DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

Going to my first show in the pandemic era tonight. First show since I’ve been in Tennessee as well. My favorite podcast (We Hate Movies) is doing a show on Footloose at the City Winery in Nashville. I’m both super excited and more than a little wary. I’m fully vaxxed and you need proof of that to get in the door, but I wasn’t dealing well with crowds before Covid. Now? Even less so. I’m also a little worried about finding an Uber willing to make a longer drive late on a Sunday night, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shane said:

Going to my first show in the pandemic era tonight. First show since I’ve been in Tennessee as well. My favorite podcast (We Hate Movies) is doing a show on Footloose at the City Winery in Nashville. I’m both super excited and more than a little wary. I’m fully vaxxed and you need proof of that to get in the door, but I wasn’t dealing well with crowds before Covid. Now? Even less so. I’m also a little worried about finding an Uber willing to make a longer drive late on a Sunday night, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. 

I love We Hate Movies. I saw them live a few years ago for the infamous National Treasure episode that’s been lost to time. Did you get tickets to the original venue and have to refund and rebuy? Hope you have a great time and no travel issues. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I love We Hate Movies. I saw them live a few years ago for the infamous National Treasure episode that’s been lost to time. Did you get tickets to the original venue and have to refund and rebuy? Hope you have a great time and no travel issues. 

I've had tickets since the day they originally went on sale! They were supposed to be a birthday gift to me at that point. Had to do the whole refund/rebuy thing, but it wasn't too bad. Been listening since around episode 50, so it's great to finally have a chance to see them in person!

• Like 1

I went to my second show since the pandemic last Wednesday. It was Teenage Bottlerocket at a local C&W bar so not extremely packed, but enough contact for sure. I went and got my booster today, and honestly I've pretty well got Covid burnout, so I wasn't worried. If something's gonna happen it'll be from handling everyone's shit at Goodwill. The last show I went to was this summer and outdoors so a little safer. Also been to I believe four movies so far (the Tony Bourdain doc, the Sopranos movie, Halloween Kills, and now the Ghostbusters sequel). 

EDIT: Forgot Candyman. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

On 11/15/2021 at 11:27 AM, Tabe said:

The guy across the street from my mom, a former sharpshooter contest winner, is showing more than a couple signs of dementia.  He's got a big pile of guns in the house.  Definitely something I (and my mom) worry about.

Update: The gentleman across the street fell a couple nights ago but refused a trip to the ER.  He passed away in his sleep last night.  That's a big relief from a safety perspective.  And I'm sure for his wife.  She's about a decade younger and has had increasingly little social life as his dementia got worse, manifesting as jealousy anytime she left the house, etc.  Now she will have the freedom to do what she wants, like going places with my mom, without having to worry.  

• Like 3

Until two weeks ago my wife was an assistant school librarian. She had to leave the position because the full time librarian was making her life a living hell. To the point that she wouldn't even talk to her directly, but would instead fire out nasty emails with the principal copied to them. My wife told the principal that it's not working out and as much she loves the library (she's actually taking classes to get her librarian license) and wants to be there full time, this is going to make her hate it.  The principal has her working with Special Ed (her job before the library) and doing any other misc duties that they need, and she's been assured that when it's available that the next librarian is going to be her.

The librarian's last name is Mitchell, so we've taken to calling her "Bitchell" and playing the Cartman song about Kyle's mom. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The WHM show was great. Got bumped into better seats and the venue is kinda cavernous, so the closest people to us were maybe 10-15 ft away. 

Movies have been weird here. I’ve been to a handful since the summer. Eternals might have been the fullest house and there were maybe a dozen other people there. We specifically pick non-peak times, but it’s been more empty than we figured. When we saw Dune, it was literally just my wife and I. I saw Halloween Kills with one other person in the theater. It’s been fucking great!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

Until two weeks ago my wife was an assistant school librarian. She had to leave the position because the full time librarian was making her life a living hell.  

It’s wild how much drama occurs in the library field. I’ve spent my entire working life in public libraries and it’s probably a bigger pain in the ass than most would realize. Your wife has my sympathy. It’s a rewarding job, but so much shit comes with it. I guess I just described most jobs, though. 

