DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

I hope that everyone that was enduring rough times in June is doing better now.

I don't have anything particularly awful to share.   We're going to visit my late father's sister in a couple of weeks.  My aunt hasn't been doing well lately and we're taking this opportunity to go visit them out in Cali.  It will give my brother, sister, and me and a chance to hang out with the cousins that are our age and also give my daughter some time to bond with the cousins that are her age.  

It is slowly dawning on my brother, sister, and me that in a few years, we'll be the eldest generation of the family so we need to get our shit straight.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, The Natural said:

In pain with my legs particularly the past few days. Just moving is challenging right now.

Is this something that you go through on regular basis due to CP, or is this worse than what you consider "normal"? Either way, hang in there man, and this may be absolutely the wrong thing to say, but self-harming is never the way to go! I'm sure you know that, but you are worth more than that and there is a whole board depending on your posts, so you need to tough it out man! Listen to some Ride the Lightening if nothing else mat...I mean helps!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Is this something that you go through on regular basis due to CP, or is this worse than what you consider "normal"? Either way, hang in there man, and this may be absolutely the wrong thing to say, but self-harming is never the way to go! I'm sure you know that, but you are worth more than that and there is a whole board depending on your posts, so you need to tough it out man! Listen to some Ride the Lightening if nothing else mat...I mean helps!

I'm in pain on a regular basis through the CP as it affects my whole body, my legs the most. I have flare ups when it's worse than normal either through an infection or without cause. It's worse than the normal right now. My entire body aches.

No, self-harming isn't the way to go, it's trying to break that cycle I've found myself in. Thanks for saying the board needs me and the Metallica references especially the one you ended on, that was nicely done.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm in pain on a regular basis through the CP as it affects my whole body, my legs the most. I have flare ups when it's worse than normal either through an infection or without cause. It's worse than the normal right now. My entire body aches.

No, self-harming isn't the way to go, it's trying to break that cycle I've found myself in. Thanks for saying the board needs me and the Metallica references especially the one you ended on, that was nicely done.

I hope you will feel better soon both physically and otherwise. Life has been throwing some serious curve-balls at your direction recently and while it's grossly unfair, sometimes the shit-storm just seems never-ending. However, at some point it just has to ease up and thus get at least a little better. Hopefully, that time will come soon for you. Until then, I seem to get some really powerful positive emotions through music, as I'm sure you do too! Harness those emotions and use them in order to feel at least a little better in the mean time.

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:41 PM, Shartnado said:

I hope you will feel better soon both physically and otherwise. Life has been throwing some serious curve-balls at your direction recently and while it's grossly unfair, sometimes the shit-storm just seems never-ending. However, at some point it just has to ease up and thus get at least a little better. Hopefully, that time will come soon for you. Until then, I seem to get some really powerful positive emotions through music, as I'm sure you do too! Harness those emotions and use them in order to feel at least a little better in the mean time.

Appreciate that, @Shartnado. Best wishes, mate.

On 7/4/2021 at 5:43 PM, Shartnado said:

Yeah, have a safe time out there, but DO enjoy yourselves!!

This.

On 7/4/2021 at 9:52 AM, The Natural said:

Sorry to hear about the pain flare-ups, my man.  Hang in there and do your best.  You’re one of the good ones.  If you can make it to The Colonies here, I have some leftover Percs from my issues earlier in the year!  ?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Sorry to hear about the pain flare-ups, my man.  Hang in there and do your best.  You’re one of the good ones.  If you can make it to The Colonies here, I have some leftover Percs from my issues earlier in the year!  ?

Thanks, @Technico Support. Thanks also for the Interstellar and Cody Rhodes posts. Best wishes, matey.

• Haha 1

Ralfie Clay was sadly put to sleep today. Gutted at his loss. We saved his life at the start of the year giving him six months because some POS dumped him, he was so bony. The first photo was the day we brought him home, January and the second taken at the start of July.

173463513_10158181822068862_171115340479

212329970_4888605351155795_5624175575800

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 11

My wife came home from church in a rage.  She bumped into a nurse who used to work for one of my father's doctors.  Apparently, the woman was one of the few people in church wearing a mask and someone my wife got to talking to her and asked the other woman why she isn't getting vaccinated.  Not really clear on why she distrusts the vaccine, but the woman told my wife she and her husband were wearing masks because they had health conditions that would make getting Covid "very bad" but they didn't think they needed the vaccine because they trusted god.

