DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

Couple months ago, I got a promotion at work. Used the money from it to send my wife and her best friend to Las Vegas for 5 days to see Barry Manilow in concert. Been a bucket list item for my wife for decades. They had an amazing time and I'm sort of a hero now, LOL. 

Me? I took the week off of work to relax and catch up on some chores. Yeah... not so much. Spent the entire time sick with a cold. I'm positive it's a cold and nothing more but the wife wants me to get a covid test so I'll be doing that tomorrow morning. I'm feeling better but tired. Yes, I'm fully vaccinated (since February). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Kraft plant, the lady that hired me? Sweet as apple pie, but didn't tell me that I would be cleaning bathrooms of inscrutable territory across the length of two football fields. "There's signs, you won't get lost." Suuuuure. Wearing about ten pounds of PPE too -- helmet, gloves, goggles, vest, mask, two layers of shirt, and the steel-toed boots they made me buy cut into me and left my right foot with a loose flap of skin on the bottom for a month. I had such anxiety over getting lost that I split after an hour, only to find that after I took the boot off. When I left the guy that was "training" me laughed in my face as I tore off the equipment and ran for the door. 

Okay, venting over now.

When I win all the money, you can work for me remotely as someone I send money to to do something they want.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

Couple months ago, I got a promotion at work. Used the money from it to send my wife and her best friend to Las Vegas for 5 days to see Barry Manilow in concert. Been a bucket list item for my wife for decades. They had an amazing time and I'm sort of a hero now, LOL. 

Me? I took the week off of work to relax and catch up on some chores. Yeah... not so much. Spent the entire time sick with a cold. I'm positive it's a cold and nothing more but the wife wants me to get a covid test so I'll be doing that tomorrow morning. I'm feeling better but tired. Yes, I'm fully vaccinated (since February). 

If it was COVID, you can donate plasma and make extra cash and, um, send her back to Vegas!

I had a Follow up CT scan on Saturday.   I got my results and a direct quote:

Reproductive Organs: Unremarkable

I find this editorial comment to be uncalled for and quite frankly, hurtful.

I'm not expecting this...

But come on guys, you already cut my groin open, no reason to pile on.

• Haha 8

So I still have a little congestion, but wife and 19 year old never got COVID and the girls are back to school okay. My isolation is over. It was not a fun two weeks but at least it's one that's behind us now. It opens up what we can do with the girls for the next couple of months a little. We'd been avoiding movie theaters and that seems moot now. The decision to put the 9 year old in chorus at school seems like the right one now, etc. Anyway, I watched a ton of wrestling; that's for sure.

• Like 5

I got a smug and snobby lecture on natural immunity today. FROM A JANITOR WITH A GED.

This is where we are as a society.  What the actual hell?

I mean, I have three college diplomas at home, plus a reasonably lengthy list of certifications and academic honors.  I read a lot, I once took the LSAT and scored in the top 3% of test takers, I'm decent at Jeopardy.  Not to be immodest, but I'm feel fairly confident I'm not stupid.

Wanna know how qualified I am to speak on topics like modern medicine, vaccines, and herd immunity?  Trick question,  I know very little about any of those topics, so if an actual doctor or scientist tells me to do something, I'm probably going to do it.  If a doctor tells me that swinging a dead rodent over my head at midnight while chanting verses from the Book of the Dead will end Covid, I will most likely give it a try.

I'm around doctors and nurses regularly.  There's even one I talk to virtually every day - mostly because she'd want half my stuff if I asked her to leave.  Still don't know anything.  Osmosis isn't doing me any good in this situation.  When it came time to make decisions about our kids health, my wife did the thinking and I looked pretty and drove the car.

I'm just bewildered by how dumb and self-destructive we've decided to be.  I wish the world really was flat.  I'd ask Kyrie Irving to pull the big lever that makes the planet stop in its tracks, then I'd climb over the side and jump off.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

Maybe it's because everyone else is drunk when you're not. Also, I would have immediately told the janitor to shut the fuck up, but then they might hit me with a mop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brandon Bones said:

Today a customer asked me: “Are you human?”

No idea why.

I'll just state for the record.  More fucked up shit happens to me when I'm sober as opposed to when I'm not.  Just sayin.  

Did they show you a bunch of pictures and make you select the ones that had busses?

• Haha 6

On 10/19/2021 at 6:07 AM, tbarrie said:

I had an MRI of my brain a year or so ago and was told said brain was completely normal. So I get where you're coming from. I was unprepared to hear that. Yours is better, though.

And there would have been an appropriate Young Frankenstein clip to accompany this comment, as well!

Edited by Shartnado
Why did I type "to accompany" twice? My brain is abnormal...

On 10/18/2021 at 2:02 AM, Ryan said:

If it was COVID, you can donate plasma and make extra cash and, um, send her back to Vegas!

Alas (alas?), my results came back negative, so no plasma cash flow for me.

That said, I'm on day 9 and finally feeling better but not 100%.  And still tired all the freaking time.

Edited by Tabe

Sounds like "Facebook is changing its name" is a bit overstated.  I don't think the social media app's name is going to change.  The parent company, which I think is also called "Facebook," will be changing.  Like when Google changed its name to Alphabet, but the search engine, etc., is still branded "Google."  But that's a more complex headline to write and "OMG FACEBOOK IS CHANGING ITS NAME" gets the clicks. 

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Sounds like "Facebook is changing its name" is a bit overstated.  I don't think the social media app's name is going to change.  The parent company, which I think is also called "Facebook," will be changing.  Like when Google changed its name to Alphabet, but the search engine, etc., is still branded "Google."  But that's a more complex headline to write and "OMG FACEBOOK IS CHANGING ITS NAME" gets the clicks. 

Correct,  The parent company is changing its name, but Facebook will still exist as one of the apps under the parent company umbrella - along with Instagram, Oculus, and whatever else Facebook owns,

I think this is partially in response to Facebook's various regulatory and PR nightmares and a general desire to not be (as) synonymous with social media.  But it also seems to be growing out of a desire to brand themselves as a more broad-based technology company.  Zuckerberg has been trying to get the term "metaverse company" into the public consciousness lately and has been pouring a fair bit into research and development of some pretty far out tech like augmented reality glasses for the masses (which Facebook swears will be as ubiquitous as smart phones in a few years. 

• Like 1