DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

Thanks JT.  

Ended a bit after the fire started.  Looks like everybody who wasn’t in the house is ok.  News said the shooter had critical injuries, which is a strange way of saying they took him out of the house in a bag.   

Dumbass friend was standing in her front yard with her six month son in clear view of the shooter while the shots were going off, apparently thinking rifle bullets aren’t lethal at 60 yards.   Fortunately she listened to my wife and got her ass back inside.

• Sad 3

12 hours ago, Robert C said:

Thanks JT.  

Ended a bit after the fire started.  Looks like everybody who wasn’t in the house is ok.  News said the shooter had critical injuries, which is a strange way of saying they took him out of the house in a bag.   

Dumbass friend was standing in her front yard with her six month son in clear view of the shooter while the shots were going off, apparently thinking rifle bullets aren’t lethal at 60 yards.   Fortunately she listened to my wife and got her ass back inside.

That is fucking crazy.  I am starting to think that the need to be curious or capture video for social media has robbed us of our survival instinct.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

That is fucking crazy.  I am starting to think that the need to be curious or capture video for social media has robbed us of our survival instinct.

Partly that, I think.  And partly a general cluelessness about guns that causes people to somehow both underestimate and overestimate the danger.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Robert C said:

Partly that, I think.  And partly a general cluelessness about guns that causes people to somehow both underestimate and overestimate the danger.

There is no such thing as overestimating the danger in guns.  The second you *don't* overestimate their danger and stop respecting them for what they are, is the second that the probability of someone getting seriously injured or worse jumps astronomically.

Edited by Raziel

7 minutes ago, Raziel said:

There is no such thing as overestimating the danger in guns.  The second you *don't* overestimate their danger and stop respecting them for what they are, is the second that the probability of someone getting seriously injured or worse jumps astronomically.

I get what you're saying, but I think you're confusing my meaning or maybe my meaning just wasn't very clear in the first place.  The danger absolutely has to be respected 100% of the time.  When that doesn't happen you get things like that Rust shooting.  There are procedures that should've been followed that would've made for a reasonably safe situation.  They weren't, and that combined with the fools using that gun for target practice cost a woman her life.  That's inexcusable.  

I grew up with a guy that shot and killed himself accidentally when we were 14.  Smart guy, but did something stupid (incredibly stupid to my thinking, but I wasn't there) and ended up dying in a horrible manner in front of his father.  Without exact firsthand knowledge of what happened, I've always thought he must've disrespected the danger there to do what he did, and he didn't get a second chance.

But respecting guns isn't the same as being afraid of them.  You respect the real danger a gun poses, not the imagined ones.  I've been around folks that are so scared of guns that if they come into contact them their fear actually increases the danger level.  Barring a massive failure of the gun itself, the danger is only comes from getting shot.  That's a very real danger.  So you make sure everybody handles the gun in such a way that nobody can get shot. 

If you you handed me a spider I'd freak out and try to get it as far away from me as possible, probably end up throwing it, with out paying attention where it went as long as it was away from me.  Some folks have that same reaction to the mere presence of a gun, and that clouds their judgement.  Their fear blocks their ability to handle things correctly.  Respect for a gun is necessary.  Outright fear makes people do stupid things.  That's what I mean by overestimating.  

I've been around guns my entire life.  I absolutely acknowledge the danger.  I've been hunting for nearly forty years, so of course I've seen what they can do.  But only twice have I been scared. 

Once was when my girlfriend at the time picked up a 9mm pistol, assuming it was unloaded, and pointed it at my head as a joke.  The gun wasn't loaded, but she had no way of knowing that.  She didn't know guns, and so didn't know any better, so she just assumed.  That's rule #1 of right there - the gun is loaded unless you've proven for yourself that it isn't.  And then, of course, she broke rule #2 - a gun should never be pointed at anything it's not safe to shoot, no matter what.  Partly of course that situation was my fault.  I should have never allowed her to handle the gun without making sure she know what not to do.  I wasn't used to being around somebody who didn't know better, so I just assumed she'd know not to do that.  Fortunately she didn't pull the trigger, and the gun wasn't loaded, so I got to learn from that mistake.

