DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

Message board posters can provide guidance if needed for handling things if Twitter becomes a bit less active in the near future.

I think the things sorta propping Twitter up are..

1) real time reactions to live events (mostly sports)

2) various media outlets posting links to their stories on Twitter

3) endless hashtag wars

So it's not entirely like MySpace, which was taken down due to a combination of years of bad publicity and Facebook opening up to non-college students.

If your site has been around for 15 years, it's probably literally on a downward trend unless you're thinking Twitter is surging in the 2030s or you're a message board and you've been sorta with your same group for years.

Web Browser user shares come to mind as a reminder that things can go in cycles. Chrome is dominant and has been for years. But originally Firefox was the first big challenger to IE, only for Chrome to emerge and surpass IE and Firefox at the same time.

If some site emerged (or was essentially the new branch of an existing big social media site) and focused on the concepts of tweeting live sports and TV instead of trying to do a curated non-lineal timeline or endless political chatter, that probably removes some people's reason to be on Twitter, and if you're posting your article links on Twitter, you're still doing that until something else emerges to replace that or Twitter becomes too toxic to associate your brand with.

Also I suspect a certain amount of Twitters value is inflated by the bots that some people want to get rid of.

really, the whole "remove the bots with verification" thing has the potential to cause an exodus because there's a mix of internet people who are either paranoid about their privacy (for some good reasons too) or people who don't want to change anything. So if they require verifying identities, people who could do that would just leave instead. Twitter is more likely to become less-weird Tumblr than a 4chan knockoff.

Meanwhile, Snap Inc, a company that sometimes actively costs themselves millions due to idiocy, has a product that is more used than Twitter

I’m currently in the same room as an orange cat that might be experiencing stress due to a combination of “his tuxedo cat friend died at 15ish last week due to a kidney failure and he misses him”, “the neighbors shot off fireworks last night like dumb assholes and scared him downstairs” and “another cat hissed at him for startling her so he went back into a corner and peed on the floor due to stress”

Also to add to the stress, I guess the situation at home right now is too similar/too soon to when the tuxie went off to the vet and never came back.

The tuxedo cat, the oldest of the cats around here, had a few enemies because he was an asshole to some cats. One of the tortie cats would stay in one room to avoid him and she was outside of her room today, on the floor, when the orange cat jumped from a table to the floor behind her and that startled her. I decided to let her go back into her saferoom after that.

Basically the orange cat doesn’t stir up stuff but he’s been a bit scared lately. He had been around the tuxie for awhile, they had a morning routine where the tuxie would harass him through wrestling. There’s probably a void in various cat lives right now even the ones who hated the tuxie.

• Sad 1

Thanks for the talk about CPAP machines, guys.

Got told I had mild sleep apnoea a few months ago - trialled/rented a CPAP machine, had a cold the same week so it just felt like it was suffocating me while I slept, and once cold went, was waking up at like 4am, fully rested/ready to go for the day, but would massively hit the wall by about 3pm. So figured, I'd try again once I moved house in a few months time. 

Glad to hear its worth persevering with.

• Like 5

Wife and sister-in-law left this morning for Georgia.  They're going to meet up with a couple of friends and spend two weeks hiking the Appalachian Trail.  Hoping to cover about 230 miles in 14 days.  I'm torn between being immensely proud of them and apprehensive because they seem to be underestimating the degree of difficulty.  My wife has a background in endurance sports and did some multi-day hikes when she was younger and still living in Australia, but that a long while ago.  My sister-in-law doesn't have any experience in this kind of thing.  They're both capable, so It'll probably be fine, but I'll be relieved when this adventure is over.

Found out yesterday that two of my daughters have made all their student loan payments even during the Covid payment freeze.  Their reasoning is they knew what they were getting into when we signed the paperwork, so they're not in favor of pauses or amnesty programs.  I raised good kiddos.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Wife and sister-in-law left this morning for Georgia.  They're going to meet up with a couple of friends and spend two weeks hiking the Appalachian Trail.  Hoping to cover about 230 miles in 14 days.  I'm torn between being immensely proud of them and apprehensive because they seem to be underestimating the degree of difficulty.  My wife has a background in endurance sports and did some multi-day hikes when she was younger and still living in Australia, but that a long while ago.  My sister-in-law doesn't have any experience in this kind of thing.  They're both capable, so It'll probably be fine, but I'll be relieved when this adventure is over.

