DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

I had a double abscess in my lower front teeth when I was around 12.  After unsuccessfully exhausting all the typical root canal methods, they decided to just knock me out, put a rubber block in my mouth, slice open my gums from the front, drain out all the puss and disinfect the area, then stitch it all back up.  Some real Civil War era dentistry, there.  Fuckers got reinfected 20-some years later, too.  Fuck any and all abscesses.

Edited by Technico Support

I gave notice at my job today via email to all the necessary higher ups and our VP of sales (my bosses, bosses boss - basically the highest ranking corporate person I would ever meet or speak to) replied and said "We wish you well in your future endeavors". So let the rumors of me signing with AEW or Impact begin!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I gave notice at my job today via email to all the necessary higher ups and our VP of sales (my bosses, bosses boss - basically the highest ranking corporate person I would ever meet or speak to) replied and said "We wish you well in your future endeavors". So let the rumors of me signing with AEW or Impact begin!

WHAT IS RYANS81177 DOING HERE IN THE IMPACT ZONE?!

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Natural said:

71928227_10156758352253862_7298206461715

Rayven was put to sleep today from cancer. The Rayven had just turned 6. I can't put into words how much that dog means to me. Ray' was only six. Fuck cancer. Photo taken 9th January 2019.

14 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Fucking heartbroken.

i'm sorry you and Rayven had to go through that. Always here if you need a friend. Will be thinking of you all day. 

• Thanks 1

I have 9/11 on the mind and while I remember everything about that day I hardly remember the day before anymore.  It's almost like the normal I lived before got wiped out by this new normal that's been happening these past 20 years. 

I know that sounds weird but it's so goddamn depressing to think about. Can't imagine at this point how I'll be tomorrow. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore

13 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I have 9/11 on the mind and while I remember everything about that day I hardly remember the day before anymore.  It's almost like the normal I lived before got wiped out by this new normal that's been happening these past 20 years. 

I know that sounds weird but it's so goddamn depressing to think about. Can't imagine at this point how I'll be tomorrow. 

I remember everything because it happened two days before I got married.  One of my groomsmen was an Air Force pilot and before we knew it, he was running supply drops over Kabul.  We left an empty place at the head table in his honor.  My dad got to walk two bridesmaids down the aisle, so that was fun.

Just as I have every year for the last ten or so (COVID cancellations not withstanding), I will watch the reading of the names of the departed during the memorial and down a shot of Jamaican rum when they announce the name of Bernard Mascarenhas, the late father of former prominent DVDVR contributor and kickass Toronto based lawyer badass, Sven Mascarenhas.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 8

I'm a little late with my 9/11 reminiscence but...

Back then, I still listened to the radio on the way to work.  I never turned on the TV or anything before leaving for work.  So I get in the car and I'm driving to work.  After a few minutes, it dawns on me that my rock station is playing the news.  But the news coverage is kinda vague and I wasn't paying THAT close attention to it - I'm just driving, ya know?  And then they say they're simulcasting some news station "because of what happened in New York this morning".  My ears perked right up.  My wife was still asleep at home so didn't call her.  Called my coworker friend Andru.  "Dru, what's going on?"  And he tells me.  I immediately called home and woke up the wife to tell her to watch TV.  I'm pretty sure she stayed glued to the set the rest of the day.  I continued my drive into work and it was...incredibly bizarre.  We had a couple hundred people at the time but it was extremely quiet.  Myself and my teammates spent the morning not doing a lick of work.  We just bounced from web site to web site trying to get news and video of what was going on.  We had awesome internet at our office but every site was just overwhelmed so they were loading like we were on a 300 baud modem - if they loaded at all.  Complete with 10fps 120x90 videos.  That went for a few hours before they finally just sent us home.

At the time, I worked for a company that did high-end technical support for Citibank and its financial systems.  Our largest, busiest branch was located in one of the towers.  We spent a couple days wondering before hearing from corporate that all of the Citibank folks had gotten out safely.  

