DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Sting has got to hit Taz in the forehead with the bat next week. This entering and staring down Team Taz stuff has run its course. I don't expect slop drops for all but gimme some violence plz. 

@El Gran Gordiit's Hiraku, please show some respect.

If anybody, I'd like to see Taz, Jr. take the bat to the head. Maybe it's his face. He just looks like an asshole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ErGBscLVkAAuDO_?format=jpg&name=small

My favourite version of the three TNT Championship designs. Like how there's red on the leather as a nod to the first two but this is darker/on the inside of the belt. Be interested to have seen a white strap one. I prefer secondary titles to have black or white.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Amazing main event. Loved how chaotic all the post-match stuff was. "they don't even work here! It's a hostile takeover!!" the Bucks still seemed reluctant/hesitant in the end so I feel like that still might lead to Bucks vs. Good Brothers eventually. AEW tag champs vs Impact tag champs. Fenix and Kenny were both on fire. 

Loved Shida/Abadon, thought that was a really fun brawl while feeling different from Shida's other matches due to Abadon's character. The commercial break kind of seemed to cut off Abdaon's momentum after the under the ring spot, but prior to that I briefly thought she might win. Glad to see Hikaru retain and deliver in this spot. Enjoyed Cody/Sydal a lot. Gotta love the Snoop Splash. Fun 8 man opener, loved the "Best Meltzer Ever" finish. I'll be sad when SCU do end up losing for good. Hager/Wardlow was great, was a bit surprised by the total definitive clean finish but really good stuff there. 

I like JR keeping the "It's Wednesday, you know what that means" to open the show, might as well be the official intro now. Also great was heading into break with "You're damn right it's unpredictable, ain't nuthin but a G thang!" Next week is looking fairly stacked as well for night 2... really great 1-2 punch to kick off 2021 for AEW. 

• Like 5

Just now, The Natural said:

ErGBscLVkAAuDO_?format=jpg&name=small

My favourite version of the three TNT Championship designs. Like how there's red on the leather as a nod to the first two versions but this is darker/on the inside of the belt. Be interested to have 

the belt they should have had all along

• Like 3

Thought the main event and post-match stuff was Excalibur's best work in AEW so far. There was a moment where he sounded legitimately fired up during Fenix's ending salvo. Love the Ibushi shoutout too. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Well, I just have to get this all off of my chest. That just has to have been the worst pro wrestling TV show of all time.

You start with The Young Bucks and SoCal Uncensored vs The Acclaimed and The Hybrid 2: Just a total mess. Too many guys in the ring, too many moves. C'mon lads. It's a tag match. Shine, heat, hot tag, finish. It's not hard. The fact that this clusterbomb heated up the crowd just proves that AEW fans are blind supporters who don't understand how pro wrestling actually works.

Wardlow vs Jake Hager was a real showcase for Wardlow's agility and Hager's technical wrestling. That makes me very uncomfortable. Big men should exclusively work as big men. Some forearm smashes, an avalanche or two in the corner, maybe a sidewalk slam or something. I guess it's Tony Khan's lousy booking that forces these guys to work like individuals.

The main problem with Cody Rhodes vs Matt Sydal is this: Why is Snoop Dog coming out with Cody Rhodes, who is his costar on a show that Snoop was here to promote? They should have used Snoop to get someone more deserving over. Also, Cody is a Rhodes, why isn't he using the bionic elbow and the flip, flop, and fly? (And if I can break gimmick for just a second: Holy cow do I ever like the Snooped-up version of Cody's theme! That's going into my workout mix as soon as I can get hold of it, assuming I can).

AEW Women's World Championship: Hikaru Shida or Riho or Tay Conti, it's impossible to tell (c) vs Abadon: How many female wrestling zombies does AEW have on the roster? One. How many female wrestlers do they have where their whole entire gimmick is that they are from Japan or Portugal or someplace weird? It's like half the ladies roster! How can you expect those foreign ladies to ever stand out when so many of them have the exact same gimmick? 

Then Sting comes into the ring and it starts snowing? Sure, like I'm supposed to believe that. 

AEW World Championship: Kenny Omega (c) w/ Don Callis vs Rey Fenix: When will horrible booker Tony Khan ever learn that putting Kenneth Schmo-mega in the main even is ratings death? And then they end the show with a shout out to a gimmick that comes from China or Brazil or someplace weird like that? How do they expect anyone but the miniscule handful of fans who watch foreign wrestling to care about that?

Also, Omega and Fénix really beat the hell out of each other. That makes me uncomfortable. Little guys should exclusively do low-impact flippy stuff. 

And now Fénix has lost a championship match, so nobody will ever care to watch him wrestle ever again. What a waste! I like that young man, he reminds me of Tito Santana...

I am Good Ole Just El Gran Goodear of Culture.

ban plz ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Said it before and will again, AEW's belts look like prestigious championships, same goes for NJPW compared to WWE's main roster titles. Only WWE ones I like are on NXT and NXT UK.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6

Goddamn that match was good. Fenix when given this kind of opportunity is maybe the best in the world, certainly the best at combining athleticism and impact.

The angle stuff afterwards, I was never a huge Bullet Club fan, so there's no nostalgia value in this for me. Earnest question: do y'all find this stuff exciting? The will they or won't they, the cute little hand signs and all? Especially aside from, like, how it affects ratings?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Well, I just have to get this all off of my chest. That just has to have been the worst pro wrestling TV show of all time.

You start with The Young Bucks and SoCal Uncensored vs The Acclaimed and The Hybrid 2: Just a total mess. Too many guys in the ring, too many moves. C'mon lads. It's a tag match. Shine, heat, hot tag, finish. It's not hard. The fact that this clusterbomb heated up the crowd just proves that AEW fans are blind supporters who don't understand how pro wrestling actually works.