I mean, this is a woman with four or five decades of experience working as a medical professional being an anti-vaxxer!  I'm incredulous.  The couple is in their 70's, African-American, and apparently immunio-compromised.  And they're coming with some sort of looney tunes reason to not get shots.  Just.  F'ing.  Incredible.  Honestly, I'm relieved this woman retired.  I don't think she should be working in a medical office with this attitude.

CDC said a day or two ago that 99.7% of new cases - including Delta variant - are unvaccinated.  I'm beginning to wonder why it's anyone else's problem if people believe fake conspiracy theories and won't take an hour or so out of their day to go get a shot.  You know the risks, you make a choice.  Consequences are entirely on you.

Rant over.  Just..... I don't expect much from most people and I'm still frequently let down.  Ugh.

BTW, about six weeks ago, I ranted a bit about a niece who hadn't gotten inoculated basically because her boyfriend's family are longtime anti-vaxxers.  Fortunately, she smartened up and got vaccinated shortly after I said that.     

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, Eoae said:

My wife came home from church in a rage.  She bumped into a nurse who used to work for one of my father's doctors.  Apparently, the woman was one of the few people in church wearing a mask and someone my wife got to talking to her and asked the other woman why she isn't getting vaccinated.  Not really clear on why she distrusts the vaccine, but the woman told my wife she and her husband were wearing masks because they had health conditions that would make getting Covid "very bad" but they didn't think they needed the vaccine because they trusted god.

I mean, this is a woman with four or five decades of experience working as a medical professional being an anti-vaxxer!  I'm incredulous.  The couple is in their 70's, African-American, and apparently immunio-compromised.  And they're coming with some sort of looney tunes reason to not get shots.  Just.  F'ing.  Incredible.  Honestly, I'm relieved this woman retired.  I don't think she should be working in a medical office with this attitude.

CDC said a day or two ago that 99.7% of new cases - including Delta variant - are unvaccinated.  I'm beginning to wonder why it's anyone else's problem if people believe fake conspiracy theories and won't take an hour or so out of their day to go get a shot.  You know the risks, you make a choice.  Consequences are entirely on you.

Rant over.  Just..... I don't expect much from most people and I'm still frequently let down.  Ugh.

BTW, about six weeks ago, I ranted a bit about a niece who hadn't gotten inoculated basically because her boyfriend's family are longtime anti-vaxxers.  Fortunately, she smartened up and got vaccinated shortly after I said that.     

I feel your pain. This shit is just un fucking believable. I'm still a few weeks away from shot #2 , and all this shit I'm hearing is just heartbreaking!

• Like 1

We were supposed to get together in Kansas this coming weekend to inter and have a memorial for my grandparents.  Turns out my idiot sister and one of my cousins and their families aren't vaccinated, which meant that my aunt who is undergoing cancer treatment couldn't go, which turned into a whole thing and now it's cancelled.  While I don't really care about the memorial (my grandparents have been dead for 10 & 2 years, I've already mourned) I was looking forward to seeing that part of the family.  We've all had this tacit agreement for 15 years to just pretend my sister doesn't believe in the dumb shit she believes in, but it looks like that's not really tenable anymore.

I also found out this weekend that my old friend and roommate died.  He was a tremendously funny and kind person who gave me a place to stay when I had nowhere else to go.  Lately I had only seen him at best once every few years, but it always felt like no time had passed: just sitting on the couch drinking beer and talking over whatever movie we were watching.  RIP Louie, one of god's own prototypes.

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

We were supposed to get together in Kansas this coming weekend to inter and have a memorial for my grandparents.  Turns out my idiot sister and one of my cousins and their families aren't vaccinated, which meant that my aunt who is undergoing cancer treatment couldn't go, which turned into a whole thing and now it's cancelled.  While I don't really care about the memorial (my grandparents have been dead for 10 & 2 years, I've already mourned) I was looking forward to seeing that part of the family.  We've all had this tacit agreement for 15 years to just pretend my sister doesn't believe in the dumb shit she believes in, but it looks like that's not really tenable anymore.

I also found out this weekend that my old friend and roommate died.  He was a tremendously funny and kind person who gave me a place to stay when I had nowhere else to go.  Lately I had only seen him at best once every few years, but it always felt like no time had passed: just sitting on the couch drinking beer and talking over whatever movie we were watching.  RIP Louie, one of god's own prototypes.

Sorry the memorial was called off due to those circumstances and my condolences on your loss, @Zimbra xxx.