After they sent us home, Dru went home to his wife and they had a small, subdued celebration.  It was their oldest son's first birthday.  

• Like 1

Last year at this time, I asked a young friend of mine (he's a sophomore in college now) what he and his generation think of 9/11 and what it means to them.  His answer (paraphrase) was something like "There's not much meaning.  It was a really bad thing that happened but we don't have a connection to it.  We learn about it and we know what it was but that's about it."

That makes sense to me.  I mean, that's basically how I feel about Pearl Harbor.  I appreciate the gravity and the importance, etc, but there's not that same visceral, emotional connection to the event like there is with 9/11.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Last year at this time, I asked a young friend of mine (he's a sophomore in college now) what he and his generation think of 9/11 and what it means to them.  His answer (paraphrase) was something like "There's not much meaning.  It was a really bad thing that happened but we don't have a connection to it.  We learn about it and we know what it was but that's about it."

That makes sense to me.  I mean, that's basically how I feel about Pearl Harbor.  I appreciate the gravity and the importance, etc, but there's not that same visceral, emotional connection to the event like there is with 9/11.  

I was thinking about this the other day. I don’t think society’s ills will be fixed by any American who was cognizant of 9/11 in real time. We’re several generations of people dealing with trauma and manifesting it in various unhealthy ways. If there’s a ship left to be righted one day, it’ll be by people who were born in the late 90s at the earliest. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 5:32 PM, (BP) said:

I was thinking about this the other day. I don’t think society’s ills will be fixed by any American who was cognizant of 9/11 in real time. We’re several generations of people dealing with trauma and manifesting it in various unhealthy ways. If there’s a ship left to be righted one day, it’ll be by people who were born in the late 90s at the earliest. 

I was nearly 30 on 9/11.  I honestly don't remember where I was that morning or what I was doing.  Nor do I have any friends, colleagues, coworkers, etc. who seem traumatized by 9/11 or seem haunted the way some of you say you are.  I didn't know personally know anyone in the Towers, but my firm lost people that day, so I'm somewhat close to the situation.

Out of curiosity, how am I supposed to be traumatized?  I really can think of one or two people who even did much to mark the 20th anniversary.  My general impression is that my generation - and the older gens -mourned for a bit, then life went on.  

FWIW, I don't remember where I was that day when I heard about it.  Probably at work.

9/11 was an odd day for me. My Aunt was in the hospital about to die from the cancer she had been fighting for 5 years. I slept in that day,had passed out in my recliner in the living room the night before. I woke up and the tv was on MTV. The sound was off and I thought "This is one odd music video". Took the dog out,had a cig out on the porch. Walked back in and the phone rang. Was my dad telling me my aunt was dead.

It was hours later I found out what was going on.

15 hours ago, Eoae said:

I was nearly 30 on 9/11.  I honestly don't remember where I was that morning or what I was doing.  

Out of curiosity, how am I supposed to be traumatized?  I really can think of one or two people who even did much to mark the 20th anniversary.  My general impression is that my generation - and the older gens -mourned for a bit, then life went on.  

Not knowing where you were that morning is, as I'm sure you've deduced, highly unusual among people of your age.  That's neither good nor bad, just unusual.

As for being traumatized, I'm not either.  I remember the day in detail but there's no lingering effects from it.  

• Like 1

the day of 9/11, i was a few weeks into starting college. i was skipping my morning classes that day so i could watch the Price Is Right (i probably had a major hangover too, but i can't confirm that). didn't get to see Bob Barker that day.

and i usually feel like the odd man out in that i'm not that effected by what happened. like yeah, i can appreciate the tragedy and mourn the loss of life, but i have zero personal connection to what happened.  @Tabe's comparison to Pearl Harbor is spot on for me.

now, this did lead to friends of mine signing up for and/or being deployed overseas by the military, so it's not that i'm completely cut out from connection.