DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Abadon looked amazing as usual. I don't think this loss hurts her in the long term (hopefully!)

Snoop's move was hilarious. Serpentico getting the rub from Jericho and now Snoop? I'm okay with that.

Why are The Butcher & The Blade helping Kenny Omega?

Young Bucks are now even more heel then they were before, can't stand them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Abadon looked amazing as usual. I don't think this loss hurts her in the long term (hopefully!)

Snoop's move was hilarious. Serpentico getting the rub from Jericho and now Snoop? I'm okay with that.

Why are The Butcher & The Blade helping Kenny Omega?

Young Bucks are now even more heel then they were before, can't stand them.

They don't like Moxley either? He was feuding with their leader a while back.

Edited by TheVileOne

I’m not as high on the Bucks half turning heel  again just as the stink from the last time they did it is just rubbing off now. It does feel at this point like we should know what Cody and The Bucks think about the whole Omega angle.

I was thinking to myself that Team Taz hasn’t run so much from a face not doing anything but walking out since the Hobbs angle where he was in cahoots. The idea that it’s all a set up to turn Sting heel is crazy but funny as hell too. 

I really didn’t like the finish to Shida-Abadon just because they knocked her flat for so long with the knee. Just getting a barely three or getting a roll up finish would have worked better for me. Abadon, despite being the heel, is so new she needed an out of some kind if they’re going to use her going forward. Otherwise you’ve already slayed the dragon.

Edited by Goodear

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Uno's too kayfabe important to exclude, Stu's the workhorse, Silver's the most over, and the match would serve to build up a Page title win so he's in. It would come down to Reynolds or Cabana. Colt would be a significantly better hand. Veteran storyteller babyface who's very comfortable working a Crockett style. But leaving Reynolds out hurts him a lot and devalues Silver/Reynolds as a tag unit.

Elite vs. Dark Order is the better Blood and Guts to run but... Darby, Cody, Sting + Friends vs. Team Taz + Friends is probably what we'll get. It's the kind of high profile match you can slot Sting into and it clicks in both a storyline/historical way and would provide enough smoke and mirrors to avoid bumps. Cody gets to make it all about him. Darby gets to jump off a high place. 

I'd rather see Elite vs Dark Order in the cage, but like others have mentioned, no way they run that without Cody inserting himself. The Rhodes Bros, Darby, and Pillman/Garrison maybe? vs Hobbs/Cage/Starks and FTR? featuring Taz eating a bat shot from Sting at some point. Elite/Dark Order can have a better quality match without needing the Wargames gimmick, plus I think with a lineup featuring the latter parties we're more likely to get blood. Of course they may just go full TNA and have a whole card of cage matches. If DO are in the Cage, I think Silver works better as the underdog who has to fight off a 2 on 1 attack. Page as the last entrant hot tag would get the biggest pop IMO.

• Like 1

I gotta be the weirdo I guess. I thought this was a very blah episode, I thought the opener had too many spots where the Acclaimed looked dumb because Matt put a guy in position for one move but did something else, then did the move to the Acclaimed. And holding Jack in the tombstone position that long seemed silly.

Moxley promo was fire.

Weigh-in was ok. I still think Team Taz looks stupid for not doing something with Sting.

The women's match just seemed clunky and the finish seemed flat.

The main event was great and one of those matches where I thought the finish would have came off way better with a crowd. After match was chaotic and I loved it.

49 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My guess is that Kenny and/or Don Callis pay very well.

My wildest fantasy is AEW running Buffalo with B&B as complete faces challenging for the title and when there's a bunch of interference Taro Tsujimoto hops out of the stands, cleans house and B&B win the titles. Also Rick Jenerett replaces JR to call it.

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Really enjoyed Omega v Fenix (such a shame there wasn't a hot crowd to witness it) and hopefully the Bucks will lean in to their heel turn this time around.

Per Meltzer, Matt Jackson just suffered a leg contusion and won't miss any time.

Apparently, when he put his knees up to block Jack Evans 630 splash, Evans landed on him so hard that Jackson thought the impact broke his leg.  

There's one Buck who looks like a legit star (the one with the beard and definition - and is seemingly booked as the stronger, bigger threat) and then there's the other one prematurely balding who looks like a time travelling Robert Gibson. Its almost an inadvertent tribute to the Rock n Rolls.

I'm really not keen on a heel Bucks run either. If there were anyone I wanted to go to WWE, and get the Ricochet treatment, it'd be them.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I gotta be the weirdo I guess. I thought this was a very blah episode, I thought the opener had too many spots where the Acclaimed looked dumb because Matt put a guy in position for one move but did something else, then did the move to the Acclaimed. And holding Jack in the tombstone position that long seemed silly.

Moxley promo was fire.

Weigh-in was ok. I still think Team Taz looks stupid for not doing something with Sting.

The women's match just seemed clunky and the finish seemed flat.

The main event was great and one of those matches where I thought the finish would have came off way better with a crowd. After match was chaotic and I loved it.

Speaking as an old Sting mark who would very much defend his place in any Hall of Fame, this is why I thought signing him to a "full-time" contract was highly misguided. Sure they are trying to work around Sting, but it's becoming painfully apparent that he can't really get physical in any of these confrontations. Not to mention, this act is getting repetitive. Sting making a save and everyone running scared one week and Tony yelling it's Sting was fine. But how long can they milk this without any headway? And he has a multi-year contract.

Other than some nostalgia value and being able to sell all his merchandise, I don't see what value there is to Sting as a TV character in 2021. It doesn't look like people are tuning in to see Sting on Dynamite anymore. They've done what they can with that. 

• Like 2

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

It doesn't look like people are tuning in to see Sting on Dynamite anymore. They've done what they can with that. 

