DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

This time of year can be hard for people. Any time of year can be difficult to someone. We have a great community here with shared interests, looking out for each other and offering support. I've been here since September 2005 and this is my favourite message board I've ever joined. Thanks for making it so. Paul xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 9

A coworker in another department I've known for 13 years (not really friends friends, but I knew him and he was a cool guy) died over the weekend.  Non-Covid...but he was ill for a long time and refused to go to a doctor.  He left behind a wife (who is also super cool and used to work at our company) and two young kids.  No sad face or likes or whatever to this...just please please if you have a health issue and it's starting to look serious, go to a doctor.  It could have been avoided and he could have still been alive for his family today.  RIP brother.

49 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

A coworker in another department I've known for 13 years (not really friends friends, but I knew him and he was a cool guy) died over the weekend.  Non-Covid...but he was ill for a long time and refused to go to a doctor.  He left behind a wife (who is also super cool and used to work at our company) and two young kids.  No sad face or likes or whatever to this...just please please if you have a health issue and it's starting to look serious, go to a doctor.  It could have been avoided and he could have still been alive for his family today.  RIP brother.

So sorry, @Technico Support. Here if you need me xxx.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

A coworker in another department I've known for 13 years (not really friends friends, but I knew him and he was a cool guy) died over the weekend.  Non-Covid...but he was ill for a long time and refused to go to a doctor.  

I'm doing this now, unfortunately.  I don't recommend it.  Even I admit it's dumb if you think the problem might be serious. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Sorry for your loss. Always disappointing and annoying to see loved ones refusing to see medical professionals when they are sick or hurting.

• Like 2

That's why mom was in poor health. It was always a day long argument filled with tears and yelling to get her to go to a doctor. It's like people like that think if they don't admit anything is wrong then it will be fine. I don't get it. 

• Like 3

My wife is having this same fight for hours a day, every day.  Mother in law had a stroke two weeks ago.  She's doing fairly well physically, but is about half coherent.  Meanwhile my father in law has got his head all the way up his ass pretending things are back to normal (normal for them is sitting in their chairs for 12 hours a day watching Fox News, interrupted only by high fat/high salt meals).  He's complaining constantly that my wife is pushing too much for things like physical therapy, speech therapy, etc, which is exactly what the doctors said she needed to be doing.  Today they decided the would not do therapy because they had to laundry.  Instead of understanding what meds she needed to start as soon as she got home, he said the paperwork was too much, and he'd get to it after the new year.

They've also added a different type of denial.  Said the usual family Christmas (we all live in the same city) was too much this year, and they'd wait till next year to attend.  My wife and I pointed out the time they said they 45 minute drive to my uncle's for Thanksgiving was too much work, and that they'd see him next year.  Told em at the time there wouldn't be a next year, and unfortunately we were right.  Still not sure they got the point.

• Sad 5

I'm supposed to go have a bit of an Xmas party with a couple of close friends tomorrow -- but they got Covid and were out for a week or so yet were vaxxed. I'm vaxxed and boostered... yet live with my 60 year old parents and have a 70 someodd uncle coming over for a week. This is a bad idea, right? The fucked up thing is they got it right after a show I went to with all of them in a very cramped bar, and even more fucked up is that I went to a packed Reggies show in Chicago with 1000 people mere days before lockdown. Is this gonna be some 'time is a flat circle' shit, or worse? Seeing what happened to Dolfan freaks me out (get well soon bud). 

EDIT: Christ, this reads like Famous Last Words. And the Covid test reads your liver? Yeah, speaking of Famous Last Words...

Edited by Curt McGirt

6 hours ago, Robert C said:

My wife is having this same fight for hours a day, every day.  Mother in law had a stroke two weeks ago.  She's doing fairly well physically, but is about half coherent.  Meanwhile my father in law has got his head all the way up his ass pretending things are back to normal (normal for them is sitting in their chairs for 12 hours a day watching Fox News, interrupted only by high fat/high salt meals).  He's complaining constantly that my wife is pushing too much for things like physical therapy, speech therapy, etc, which is exactly what the doctors said she needed to be doing.  Today they decided the would not do therapy because they had to laundry.  Instead of understanding what meds she needed to start as soon as she got home, he said the paperwork was too much, and he'd get to it after the new year.