• Like 2

On 11/6/2021 at 9:21 PM, BrianS81177 said:

So life ain't great right now. My girlfriend and I met 13 years ago. 11 years ago she moved about 80 miles away but we maintained a LDR because we were in love. I'd tried to get a job where she was for years but never could because I would only ever be able to make it out there a few days out of the month, usually on a weekend so it was super hard to get interviews. Finally the time comes a couple months ago that I sell my mom's house after she passed away last year. With that money, I was finally able to afford to not be able to work for a little while. We had been talking for months about how once the house sold we could finally get married, and we were going to buy a plot of land and build a place on it, and we were gonna honeymoon at Universal Orlando, etc. I get out there with all my stuff and get it loaded into a storage shed on her property and like 3 days after I get out there she seems like she's avoiding me. Going to bed hours before I do, going in the bedroom talking on the phone, etc. Finally after a week of this (and her showing total indifference to a drawing of a custom designed engagement ring I was gonna buy for her), I confront her about something obviously being wrong.

She then tells me that she's been talking with some guy she works with because he is going through a divorce and she always has to be the shoulder for people to cry on. She tells me she has feelings for him and that they kissed. After that I give her space for a couple of days to think things over (she gets home from work at 6 and goes to bed around 830, so I would leave at like 545, go get some dinner then go see a movie and sleep on the couch). After a couple days of this she still seems to be avoiding talking to me. So I pack up a week's worth of clothes and tell her I'm gonna go stay at my sister's for a week. I had to tell her in a letter because she was avoiding me and talking on the phone all day.

Long story short a week winds up being almost a month. In that time we have 2 conversations that total maybe 25 minutes and I get a couple short text messages from her asking about my grandpa (who I found out was dying during this time). After our second conversation we agree to talk again the next weekend (1 week later). 7 days go by and she doesn't call. 8 days. 9 days. Finally on the 10th day I'm freaking out, I reach out to one of her friends and ask if she will tell her to please call me already. The friend agrees, and does just that. My girlfriend calls all mad at me for going behind her back to her friend, tells me that while she still loves me she also still has feelings for this guy and says I should come get my stuff. So tomorrow morning, my sister and brother in law are coming with me out there to get my stuff and I'm freaking out because I'm realizing that this is it. And I just don't understand how 2 months ago we were talking excitedly about getting married, etc and now the whole relationship is falling apart. I feel like my life is over. I'm 44 years old. I don't have a job and I'm currently living in a small room in my sister's basement. I feel like I'm too old to start all over and I can't believe the last 13 years of my life and everything I was dreaming of for years is gone, just that quickly. I honestly want to die. I'm not going to kill myself because I wouldn't do that to my sister but I have completely lost all will to live.

A little follow up on this. Still haven't heard from her and honestly don't give a shit if I do ever again. I've decided to go back to school in the spring so I can finally get out of the endless cycle of shitty retail job after shitty retail job I've been in for 25 years. I'm thinking either medical billing or pharmacy technician. Something I can complete the classes for in 6-9 months. I also bought myself my first ever brand new vehicle (2021 Ford Escape Hybrid) today. They say the best revenge is living well, right? Well I'm gonna get myself going on a right track and stick my happiness right up her ass.

• Like 15

Some more general navel-gazing, in the form of two old zen stories that have helped me get through pandemic life and even find a kind of upside in things slowing down so much:

A great scholar approached the Buddha. "I have questions I want to ask you. I am told you are the only one who can answer them."
 " I will answer your questions, " replied the Buddha, "but I have a requirement. First you must study beside me in silence for one year. You are not yet ready to hear the answers to your questions. You must first clear your mind of preconceptions."
 The great scholar agreed to the requirement. He sat in silence for a year. The Buddha said to him, "You may ask your questions now." 
 The scholar remained silent. He no longer had any questions.

An eager young athlete approached a martial arts master. "I have mastered many martial arts. Now I want to master yours. How long will it take?" 
 " Ten years, " replied the master.
 "That's too long!" Replied the athlete. I am very fit and strong and have a great deal of experience. I can, and will, train fourteen hours a day every day and work harder than any other student. In that case, how long will it take? "
 "Twenty years, at least."

?

• Like 4

21 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

If anyone has suggestions for some other type of field I can get into that would only require 6-9 months of school, I'm open for suggestions. 

Sure. There's definitely one, but it requires you to be 1. a bastard, 2. beat/kill the innocent, 3. lick boots. 

