DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

Did my Christmas Card delivery today which I've been doing for many years. I lost my Mum in 2014 and I wasn't wanting to do Christmas but we did. This year is only the second since then I wasn't up for doing Christmas but we have. Physically I wasn't good before said delivery dash today and even more so now, I'm knackered. 2021 physically and mentally has fucked me to be frank. Still here and fighting!

• Like 8

My parents second test from the Binax thing were also negative, so hopefully mine is later tonight as well, although my father got a shitty cold regardless, so that's always fun. Probably, just from general public exposure the few days after being around my aunt. Standard annoying symptoms.

• Sad 1

Spent Christmas in a small coastal town in Southern Finland with my wife. Nice and quiet. Hotel had an adjacent Spa and overall there's not that many other guests. Food was really good. We are heading back home today, but it's a long-ass drive home (by Finnish standards, anyway) and it's been snowing back home, so I know what I'll be doing this evening.

• Like 2

What's shaking?

Er, well, me, actually. Earlier this morning the Columbia area had it's 5th earthquake in a couple days. The first one I more heard than felt - windows rattling, a weird growling noise outside that I thought was from construction, and the one this morning probably is why I woke up with a bit of a panic attack. They're not strong enough to do any damage to this out house, but it definitely falls under DO NOT WANT.

• Sad 5

43 minutes ago, JLSigman said:

What's shaking?

Er, well, me, actually. Earlier this morning the Columbia area had it's 5th earthquake in a couple days. The first one I more heard than felt - windows rattling, a weird growling noise outside that I thought was from construction, and the one this morning probably is why I woke up with a bit of a panic attack. They're not strong enough to do any damage to this out house, but it definitely falls under DO NOT WANT.

Bloody hell. Virtual hugs, @JLSigman xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JLSigman said:

What's shaking?

Yeah, fuck that. I have only felt one "earthquake" and that was 10 or 11 years ago. It was an earthquake in southern Illinois that we felt all the way up here in northern Indiana. The less than 15 seconds it probably lasted felt like forever and the feeling of my office building shaking or even swaying is disorienting. I can't imagine having that many rumbles in that short of a span of time or living somewhere like California and it being a regular occurrence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, fuck that. I have only felt one "earthquake" and that was 10 or 11 years ago. It was an earthquake in southern Illinois that we felt all the way up here in northern Indiana. The less than 15 seconds it probably lasted felt like forever and the feeling of my office building shaking or even swaying is disorienting. I can't imagine having that many rumbles in that short of a span of time or living somewhere like California and it being a regular occurrence.

Do co-workers ever shake your chair around and yell earthquake to annoy you? They may start soon....

On 12/17/2021 at 7:55 PM, The Natural said:

I had my first two vaccine jabs, AstraZeneca in March and May at the doctors I'm registered at. Shortly after, AZ wasn't recommended for under 40s as I remember. The booster wasn't going to be available from my GPs. Checked my phone at the right time today when a text came through from my practice saying they're doing them and to book online. 30th December is when I go for it. You just pick 1 of the 3 administering it without knowing who.

Back home from my Booster, Pfizer so I've levelled up. Been awake since 2am as I couldn't get back to sleep. Will try to get some after this goes through. Paul xxx.

• Like 3

Don't know how many of you are seeing this on the news, but Boulder County out here in Colorado is on fire. The towns of Superior, Louisville, and Broomfield have been evacuated and nearly 600 homes have been destroyed. I was out in that area yesterday on route for my job, and today I wasn't that far away when I first noticed the smoke rising up and filling the sky. We're only about 15 miles away from the wildfires but the insane winds aren't blowing our way. It's a god damned nightmare, the night sky is glowing in the distance.

Boulder County crews responding to two grass fires

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Sad 7

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
On 12/31/2021 at 2:06 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

Don't know how many of you are seeing this on the news, but Boulder County out here in Colorado is on fire. The towns of Superior, Louisville, and Broomfield have been evacuated and nearly 600 homes have been destroyed. I was out in that area yesterday on route for my job, and today I wasn't that far away when I first noticed the smoke rising up and filling the sky. We're only about 15 miles away from the wildfires but the insane winds aren't blowing our way. It's a god damned nightmare, the night sky is glowing in the distance.

Boulder County crews responding to two grass fires

I have a friend in Fort Collins who's gone dark, has that town been affected? 

3 hours ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I have a friend in Fort Collins who's gone dark, has that town been affected? 

No, Fort Collins is a good 30 miles or more from where the fire was.

We had a snow storm the last two days that helped immeasurably with the fires, but at last count it's around 1000 homes lost, lots of businesses burnt up, and there are three missing persons. It's the worst fire in Colorado history, but at least there hasn't been any loss of life thus far. Hopefully the three missing folks will be found.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

I’m debating on going back to working on nights. My wife was sick during pregnancy so I found something to switch to days. Now we have the kid and I wonder if going back to a later shift job will be better for us. More money and we’d likely not have to use expensive daycare. It would likely be best for my son and our finances. I just missed seeing my wife when I worked later. This has been weighing on me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

I’m debating on going back to working on nights. My wife was sick during pregnancy so I found something to switch to days. Now we have the kid and I wonder if going back to a later shift job will be better for us. More money and we’d likely not have to use expensive daycare. It would likely be best for my son and our finances. I just missed seeing my wife when I worked later. This has been weighing on me.

Sucks when something weighs heavy on you trying to come to a decision. It's admirable putting your son and finances over your needs but you need to look after yourself as well having missed your wife on later dates. Been working on this post for 20 minutes now. Best wishes, buddy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2022 at 7:48 PM, Octopus said:

When you're an old man on your deathbed and you look back on your life, I doubt you'll look back and think about your finances. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone. Enjoy the time you have with your loved ones while you have it.

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
On 1/3/2022 at 3:48 AM, Octopus said:

I can only speak from my experience, but giving up an extremely comfortable life in Asia to come back to England during the pandemic feels like one of my better decisions. Being around my family (especially my parents as they start to enjoy their retirement) is more precious than money, I can always make more of that but I can't make more time.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

For once, something consequential happens on January 6th, as I just got my third covid shot this morning. Luckily enough, the vax center was like 5 minute walk from home, so this was even more convenient than the previous two.

• Like 6

On 1/2/2022 at 10:48 PM, Octopus said:

If you are going to try to earn some extra scratch working graveyard, try to work it as sparingly as possible.  I have to work nights occasionally to support military exercises in Europe and Asia (mostly in Korea) and it takes me about a week to readjust to daytime after working a couple of weeks of night shift.

The body wants to be active during the day, dude.  There are proven issues with mental acuity as well as health concerns if you work nights over a long period of time.  There is no sense in making extra money if you are not awake, alert, or well enough to enjoy the product of your labor.

Tell your boss your concerns and maybe he'll consider giving you a raise or at least offer you the chance to work a flexible shift.   Maybe you could work swing shift (4PM to Midnight) while the baby is an infant so you can be around during the day to look after the little one while your wife gets some rest?  Or maybe you are like me and were long overdue for a promotion.

Your supervisor can't work with you if you don't tell him what's up.  Even if he says, "No" at least you know where you stand and will maybe start looking at other options like maybe finding another job and telling the boss man to take his attitude and shove it.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1