They've also added a different type of denial.  Said the usual family Christmas (we all live in the same city) was too much this year, and they'd wait till next year to attend.  My wife and I pointed out the time they said they 45 minute drive to my uncle's for Thanksgiving was too much work, and that they'd see him next year.  Told em at the time there wouldn't be a next year, and unfortunately we were right.  Still not sure they got the point.

Does he want his wife to die? Good grief.

5 hours ago, Ryan said:

Does he want his wife to die? Good grief.

He's just very, very delusional.  He's not a dumb man either - has two physics degrees.  But he's better at sticking his head in the sand than anybody I've ever met. 

He was the same way when she was going through chemo, and they treat her diabetes the same as well.   She had the stroke as they were sitting down to lunch.  I beat the ambulance over, primarily because I had to tell him to call the damn thing.  Lunch was fried chicken and french fries, nothing else.  Healthy meal for a diabetic.

He'll be lost without her, if she goes first.  My mother in law gave me an inventory of every gun in the house and orders to physically remove them myself if things get critical, so he doesn't do something to himself.  

• Sad 1

Stubborn as a mule stuck in mud. Sounds like my grandfather, whom I never met, and some of his children. At least the one that had me isn't an idiot about this stuff and goes to the doctor and does everything you should.

Edited by Ryan

13 minutes ago, Robert C said:

I’ve been struggling to get a booster this week.  Earliest I could find is next Monday.  Tried talking my wife into this but no go.

Not even "We're going to just drive thru, get the booster and drive right back home, won't even turn off the engine in between"-level of deal?

Visited Manitoba this week to see my family. Hadn’t seen my dad in a couple of years; had never met my niece and nephew. Met up with some friends I hadn’t seen in a decade.

Brought COVID home with me and gave it to my wife. Now, my dad and my in-laws are awaiting test results, and one of my friends is positive. 

Having COVID sucks. Feeling responsible for others getting it sucks a lot more, though.

• Sad 4

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Christ, this reads like Famous Last Words. And the Covid test reads your liver? Yeah, speaking of Famous Last Words...

No, there are 2 different types of LFTs, because calling things by their entire names is apparently too difficult.  Liver Function Test and Lateral Flow Device Test.  The 2nd one is for COVID.  If we could test your liver function by swabbing your nose instead of drawing blood, we'd have been doing that for years.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Control said:

Visited Manitoba this week to see my family. Hadn’t seen my dad in a couple of years; had never met my niece and nephew. Met up with some friends I hadn’t seen in a decade.

Brought COVID home with me and gave it to my wife. Now, my dad and my in-laws are awaiting test results, and one of my friends is positive. 

Having COVID sucks. Feeling responsible for others getting it sucks a lot more, though.

Sorry to hear that. Get well soon xxx.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Control said:

I know the feeling, as I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for my sister getting it. I'm sure your family would tell you the same thing my sister told me: don't feel at fault. It's not as if you intended to get them sick. These things happen. Hopefully everyone pulls through fine.

• Thanks 1

My parents took my aunt out to a play last Thursday as a Christmas present/she's alone, so she could use some stuff to do. She failed to mention she was feeling a little sick. She texted my mother this afternoon, out of nowhere, saying she'd tested positive for COVID, etc. She's not vaccinated.

My parents were around my mother's 80-year-old sister and brother-in-law on Monday for Christmas setup stuff, and one of them is severely immunocompromised. To say my parents were insanely fucking mad is an understatement. Luckily, both of them are tripled up, as am I. I would have been exposed to them on Sunday if they had caught it.

Thankfully, they both took the first rapid test last night and it came back negative, which likely means I don't have it and neither do they. We'll see after they take the 2nd test on Thursday (36+ hours) if I should bother taking one or not. We all feel fine and have no symptoms beyond the general dry air allergy type crap we always have.