Wardlow vs Jake Hager was a real showcase for Wardlow's agility and Hager's technical wrestling. That makes me very uncomfortable. Big men should exclusively work as big men. Some forearm smashes, an avalanche or two in the corner, maybe a sidewalk slam or something. I guess it's Tony Khan's lousy booking that forces these guys to work like individuals.

The main problem with Cody Rhodes vs Matt Sydal is this: Why is Snoop Dog coming out with Cody Rhodes, who is his costar on a show that Snoop was here to promote? They should have used Snoop to get someone more deserving over. Also, Cody is a Rhodes, why isn't he using the bionic elbow and the flip, flop, and fly? (And if I can break gimmick for just a second: Holy cow do I ever like the Snooped-up version of Cody's theme! That's going into my workout mix as soon as I can get hold of it, assuming I can).

AEW Women's World Championship: Hikaru Shida or Riho or Tay Conti, it's impossible to tell (c) vs Abadon: How many female wrestling zombies does AEW have on the roster? One. How many female wrestlers do they have where their whole entire gimmick is that they are from Japan or Portugal or someplace weird? It's like half the ladies roster! How can you expect those foreign ladies to ever stand out when so many of them have the exact same gimmick? 

Then Sting comes into the ring and it starts snowing? Sure, like I'm supposed to believe that. 

AEW World Championship: Kenny Omega (c) w/ Don Callis vs Rey Fenix: When will horrible booker Tony Khan ever learn that putting Kenneth Schmo-mega in the main even is ratings death? And then they end the show with a shout out to a gimmick that comes from China or Brazil or someplace weird like that? How do they expect anyone but the miniscule handful of fans who watch foreign wrestling to care about that?

Also, Omega and Fénix really beat the hell out of each other. That makes me uncomfortable. Little guys should exclusively do low-impact flippy stuff. 

And now Fénix has lost a championship match, so nobody will ever care to watch him wrestle ever again. What a waste! I like that young man, he reminds me of Tito Santana...

This deserves a big ol *chef's kiss*  Well fucking done. 

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

The Kenny haters lining up for the ratings for tonight's episode already. ? Who in the fuck other than us is going to be watching pro wrestling tonight?

Well I might have been sans whiskey but after everything today I was thrilled to have an awesome two hours to take my mind off of it all. What a helluva show and man did that main hit all the right notes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, maciej said:

The angle stuff afterwards, I was never a huge Bullet Club fan, so there's no nostalgia value in this for me. Earnest question: do y'all find this stuff exciting? The will they or won't they, the cute little hand signs and all? Especially aside from, like, how it affects ratings?

I think that eventually the Bucks would have to be folded into this somehow...this looks like a good first step. Building blocks to what could be a compelling story. 

• Like 2

I’m imagining in my head, in a perfect but nonexistent world, 3 months from now we are far along in a “is he in or is he out” angle with Hangman and these guys. And then, in front of a packed house and in the crescendo of an angle two years in the making, he basically says “fuck you, I’ve got my own crew” and the geeks, twerps and nerds from the now-babyface Dark Order storm the ring and get to run wild over these guys to close the show, blowing the roof off the place.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

I’m imagining in my head, in a perfect but nonexistent world, 3 months from now we are far along in a “is he in or is he out” angle with Hangman and these guys. And then, in front of a packed house and in the crescendo of an angle two years in the making, he basically says “fuck you, I’ve got my own crew” and the geeks, twerps and nerds from the now-babyface Dark Order storm the ring and get to run wild over these guys to close the show, blowing the roof off the place.

It's amazing how the Dark Order's gone from where they were to now. Mr. Brodie Lee as the Exalted One and Being The Elite did wonders for them.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Shida/Abadon was an enjoyable bit of smoke-n-mirrors to extract a solid match and some value from Abadon.

Abadon is in a weird place.  She has a very strong presentation that is way ahead of a lot of the women in the company, but in-ring she’s still real green and maybe the least athletic woman on the roster, so you just can’t put her out there on TV every week.  I think she’s still a good ways off from being a regular contributor to the show, but she can be used well in short program like this to put over the current stars.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

sir, you remain the gold standard of quality-over-quantity goodposting this community deserves. my politics-drunk ass would have called them Plenty O'Smegma and Penix + hit "enter" twice as many times and I thank you for your restraint

This was a fantastic episode of Dynamite when it was rolling. This is the Kenny Omega that we paid for. I don't think any version of him is remotely as good as a Weeby Delusional Heel Stable Leader-cum-Workrate God. The public opinion on Kenny prior to his breakout G1 Climax gets overlooked a lot - he was not remotely in the running as a BEST IN THE WORLD~ guy until NJPW had to pivot from AJ Styles' presumed G1 win and hand him the keys. In a way, he is a character actor, and when he's playing the ONE CHARACTER he can pull off, we get main events like tonight's where everything clicks. Anderson and Gallows are due. The Bucks dropping the pretense and just being heels is fine by me. I like where this is going.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EVA said:

Shida/Abadon was an enjoyable bit of smoke-n-mirrors to extract a solid match and some value from Abadon.

Abadon is in a weird place.  She has a very strong presentation that is way ahead of a lot of the women in the company, but in-ring she’s still real green and maybe the least athletic woman on the roster, so you just can’t put her out there on TV every week.  I think she’s still a good ways off from being a regular contributor to the show, but she can be used well in short program like this to put over the current stars.

I thought that match was awesome except for the hokey blood stuff.  It really got over the idea that Shida was fighting for her life.  Abadon should not wrestle at all and should become a female Abdullah the Butcher.  She should be carving people up and having opponents blade for her.  

• Like 4