DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2021 - The "Regular" Season

Dolfan in NYC

First games Wednesday.  

BUT FIRST...  Some news from Texas: 

They were scheduled to open with two games vs. Florida, both have been postponed indefinitely.  

This is already off to a great start. 

In the continuing saga where the NHL makes it hard for me to give them my money:

I got ahold of an actual person at NHL TV and expressed my desire to renew/update my subscription.  After going round and round with the guy telling me I don't have an account and then him telling me to use a PC to renew, and all kinds of other stuff...

He finally told me that I couldn't renew until my old subscription expired.  That's apparently January 12th.  I told the guy that was dumb, which apparently bothered him.  Told him it was nothing personal.  

So, yeah, with any luck, I'll be able to actually sign up for the new season on Tueday.  Not holding my breath.

• Haha 1

And the mess continues...

Went to renew my NHL TV subscription and it tells me, again, that I've already purchased an identical product for this season.  Weird since I canceled auto-renewal on 1/5 before it auto-renewed.  And, oh yeah, the credit card for auto-renewal is expired.

So I check my credit card account - yep, they charged my card.  Nice of the CC company to not reject the transaction on an expired card (/sarcasm).

So I get into their chat support and ask what's going on.  Guy says they billed me for renewal today (False - the transaction went in yesterday).  I asked how that could happen since I had canceled auto-renewal and the card is expired.  "That was our mistake".  So then he offers me a refund and then I can buy the package after I get the refund.  OK, cool.  Except, for no apparent reason, it will take a week for the refund to process.  Yeah, a week to process a refund on a fraudulent transaction.  Cool.  He then says I can watch games until my subscription is refunded.  That's great, except I want to watch tomorrow and my subscription was one team.  So I asked for a supervisor and the guy literally said one will contact me "real soon".  

I've disputed the charge on my card as well.

Needless to say, I'm not at all happy with the way this has gone.  I should never have signed up for auto-renewal.  Lesson learned.  

I ended up creating a new account with the NHL to get signed up for the NHL TV package.  Got signed up just in time to see the Red Wings continue their offensive dominance from last year by barely registering any shots while getting shut out by Carolina.  The defense, other than a bad giveaway from Captain Larkin, was better.  Carolina got a lot of shots but hardly any of them threatening.  Thomas Greiss looked solid in the nets.

The Red Wings are off to a hot start (snicker) with a 2-2 record.  That's pretty good considering how awful they've been but they're already behind last year's pace.  Last year they started 3-1 en route to finishing last overall.  Fortunately, there's nothing below last overall so it can't get worse.

In all seriousness, while the offense is still not great, the defense is a massive improvement over last year already.  Goalies aren't constantly hung out to dry and defensemen are occasionally in position.  And Bobby "Wait, that's not actually my name" Ryan has added 4 goals in 3 games to give the forwards a boost to offset Anthony Mantha's sleepwalking start.

2 hours ago, elizium said:

I hate that the Jets traded Lemieux

I hate his dad even more because if not for that game 7 goal he scored in the 1986 Adams Division Final the Whalers would've won the cup and never have been murdered.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:48 PM, sabremike said:

I hate his dad even more because if not for that game 7 goal he scored in the 1986 Adams Division Final the Whalers would've won the cup and never have been murdered.

I'm a Red Wings fan.  You can imagine how I feel about his dad.

• Like 1