergic to body contact or defense and waving at a Devils player who weaves through and scores.

• Like 1