The second time was when I was double-checking a rifle after I had unloaded it.  The slide magazine on that gun is difficult to check visually, so after unloading it and counting the rounds, I was intending to cycle through about ten more times just to make 200% sure.  On the sixth or seventh cycle, I out popped a bullet.  That shouldn't have been possible, but it happened.  Obviously it was an issue with the gun.  That one scared the living shit out of me, because I'd done everything right.  That last check shouldn't have been necessary.  Been nearly 30 years since that happened, and I haven't fired that gun since.  Not sure I trust it.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 8:46 AM, Technico Support said:

I got 20some staples put in my back in March.  Nothing like showering and feeling what feels like a zipper back there.

Having them removed was the really funny part.  My doctor bullshitted me.  "Hey, let's see what your staples look like."  Suddenly PLINK...PLINK...PLINK

I fell and broke my arm (technically dislocated my shoulder and broke my humerus from falling with my elbow against my mattress -- yes, I was drunk, but I still think I slipped on a loose sheet, trying to get up from sitting on the floor looking at records) a couple years back, which I might have mentioned before but without detail. Anyway, they opened me up, put a metal plate with ten screws in to hold everything together and sewed me back up with about 20 or so stitches. Not long after that with the stitches still in and my arm in a sling, me and my dad went to the Art to see their showing of The Black Cat (Fulci version). I was fine until about an hour in when I felt something wet. 

I was leaking. Not blood, but definitely some kind of fluid. 

We left in a hurry. I got the stitches out not long after. The scar is gnarly as fuck, and I still can't raise my right arm all the way over my head. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Sad 3

33 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Was it transmission fluid? You sound bionic.

Hydraulics, probably. Isn't that right, Curt? That's usually what happens to me...I mean, no it was probably human blood. That's what happens to me, when my cover, er...I mean skin,has holes in it! Damn it!

• Haha 1

The debt ceiling limit deadline for U.S.A is extended through early December. We will see if U.S.A defaults on their $28.5 trillion plus debt in Dec. USA has never fully defaulted on their debt.

But experts say defaulting the debt could make USA economically weaker in many ways. What could happen are potential lost of 6 million jobs, wipe out 16 trillion plus in wealth, increase the jobless rate, cause a recession, curb the flow of federal aid. Make the dollar weaker and weaker credit ratings. Make Americans standards of living to go down, maybe more inflation and abandonment of the U.S. dollar as a global unit of account. 

Democrats can use the reconciliation approach (if they get the correct amount of votes.) Other options are Joe Biden rendering the debt ceiling unconstitutional under this "“The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law " or ignoring it as least unconstitutional. 

I guess the Treasury could mint trillion dollar coins and deposit one of them in the Fed Reserve, very Banana republic to do so. But they're most likely to reject minting those, minting those coins risks towards high inflation.

Edited by D.Z

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Hi.

I'm going to use my November to do something I always wanted to do, and that's participate in NaNoWriMo.

Anyway, I'll be away from here since I'll be focusing on that. If you want to keep tabs on me, I'll probably be tweeting from time to time while bored at work. Hope you like my all-lowercase tweets that I don't proofread! Who proofreads Twitter? Pfft.

Y'all be good to each other. Or try to, anyway. I'll be back around at some point.

7 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Happy Halloween to my fellow Americans, I hope you have a safe and enjoyable spooky Sunday and really relish this time before all the Christmas crap starts ????

That started like halfway through September, especially if you work in retail, I'm told.

• Sad 1

Been struggling really hard with the concept of “letting go.” Specifically, with fandom. In the wrestling thread I pointed out how an indie near me booked Onita for a deathmatch and Rob Feinstein was there running Onita’s business. A lot of folks were upset, myself included, and I called some people out for not saying anything and yeah. Got a demonstration of the parasocial “friendship” between entertainer and audience.

