DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

I was already terrified to get Lasik (though I need it given my astigmatism) but this makes it seem even worse. My back breaks and I have to stay in a brace for six months? Fine. My arm breaks and you have to give me surgery implanting a steel plate? Okay. But you fuck with my vision I really get scared. If I can't see I will find the closest sharp object and do the deed. 

• Like 5

On 1/27/2022 at 1:20 AM, Curt McGirt said:

I was already terrified to get Lasik (though I need it given my astigmatism) but this makes it seem even worse. My back breaks and I have to stay in a brace for six months? Fine. My arm breaks and you have to give me surgery implanting a steel plate? Okay. But you fuck with my vision I really get scared. If I can't see I will find the closest sharp object and do the deed. 

Oh no, man.  LASIK was awesome.  The surgery was fast and painless and I could see perfectly a few hours later.  Just the part between the surgery and getting to sleep sucked because the LASIK center I went to was very gunshy on the pain management tip. 

• Like 3

They'd have to hold me down Clockwork Orange style though probably. I tried on three separate occasions through the years to get contacts and I can't get them in. The last doctor mumbled "I'll get em in for you" and he's lucky he didn't try because I probably would have decked him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My Aunt, who I was very close with, passed away very unexpectedly on Wednesday at the ripe old age of 56. As you can imagine, we're all taking it really hard, although I'm not trying to pretend that it's impacting me the same way as it is her husband and children. For me, it hasn't really sunk in yet. I can honestly say I have a great support system, even being across the country. My wife and sister in law both are checking in with me, and my buddies at work made it their goal yesterday to keep me smiling and laughing as much as possible.

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, Mike Campbell said:

My Aunt, who I was very close with, passed away very unexpectedly on Wednesday at the ripe old age of 56. As you can imagine, we're all taking it really hard, although I'm not trying to pretend that it's impacting me the same way as it is her husband and children. For me, it hasn't really sunk in yet. I can honestly say I have a great support system, even being across the country. My wife and sister in law both are checking in with me, and my buddies at work made it their goal yesterday to keep me smiling and laughing as much as possible.

I'm so sorry man.  

I know all corrective eye surgeries are safe and done fairly quick, but all I can see is that one scene from Dead Space 2 that's very famous. This makes me chuckle to myself, but it's still weird that it's what I think of.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

Been there before, uncle, almost the same age about 21 years ago. Hang in there.

7 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

I'm sorry to hear that, Mike.  It always freaks me out when someone close to my own age passes away. I'm 53.

Hang in there, man.

Edited by J.T.

9 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

So sorry. My condolences at this difficult time xxx.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I'm sorry to hear that, Mike.  It always freaks me out when someone close to my own age passes away. I'm 53.

Hang in there, man.

53 is the age I lost my much missed Mum, most poignant number in my life that.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm doing my best. I got through Thursday thanks to my work buddies, and I had to babysit my niece yesterday, so I've been keeping distracted. But, it started hitting me last night. An old memory just popped into my head and I was simultaneously laughing and crying. I'm about to head in to work for my PT gig, and I'm honestly afriad that it's going to hit me in the middle of my shift when we're slammed.

In addtion I've also slept like absolute shit the last two nights, and I realized at about 6 PM last night that all I'd eaten for the entire day were two cups of coffee that morning. Just for the hell of it, I stepped on the scale. I typically walk around in the 240-250 range, and I'm trying to get down to 225. Apparently, grief agrees with my weight loss, I tipped the scales at 227!

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 12:02 PM, Curt McGirt said:

They'd have to hold me down Clockwork Orange style though probably. I tried on three separate occasions through the years to get contacts and I can't get them in. The last doctor mumbled "I'll get em in for you" and he's lucky he didn't try because I probably would have decked him. 

I am very twitchy and on top of that I have a lazy eye (that I learned how to control the movement of as a kid, long story), so I was concerned before getting LASIK about 15 years ago. But what they do is suction up your eyeball so you can't blink (not painful, just some pressure) and its all done by laser. It doesn't really have any feeling that would make you even want to blink, its an odd thing. If the laser notices any eye movement at all, it stops until your eye is back where it should be, so it won't cut the wrong place. My doctor even had to politely ask me to stop moving my eye (it wasn't on purpose) but the surgery went off without a hitch due to the built-in safeguards.

That's to say, I recommend it to everyone that I know that is interested, but I wouldn't recommend watching youtube videos of the procedure first.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2022 at 9:41 AM, twiztor said:

i have corrective eye surgery (PRK - PhotoRefractive Keratectomy) scheduled for tomorrow.

update: i'm not dead or blind. surgery was quick and painless. still minimizing my screen time, so won't be here a ton, but thanks everyone!

and @Mike Campbell, i'm sorry to hear about your Aunt.

• Like 7

At the risk of jinxing things, we're finally heading toward normal in the House of Tabe.

Myself, my wife, and brother-in-law are all testing negative for COVID.  Mother-in-law is still positive but feels fine.  My wife is going back to work tomorrow.  Myself, I finally feel pretty much normal.  The tiredness and exhaustion are pretty much gone, thankfully.  So we're getting there.

Much appreciate all the notes and kind words.

• Like 8

So, my brother tested positive for COVID-19.

And he was the only one on the work trip to test positive, so it's very likely he was exposed during the extra 24 hours we had to wait because of the storm. Because we knew he was travelling to a high risk area (Florida, land of the Anti-Vaxxers and "LOL WHAT COVID" Governor), we've tried to minimize our exposure to each other in the days since he returns.

Now that he's tested positive, he will be getting a hotel room for a week or two until he's clear of symptoms, which means it's just me and the doggos for the next ten days. And wondering if every sniffle and bit of trouble is COVID-19. This is doing wonders for my anxiety, let me tell you.

Being on immunosuppressants sucks in many ways. This is one of the big ones. Especially since my treatment team (health care worker etcetera) have been trying to get answers on what treatments I should get (as an immunosupressed, getting even the milder COVID-19 variant is dangerous) for weeks now. Now it's no longer theoretical, but a possibility/probability.

Time to take a few deep breaths I think. And take the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy cover seriously. "DON'T PANIC!"

• Sad 8

12 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Major car accident.  Probably totaled.  I'm fine.  Hydroplaned on a bridge and did the full 180 into the barricade.  Thank god I didn't hit anyone.

Dang, man, you don't mess around. I recommend not doing this again. 

Seriously, super glad you're OK. 

13 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Major car accident.  Probably totaled.  I'm fine.  Hydroplaned on a bridge and did the full 180 into the barricade.  Thank god I didn't hit anyone.

Sounds scary af! I take it you were driving by yourself with no family members in the car? If so, that was a blessing. Good to hear you are ok. These things are always terrifying. Very few mundane things make me as anxious as driving, in general, so crashes are nightmare-fodder.

8 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Sounds scary af! I take it you were driving by yourself with no family members in the car? If so, that was a blessing. Good to hear you are ok. These things are always terrifying. Very few mundane things make me as anxious as driving, in general, so crashes are nightmare-fodder.

Just me. I drive like crazy now— I’m in like 5 counties. Used to say I could make those drives in my sleep. Not anymore.

• Like 2