My wife has to have surgery either this week or next. Minor procedure when all is said and done but she is nervous. It's been building to this for over a year. I'm so tired. I just want to see her well again. Neither of us is the religious type so I guess we get no solace there. I'm going through a bout of depression and trying to mask it but it's so obvious. Feel left behind. Why can't we both be happy?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

My wife has to have surgery either this week or next. Minor procedure when all is said and done but she is nervous. It's been building to this for over a year. I'm so tired. I just want to see her well again. Neither of us is the religious type so I guess we get no solace there. I'm going through a bout of depression and trying to mask it but it's so obvious. Feel left behind. Why can't we both be happy?

Thinking of you both. Hope you feel better soon xxx.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2021 at 9:37 PM, Control said:

I’m Professor Control 8 months of the year on bad contracts. This would mean I’d be Professor Control for two whole years on a slightly better  contract that includes dental insurance.

I did not get this job! I will not go into the details (the short version: “you gave the best interview but we hired the other guy anyway”).

I did, however, get a better contract than usual, so I’ll be in a 10-month contract with dental, etc.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Control said:

I did not get this job! I will not go into the details (the short version: “you gave the best interview but we hired the other guy anyway”).

I did, however, get a better contract than usual, so I’ll be in a 10-month contract with dental, etc.

Sorry you didn't get the one you went for. Good that you'll be getting a better contract!

• Thanks 1

Daily Covid cases are going down in Canada. Nearly 50 per cent of eligible Canadians are fully vaccinated.

25.8M (20 percent) in Japan are fully vaccinated, about around 80 percent of Japan's elderly are vaccinated.

Edited by D.Z

Washington state as a whole has finally hit the 70% vaccination mark but most of the people around me still haven't gotten it. My girlfriend and I (as well as both her parents) are vaccinated but my sister, her husband and all 4 of their kids (as well as 3 out of my 4 coworkers) still haven't gotten it. Despite the fact that every Safeway, Walmart, Kroeger, Walgreens and Rite Aid in the area have signs up practically begging people to come get the shot. And of course they all have some BS excuse for not getting it. 

On 7/18/2021 at 3:17 AM, BrianS81177 said:

Washington state as a whole has finally hit the 70% vaccination mark but most of the people around me still haven't gotten it. My girlfriend and I (as well as both her parents) are vaccinated but my sister, her husband and all 4 of their kids (as well as 3 out of my 4 coworkers) still haven't gotten it. Despite the fact that every Safeway, Walmart, Kroeger, Walgreens and Rite Aid in the area have signs up practically begging people to come get the shot. And of course they all have some BS excuse for not getting it. 

Not gonna lie - this one really got under my skin. Just think of the hundreds of millions ( billions, in all likely ) of people in the world who would give everything to get those shots. I live in Myanmar and we're getting hit with the 'third wave', but it's been horrendously worse than anything before. Everyone that I know has lost someone in the past couple of weeks and we're not the only country in the region in this position. What really grates on my nerves was seeing a subsect of the Trumpers, most likely all anti-vax, using Myanmar as an example of what should have happened in the States and just....an incoherent rant is all that comes to my mind. 

That's it, I won't go into it any further as much as I'd like to rant about the situation here. Also, this is by no means a political post - I'm not American so not attempting to draw anyone into anything. I guess, if you could take one thing from this, remember that as fucked as you think your country is ( whatever side you're on), at least appreciate the healthcare system and support that is in place because most of the world does not have that.

Unless you've bought into the 'Myanmar military are the good guys line'. Then go fuck yourself.  Conspiracy theorists who think they 'know' are also the most easily led to believe absolute total bullshit propaganda.  

• Sad 2

On 7/14/2021 at 8:13 PM, Control said:

I'm sorry, dude. ?

I've been on the bad side of interviews like that.  

Happy to hear that you got a better contract, though!  

My daughter, sister, mom, and I went to California last week to visit my aunt (my father's sister).   She's not doing very well.  She's got some neurological condition that has degraded her to the point where she is bed ridden and cannot even feed herself.  We're not only concerned about her, but we're also worried about my uncle as the caretaking effort is really taking a toll on him.   We're all kinda loving on him and trying to keep his spirit strong.

I've got to do a better job of keeping in touch with my WC cousins that are my age since we'll be the elder generation before we know it.  I can't let life get so busy that I forget to check in with them and let them all know that I love them.  I'm also urging my daughter to do the same.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1