I’ve talked at length on here about the effects of Speaking Out on my local indie scene and how it hurts because I took my daughter to Chikara shows. After months of holding out hope that things will get better, I finally accepted they won’t, and am trying to disengage and let go of wrestling, at least in these indies.

I’ve already decided I won’t take my kid to any more shows, but letting go of friends I made, even those whose bonds were superficial, hurts. Especially for someone who has had difficulty making friends his whole life.

I’m not asking for any advice or help, I just really needed to get these words out and stop them from eating me up inside.

Edited by Super Ape
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 10/23/2021 at 4:23 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

Hey, @The NaturalI know you've been through a lot and you seem like a really incredible guy.  So after talking about it with some on Discord I got you a Cameo from a special somebody and hope this finds you well.  Special thanks to @Craig H and @Sammo~!for helping contribute, really appreciate that.

I haven't popped in this thread for a while, so I missed this.

Holy shit, you all!  That was such a thoughtful thing to do for an extremely thoughtful person.  I got a bit emotional (in a good way!) watching that.  

What makes it all the better is that Bret is 100% NOT phoning it in on that message.  It seemed very heartfelt, and that's so cool.

@The Naturalis the heart of this board and it makes me so happy that you all took the time to remind him of that.

Fuck, man.  This just made my day.  Like others have mentioned, you get online every day and you just see people being horrible to each other.  This whole thing is just a welcome burst of sunshine and it really speaks to the community that has grown here over the years.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

So life ain't great right now. My girlfriend and I met 13 years ago. 11 years ago she moved about 80 miles away but we maintained a LDR because we were in love. I'd tried to get a job where she was for years but never could because I would only ever be able to make it out there a few days out of the month, usually on a weekend so it was super hard to get interviews. Finally the time comes a couple months ago that I sell my mom's house after she passed away last year. With that money, I was finally able to afford to not be able to work for a little while. We had been talking for months about how once the house sold we could finally get married, and we were going to buy a plot of land and build a place on it, and we were gonna honeymoon at Universal Orlando, etc. I get out there with all my stuff and get it loaded into a storage shed on her property and like 3 days after I get out there she seems like she's avoiding me. Going to bed hours before I do, going in the bedroom talking on the phone, etc. Finally after a week of this (and her showing total indifference to a drawing of a custom designed engagement ring I was gonna buy for her), I confront her about something obviously being wrong.

She then tells me that she's been talking with some guy she works with because he is going through a divorce and she always has to be the shoulder for people to cry on. She tells me she has feelings for him and that they kissed. After that I give her space for a couple of days to think things over (she gets home from work at 6 and goes to bed around 830, so I would leave at like 545, go get some dinner then go see a movie and sleep on the couch). After a couple days of this she still seems to be avoiding talking to me. So I pack up a week's worth of clothes and tell her I'm gonna go stay at my sister's for a week. I had to tell her in a letter because she was avoiding me and talking on the phone all day.

Long story short a week winds up being almost a month. In that time we have 2 conversations that total maybe 25 minutes and I get a couple short text messages from her asking about my grandpa (who I found out was dying during this time). After our second conversation we agree to talk again the next weekend (1 week later). 7 days go by and she doesn't call. 8 days. 9 days. Finally on the 10th day I'm freaking out, I reach out to one of her friends and ask if she will tell her to please call me already. The friend agrees, and does just that. My girlfriend calls all mad at me for going behind her back to her friend, tells me that while she still loves me she also still has feelings for this guy and says I should come get my stuff. So tomorrow morning, my sister and brother in law are coming with me out there to get my stuff and I'm freaking out because I'm realizing that this is it. And I just don't understand how 2 months ago we were talking excitedly about getting married, etc and now the whole relationship is falling apart. I feel like my life is over. I'm 44 years old. I don't have a job and I'm currently living in a small room in my sister's basement. I feel like I'm too old to start all over and I can't believe the last 13 years of my life and everything I was dreaming of for years is gone, just that quickly. I honestly want to die. I'm not going to kill myself because I wouldn't do that to my sister but I have completely lost all will to live.

• Sad 8