I'm worried about my aunt because she's old and the "stubborn won't see doctors" one in that family, even if my parents are still righteously and justifiably pissed off and refuse to even answer her. We're supposed to do stuff for Christmas with the aforementioned relatives, so all the prep for that being blown up would suck as well for how much time my mother and everyone put into that. That whole family is boosted and very careful. Here's hoping everything is negative again.

For the record, my aunt's daughter is a nurse who literally told her not to get the vaccine and feeds her misinformation because her husband is a piece of shit and she just follows his lead.

• Sad 4

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

I know the feeling, as I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for my sister getting it. I'm sure your family would tell you the same thing my sister told me: don't feel at fault. It's not as if you intended to get them sick. These things happen. Hopefully everyone pulls through fine.

Yeah, and like, I did everything that kept me COVID free for the last 20 months (except, importantly, I travelled). And even if I’m the conduit for these infections, I got it from someone else, and they got it from someone else…

Takes a pandemic to highlight how individual choices are important on a personal level, and kinda inconsequential on a systemic level.

My (vaccinated six year old) daughter's school system has had more Covid cases this month than September through November combined.  Including a kid in her own class that, luckily, she didn't have really close contact with.  The county school system is updating its policies so that if whatever they qualify as an "outbreak" happens, they'll go full virtual.  Jesus Christ what a shitshow.  Now we're going into year three of this shit, in a large part because these antivax fucknuts.  And we have the president on TV begging people to get vaccinated and I'm thinking, "if they haven't gotten a vaccine that's been out for A YEAR NOW, they ain't getting it, Joe my man."  At his rate, we're just waiting it out.  I'm not totally against Darwinism doing its thing and thinning the herd w/r/t dumb people like that guy in Texas who died from Omicron because he was antivax AND had complications from a previous bout with Covid, but it's also taking people who aren't antivax morons.  Fuuuuck.  Stay healthy and safe, my dudes.

• Sad 2

The Republican governor of our state still holds Covid press briefings daily and basically is reduced to pleading with people to get vaccinated.  Then you look at the statistics a week later and realize, nope, the vaccination rate has barely moved.  It's kind of pathetic.  I feel a little bad for the guy and I wonder if he hasn't lost his credibility.  I think it's a given the federal government & health care industry have lost their credibility, even with a lot of the vaccinated.  People in my region don't even want the flu shot now.  Flu shot rate in our state is 17% of population (it's normally in the 50's by December) and surrounding states aren't much better.  Not that matters too much if the article I read Monday is accurate.  Supposedly, this year's flu shot is less effective than normal.  Scientists "guessed wrong" about which flu strain would be dominant this year.

Wife and I both quit our jobs this morning.  We both worked for the local hospital and some issues have cropped up.  Last straw was the the hospital postponing my elderly father's back surgery and taking crap care of my mother-in-law when she was hospitalized for a few days two weeks ago (non-Covid).  Fortunately, I was able to get Dad's surgery back on the table at another hospital.  

I'm already lining up interviews for early January and wife has options outside of health care.  Not really a big deal.  A few firms have put out feelers lately to see if I was thinking of moving on & would be interested in joining their management team.  Apparently it's not a big surprise to anyone than I was ready to move on.  Honestly, I wasn't seriously thinking of quitting till last night.  It just sort of came up in conversation with my wife and I made a snap decision,  Right thing to do and should have been done earlier in retrospect. 

So, yeah, expect I'll have a new job in a few weeks.

• Like 3

This Omicron variant is spreading like wildfire. Lost two family to coronavirus this year. Five lives to covid in total if my maths is right. Unfortunately we've got the worst Prime Minister and Government in my lifetime. Corrupt cunts. Incompetent, inconsiderate idiots. Feels like restrictions will be coming into effect after Christmas Day or Boxing Day. Wishing the DVDVR MB well during and after this fucking pandemic. What a shit time it is. Love, Paul xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 3