• Haha 2

Fell going down the steps at home today, six step fall to the floor. Really jarred my body and shoulder but it could have been worse, man. Haven't had a fall like that in years. Doctors are trying to take off or reduce some of the tablets I'm taking. Most of the tablets I'm on are for the Cerebral Palsy.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Fell going down the steps at home today, six step fall to the floor. Really jarred my body and shoulder but it could have been worse, man. Haven't had a fall like that in years. Doctors are trying to take off or reduce some of the tablets I'm taking. Most of the tablets I'm on are for the Cerebral Palsy.

Praying for you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Sorry to hear this. Glad it wasn't as bad it could have been. Hope you heal up soon and stay safe.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

I hope you're ok Paul.  Positive and healing vibes headed your way, my friend.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Damn! Sorry to hear that. Let's hope nothing inside you broke or got seriously damaged due to the fall (physically, obviously). Hope you'll feel better, soon enough! Now is the time to remember the awesome words of encouragement The Hitman himself sent you! This will be just one more thing for you to bounce back from!

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2021 at 10:01 AM, The Natural said:

That sounds really painful. I'm so sorry. 

• Thanks 1

As someone who has broken and dislocated their arm and broken two vertebrae from separate falls, you have my sympathies @The Natural

Anyway, my best bud, his SO and her live-in brother have all came up with Covid. I saw them about two weeks ago at the Bottlerocket show and her and him were two of the only people up front wearing masks, even. ?

EDIT: And shit, I went to Ghostbusters with them after that...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2021 at 8:25 PM, DEAN said:

Praying for you.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:29 PM, Eivion said:

Sorry to hear this. Glad it wasn't as bad it could have been. Hope you heal up soon and stay safe.

On 11/28/2021 at 12:26 AM, gatling said:

I hope you're ok Paul.  Positive and healing vibes headed your way, my friend.

On 11/28/2021 at 6:48 AM, Shartnado said:

Damn! Sorry to hear that. Let's hope nothing inside you broke or got seriously damaged due to the fall (physically, obviously). Hope you'll feel better, soon enough! Now is the time to remember the awesome words of encouragement The Hitman himself sent you! This will be just one more thing for you to bounce back from!

14 hours ago, Tabe said:

That sounds really painful. I'm so sorry. 

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

As someone who has broken and dislocated their arm and broken two vertebrae from separate falls, you have my sympathies @The Natural

Anyway, my best bud, his SO and her live-in brother have all came up with Covid. I saw them about two weeks ago at the Bottlerocket show and her and him were two of the only people up front wearing masks, even. ?

EDIT: And shit, I went to Ghostbusters with them after that...

Thank you all for the well wishes. Appreciate those. Winced reading what's happened to @Curt McGirt. Bloody hell, bud. Considering I have CP, I've only ever broken two fingers and two toes. Hope it stays that way. My Dad badly broke his arm in a fall two years ago, Mum her elbow and my Sister the same arm three times.

• Like 1

Cleaning out my closet last weekend and had to throw out about 30% of my stuff because they wouldn't fit anymore. Not from the waist, but around the chest, or thighs. This included some of the stuff I wore at our wedding. I was bummed out because a lot of the clothes were otherwise OK, if not the kind of stuff good enough to donate to goodwill (over here, anyway).

My wife, trying to cheer me up, pondered the following: "When someone won't fit into their wedding clothes because they gained 45 lbs, how often do you think it's because of gaining muscle?"

I was OK after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Cleaning out my closet last weekend and had to throw out about 30% of my stuff because they wouldn't fit anymore. Not from the waist, but around the chest, or thighs. This included some of the stuff I wore at our wedding. I was bummed out because a lot of the clothes were otherwise OK, if not the kind of stuff good enough to donate to goodwill (over here, anyway).

My wife, trying to cheer me up, pondered the following: "When someone won't fit into their wedding clothes because they gained 45 lbs, how often do you think it's because of gaining muscle?"

I was OK after that.

I've had the same issue, but with waist size increase included, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have to buy Gap 33/34s in Athletic now after being 33/34 Straight for a good 7-8 years because of the leg gains.  But whereas the waist was tight on the Straights before, now I've got a good inch+ of room there (can't do the 32/34 Athletics because they're still not roomy enough in the whole nether regions).  Why couldn't I have just bought Bitcoins in 2012 when I first heard of them?  Then I could afford a tailor to fix these problems.

In other news, meet the new neighbors, same as the old neighbors.  I have this one fucking idiot down the hall from me that does NOTHING but shout when she talks.  Jesus Christ, you deaf old bat - YOU'RE deaf, the rest of us are not!  I want to hang a sign on her just so she remembers.