Found out yesterday that two of my daughters have made all their student loan payments even during the Covid payment freeze.  Their reasoning is they knew what they were getting into when we signed the paperwork, so they're not in favor of pauses or amnesty programs.  I raised good kiddos.

Damn, that's hardcore! On both fronts!

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2022 at 7:29 PM, Shartnado said:

So yeah, we are currently visiting Edinburgh, as that is my wife's favorite city. This May 1st we are celebrating 20th anniversary of our relationship, although we've actually been married for close to 12 years. I still very clearly remember stuff that happened 20 years ago, even though few years in both decades to follow are a blur. Maybe people will freak out to know that Lose Yourself by Eminem was 20 years ago and next year, Fallen by Evanescence will be 20 years old, too! Feel old, yet?

Happy Anniversary! Love, Paul xxx.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Happy Anniversary! Love, Paul xxx.

Thanks, Bro! We had a brunch at her favorite restaurant this morning, otherwise it's just been chillin' out at home. We returned home on Friday, after a night at an airport hotel. It's been a nice little holiday for us, pretty wild to think that it has been 20 years, now! Good times.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Thanks, Bro! We had a brunch at her favorite restaurant this morning, otherwise it's just been chillin' out at home. We returned home on Friday, after a night at an airport hotel. It's been a nice little holiday for us, pretty wild to think that it has been 20 years, now! Good times.

Pleasure, pal. Congratulations on 20 years and glad you had a great time!

• Like 1

NOTE -- that's a draft opinion.  Apparently one of the justices is "on the fence" about it.  I doubt it will change, but we'll know for certain in June/July.    

I swear on Christ Almighty, that's all we'll discuss about it here.  The internet is shitty enough without that discourse coming here.   

Go to the Discord, go to Twitter, go to Facebook, go anywhere else.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

NOTE -- that's a draft opinion.  Apparently one of the justices is "on the fence" about it.  I doubt it will change, but we'll know for certain in June/July.    

I swear on Christ Almighty, that's all we'll discuss about it here.  The internet is shitty enough without that discourse coming here.   

Go to the Discord, go to Twitter, go to Facebook, go anywhere else.  

First off, what in the flying fuck?!

Second, I created this Discord mainly to keep political stuff out of the board though know it's going to be hard not to mention it on here.  But for the sake of the admins if you need to please do it here.  https://discord.gg/kyBKaHE

Third, aw fuck it, WHAT IN THE FLYING FUCK?!

• Like 1

I started a new job at the beginning of March at this shipping logistics company. It's my first office/corporate job, and I never thought I'd end up in that realm, but it's super laid back and a cool place to work. And after working in the service industry for fourteen years, it's QUIET and man, is that sorely needed.

Anyway, just under two months in and I got a promotion already. 10% raise to go with it. I'm landing on this job with both feet, and that's after a hellacious last year in which I got fired twice. One of those times was a week after recovering from COVID. 

Then, yesterday, my niece and nephew got Student of the Month and Artist of the Month awards. They go to the same school. And my sister got a good review at work. 

I think we deserve pizza. And a big ass 2-liter of Dr. Pepper. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, southofheavy said:

I started a new job at the beginning of March at this shipping logistics company. It's my first office/corporate job, and I never thought I'd end up in that realm, but it's super laid back and a cool place to work. And after working in the service industry for fourteen years, it's QUIET and man, is that sorely needed.

Anyway, just under two months in and I got a promotion already. 10% raise to go with it. I'm landing on this job with both feet, and that's after a hellacious last year in which I got fired twice. One of those times was a week after recovering from COVID. 

Then, yesterday, my niece and nephew got Student of the Month and Artist of the Month awards. They go to the same school. And my sister got a good review at work. 

I think we deserve pizza. And a big ass 2-liter of Dr. Pepper. 

Congratulations to you and to y'all!

• Thanks 1