DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Cleaning out my closet last weekend and had to throw out about 30% of my stuff because they wouldn't fit anymore. Not from the waist, but around the chest, or thighs. This included some of the stuff I wore at our wedding. I was bummed out because a lot of the clothes were otherwise OK, if not the kind of stuff good enough to donate to goodwill (over here, anyway).

My wife, trying to cheer me up, pondered the following: "When someone won't fit into their wedding clothes because they gained 45 lbs, how often do you think it's because of gaining muscle?"

I was OK after that.

Did you then flex and explode all of the clothes you were wearing at the time?

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Did you then flex and explode all of the clothes you were wearing at the time?

That would have been par for the course, but luckily, I only did that internally. There was a bunch of comical flexing going on, when I tried the small clothes on, however. Along with plenty of "See, I...can...still...wear...this...* phew* "

• 2 weeks later...

Found out last night that my parent's parish priest invited himself to dinner Friday.  I don't really have time to deal with that this week, but I also feel obliged to look out for my parents.  So I'm taking time off this afternoon to hopefully go have a chat with the guy.  i assume I'll invite myself to dinner Friday if the dinner actually happens.  Not really something I'm interested in doing, but, if he can do it, why can't I?

I'm slightly concerned about Covid, though that's not an my primary concern.  My parents have had Covid in the past (very mild) and are both vaccinated and booster'd.  I'm more concerned about what his agenda is.  My parents are devout Catholics and this will be the first time in their 80 years that a parish priest has come to the home.  I assume he want money.  Hopefully, he just wants money, because if not, I'll probably be less thrilled about the purpose of his visit, lol.  My parents already donate a fair bit to the church and are well off enough to be able to make a large donation without it being an issue.  I just don't like the idea they might allow themselves to be taken advantage of.

Anyway, I'll deal with it.  Just venting a bit.  I prefer venting at people in person, but, in this instance, venting into the void of the internet is probably preferable.  

People are amazing.  Just to be clear, I mean that in the most negative way possible.  Amazingly shameless, amazingly selfish, amazing uncaring, etc.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 1

So, I haven't been around for 4 months. I relapsed and things got bad. I went to an inpatient rehab and am now at a halfway program. I missed the board. This place has been a daily visit since high school. Oddly enough, I grabbed a book from the bookcase and saw OSJ's name. He encouraged me before to get clean and it was a nice reminder. I can truly say I finally am working on my issues. I made peace with the memory of my dad who ditched me before I was born and am working on my self-esteem. Thank you guys for the years of entertainment and support.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

How close are your parents to the Parish and this priest? That seems a bit off.

Yeah, my siblings and I think so.  My mom goes to daily mass most afternoons and is at the church a lot so she probably knows the priests casually.  They probably barely recognize my dad.  The parish has had constant staff turnover over the past ten or so years, so the current set of priests has only been there a year, maybe less.  Apparently my mom was very surprised when the priest emailed her out of the blue and said "why don't I come over for dinner Friday @ 6:30", but she thinks it would be awkward to decline.

Tried to talk to the guy today and didn't get far.  Priest wasn't at the parish office when he said he would be and kept me waiting for almost 30 minutes before the secretary informed me he would be unable to meet with me.  He did return a call to my home this evening while I was on a Zoom call and managed to irritate my wife.  She thought he had an attitude.  Lol. she may just be mad because he commented on her accent and asked her what Southern state she grew up in (Answer: Northern Australia).

If this isn't about money, I'll be surprised.  Besides the "usual" pedophilia scandals, the local diocese has been embroiled in numerous financial scandals.  Shady land deals, excessive spending, absurdly high tabs at liqour stores, priests convincing senile parishioners to name the priests as life insurance beneficiaries, etc.  I'm not very religious nor am I an fan of church as a institution, so I'm not really wanting this lot to con my parents out of more money.  My mom has the usual blind spot for the Church many elderly Italian moms have.

My siblings are convinced my mom's going to show her appreciation by whacking me upside the head with a bible.  They're probably right.

14 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

So, I haven't been around for 4 months. I relapsed and things got bad. I went to an inpatient rehab and am now at a halfway program. I missed the board. This place has been a daily visit since high school. Oddly enough, I grabbed a book from the bookcase and saw OSJ's name. He encouraged me before to get clean and it was a nice reminder. I can truly say I finally am working on my issues. I made peace with the memory of my dad who ditched me before I was born and am working on my self-esteem. Thank you guys for the years of entertainment and support.

Welcome back. If you ever want to talk, or somebody to listen, here I be. Goes for all of you. Paul xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yeah, Department of the Army is terrified of bunches of people getting sick all at once so we've been authorized to receive boosters ASAP.  I should get mine next week.  My mom and my sister got theirs about a month ago.

I have not had so much as a cold since being vaccinated.  Between the jab, masking, and social distancing I think this is the longest stretch I've ever gone without any sort of respiratory issue.  Go get jabbed and wear your fucking masks until this bug dies.

• Like 2

Oh sweet Jesus I'm on a customer support call and I made the mistake of asking how the support rep is doing and now they're telling me about losing their home in a typhoon.  Now I feel like an asshole for asking them to figure out why my account portal isn't showing the correct information.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Sad 3

I had my first two vaccine jabs, AstraZeneca in March and May at the doctors I'm registered at. Shortly after, AZ wasn't recommended for under 40s as I remember. The booster wasn't going to be available from my GPs. Checked my phone at the right time today when a text came through from my practice saying they're doing them and to book online. 30th December is when I go for it. You just pick 1 of the 3 administering it without knowing who.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I had my first two vaccine jabs, AstraZeneca in March and May at the doctors I'm registered at. Shortly after, AZ wasn't recommended for under 40s as I remember. The booster wasn't going to be available from my GPs. Checked my phone at the right time today when a text came through from my practice saying they're doing them and to book online. 30th December is when I go for it. You just pick 1 of the 3 administering it without knowing who.

Good on ya, man.  Stay healthy.  Just got my booster last Friday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 7:46 AM, Ryan said:

Better safe than sorry as the old adage goes. I'm sure she has a few extra bibles to hit you with if she goes to mass that often.

You laugh, but one or two of her bibles are hardbound.  Pretty sure she could dent my skull with a couple of them.

Didn't even make it to dessert before the guy was giving my parents the hard sell about making their one-time donation to the building fund an annual donation.  Turns out their one-time donation was a lot - enough that I immediately texted by brother and sisters so we could all have a meltdown at once instead of one at a time.  Fortunately, my dad put his foot down at that point and the priest knew enough to give up the sales pitch.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 5

My sister and I both tested positive for Covid. Fortunately we're both fully vaccinated. Her husband has only had his 1st dose though and none of their 4 kids are vaccinated. So I guess Christmas is gonna be long distance this year.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

My sister and I both tested positive for Covid. Fortunately we're both fully vaccinated. Her husband has only had his 1st dose though and none of their 4 kids are vaccinated. So I guess Christmas is gonna be long distance this year.

Oof. Hope you and your Sister get on the mend ASAP xxx.