Agreed, just have Hobbs powerbomb Fake Sting through a table and get it over with.

Edited by Jimbo_Tsuruta

It's funny. Matt absolutely looks like the star. Better body, really nice hair, the beard helps his look. Nick looks relatively terrible (much better than I do, of course)

But in the ring, Nick is fucking great. Matt's good, but Nick is clearly the workhorse of the team.

• Like 1

Skipped the opener. Nothing there for me. 

Hager/Wardlow felt like a dry run for something better down the road. All the parts were there but not everything fit. Both guys should work stiffer and shorter, less spots, more beastly. It'll come about if they get more tries. 

Cody/Sydal would have blown the top off a PWG crowd, and seeing tall-ass Snoop even attempt a splash was hilarious. Personally I would have done a Dick Togo Senton, but that's just me. My back's already been broken but my knees are more painful to land on. 

Man I wanted to love Abadon/Shida but... well, Shida sucks. I'll just cement my opinion now. She sucks. Abadon might be green but she has to do nothing, yet Shida still shits it up. Let Abadon be Abby-don and send Shida back to Stardom or wherever. Give the belt to anyone good. 

Jericho hasn't bothered me, and the Venom mention gives him points for sure! You're back in my good graces you dumbass. 

I might watch the main later. Apparently Kenny didn't kill Fenix, so that's good. 

EDIT: I enjoyed exactly half of Fenix/Omega. Jericho won more points by saying "Twitch of the Death Nerve". The beatdown was fucking GREAT though!

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Re-watched the main tonight. Kenny and Fenix have great chemistry and when Fenix is clicking as a single he's great. He gets major hangtime. Recklessness and ingenuity and he sells offense like it kills him. His legs go out from under him better than almost anyone. And we got him using the level ramp for an outside-in rope spot! A favourite flourish of mine during his Impact run. Love him. It's a shame Fenix is so diminished by so many people working a similar style.

The counter into the Tiger Driver was god-tier. Good on both guys.

I would vastly prefer both Lucha Bros as singles at this point. 

Anyone who ever booked Kenny as a babyface is a moron. Also, these tights he's been using are way better than his standard AEW fare. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 6

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
6 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Anyone who ever booked Kenny as a babyface is a moron. Also, these tights he's been using are way better than his standard AEW fare. 

100% agree smug creep heel Kenny hits the spot. 

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

ErKaZH0UUAAnLqn?format=jpg&name=large

For those who dont go into the "Wrestling belts, designs and reigns" thread, didn't want you missing out. Now that's a belt. All of AEW's are great, same goes for NJPW.

Looks fantastic. I'd like to see Darby unify that and the world championship against Omega at some point but I guess the long term plan is to go with Page.

Page being the eventual number one guy has been the plan literally since day one in the company.

Darby being a hybrid of Sting and Jeff Hardy seems like the perfect set-up to be a really strong number 2 guy though. Though if he were three inches taller and 40 lbs heavier...

• Like 2

I think Adam Page will be the one that ends Kenny Omega's AEW World Championship reign. Speaking of Kenny Omega, an AEW World Championship match with PAC is a must. The Iron Man match is one of the best matches in AEW history, like top ten minimum.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I didn't watch the show until last night and after trying to avoid spoilers all day, I had to go to the Observer site for something totally unrelated and got spoiled by the main story banner.  Dammit.  Anyway, really great show!  Was there a bad match on it?

The "MJF is slowly taking over the Inner Circle from within" story is *chef's kiss*.  Jericho is on commentary and totally unconcerned with his guys while MJF plays nice guy and courts their friendship.  Just excellent.

If AEW wants to start every single week with a multiman spotfest designed to thrill people like me and annoy the Cornette stans of the world who think wrestling shouldn't have evolved from 1985 Crockett, I have no problem with that.

"HE HAD MULTIPLE BLACK EYES!" -- Jericho
"So that's two black eyes." -- Schiavone

I don't like Jericho on commentary.  It sounds like they're having fun from time to time, but then he's just yelling over everything and the others are struggling to get their shit in.  Dude seems like he went full Tony Montana at about 7:55pm Eastern.  Just too much.  

"That's the Navarro Dos Mil!"  -- Excalibur
"THA HWHUT???"  -- JR channelling Hank Hill

Moxley's promo was good but not on the level of his other reent ones.  But halfass Moxley is still better than a lot of guys.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL of course Cody gets to be in the "we designed this bit of business specifically to get played on mainstream outlets" segment.  This fucking guy.  And his opponent AND the run-in guys were all nobody special as far as the roster goes, which ensures only Cody and Snoop get the attention.  A master class in getting yourself and nobody else over.  Absolutley Dusty's son.  

Abadon/Shida was wacky, bordering on Lucha Underground fun.  Nice booking of the finish with Shida hitting a desperation knee out of almost nowhere.  That's how you keep someone strong in a loss.  

Holy shit was Hager/Wardlow a fun MEAN GUY MATCH (tm Vinny V).  Wardlow goes over, respect fist bump.  Awesome.

Omega/Fenix was just amazing.  So happy that Fenix got to do all he could do instead of overreaching and getting hurt halfway through and then having to dial it back.  Dude's been so snakebit.   

I wish we'd gotten a better shot of the new TV belt.  On TV, it looked like the old belt with some kind of red splotch on it.  I had to see it only this morning to realize it's a red banner that says "champion."

Once I tell you Will Hobbs looks facially like a young Keith David, you'll never unsee it.

I read the Bucks' book over the holidays and was struck by how close they are with Kenny.  It made me feel like they would probably team up soon.  Funny how things work out.  Should be a fun run.  I liked SCU's promo and now they'll be coming after the Bucks with hate instead of respect.

Miro's outfit was ridiculous.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1