DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The opening match was ok but I thought the heel team didn't get enough in. As much as they've been pushing The Acclaimed and TH2 lately they got treated like job guys here.

AEW is the only place I've seen Wardlow and this was the best I thought he's looked.

Miro's Konan reference got a guffaw out of me.

Cody/Sydal was fine though had a bit too much shit-getting-in from Cody.

I've been a big fan of Abadon ever since she showed up. There are several different aspects that go into being a successful wrestler, some of which I think are more teachable than others. One of these intangible qualities is having an "It factor" about you. This can be in the form of a memorable and well-executed character, over-the-top charisma, a unique look, or some combination. Unlike mat skills or mic work, this is one of those things that's more difficult to learn and a lot of people just have or they don't. So far Abadon has shown to have a unique character and aura about her (or at least in the way they've built her up in the program with Shida) and being that she's still very new to the business, there's time and opportunity for her ringwork to come along. Picking up talent like that who have compelling qualities about them, then fine-tuning their wrestling skills is definitely a good plan for AEW, though that's going to be hard when they can't run house shows. That being said the match was decent but hampered by the commercial break, which kind of killed the momentum a bit. I also think they could have ended it with the pull under the ring spot and had it end with a double count out or something.

I enjoyed the main event, but heel or face I'm just never going to be an Omega fanboy. The Bucks' turn came off as kind of half-assed and hesitant. I don't know if this was because they're going to go with the story of them being reluctant to join the nu-Bullet Club (NJPW owns the rights to the name I'm assuming?) or maybe it just wasn't executed all that well. Them being reluctant members of their old gang leading to an eventual face turn sounds like the best course of action.

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 2

Kenny/Matt/Nick/Doc/Karl vs Uno/Stoo/Reynolds/Silver/Page in Blood and Guts would be awesome, and honestly make more sense than the (nevertheless amazing sounding) original one they booked last year

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I tried to watch but when I turned it on I heard Jericho's voice and just turned it off again. Maybe I'll be able to watch it tonight.

If I had one really negative about the show last night it was him on commentary. His style of YELLING EVERY SINGLE THING gets annoying quick. I'm not sure who he's trying to emulate, but he should stop. It's a shame because I like the idea of Jericho being a commentator. Just not how he does it now.

Aside from that I thought it was a fun show as always. I loved the ending and didn't honestly expect The Good Brothers to show up and then The Bucks throwing the sign up was great. I wasn't watching for their original run in New Japan, so this new version of The Eliete has so much potential and it all leading up to I hope a Blood & Guts match at Double or Nothing in May.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I tried to watch but when I turned it on I heard Jericho's voice and just turned it off again. Maybe I'll be able to watch it tonight.

I hate his style of commentary. But he had one great moment last night when Excalibur was barreling through a plug for a match later in the show and talking about other stuff during Hager-Wardlow, and he talked right over him and demanded everyone focus on the match. Making people pay attention while the one match on the show featuring your faction is kicking into gear was a nice touch. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Kenny/Matt/Nick/Doc/Karl vs Uno/Stoo/Reynolds/Silver/Page in Blood and Guts would be awesome, and honestly make more sense than the (nevertheless amazing sounding) original one they booked last year

Agree wholeheartedly Brian, and the other thing too is that it all worked out in the end because we got Stadium Stampede between those two teams instead, which was one of the highlights of the wrestling year for me.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Doesn't seem likely that the Bucks associating with Kenny, Karl and Doc lasts long enough for a feud blowoff.  At least where they're all on the same side.  That said, I liked 'Khan's lousy booking' with the Bucks reuniting reluctantly.  The chaotic finish was nice - other than the ridiculous video of Pac having to pretend to sell the sassiness of the Bunny and Kingston's pose.  What the fuck?  Give him the beats!  Also what the fuck was with Rey Fenix's arm coming up there on the three count?  If it's 'Khan's lousing booking' leading to a rematch I'm game, but it seemed a bit like dumbfuckery after a cunning performance.  I really hope Rey finds great success in the year 2021.  

Indeed an excellent bout to close out a pretty strong start to the year.  Here's hoping Nick Jackson's leg is alright.  The Bucks have been on an incredible tear and it would be a shame to lose them.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

At what point is JR being Hager's hype man and burying the other guy he's in the ring with, still perfectly within the realms of kayfabe/character consistency and not unprofessional?

I'm not sure where I stand on it, because its essentially what he did for Austin except he was the biggest babyface of all time, whereas he constantly sniped Wardlow as being below Hager unnecessarily. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RolandTHTG said:

At what point is JR being Hager's hype man and burying the other guy he's in the ring with, still perfectly within the realms of kayfabe/character consistency and not unprofessional?

I'm not sure where I stand on it, because its essentially what he did for Austin except he was the biggest babyface of all time, whereas he constantly sniped Wardlow as being below Hager unnecessarily. 

Since Wardlow outshone Hager in every way in that match, maybe he was just covering for his buddy?

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

I hate his style of commentary.

I'm hit or miss on the commentary; I really didn't want to hear him right then for political reasons. Or watch Hager for that matter even though I'd wanted to see that match more than anything else on the show. World weary, last night. 

The wild Japanese matches DEAN posted in the Blood thread perked me up though!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DangerMark said:

I don't know where he would fit in with Bulc Tellub, but if they run Blood and Guts without Cody, I will eat my hat.

That's a great point too. They could get some will he/won't he out of some Cody/Club interaction. Maybe a push and pull thing with Hangman/DO on the other side telling him not to join up etc. 

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

John Silver being the fourth man in to a Wargames match is a candidate for hottest tag of all time

Who(m) starts for Dark Order? 

Stu? 10? Do you include Reynolds so you have a fall guy? I'd have to say if there's a War Games match with the DO you got to have Evil Uno involved. 

The potential now for a Dark Order War Games team can go so many ways! 

I think Stu has to start... he is the best worker and fits that AA role. After that I'd look at either 10 or Cabana, followed by Evil Uno and then Silver. 

But if you have Page aligned with the DO do you go with him 4th? That woukd push out Stu/Uno. So you'd have to go with 10 tonstart, followed by Reynolds, Page, and then build up to that little spark plug jumping up n down on the sidelines in Sikver begging to get in for that suspense. 

• Like 1

Uno's too kayfabe important to exclude, Stu's the workhorse, Silver's the most over, and the match would serve to build up a Page title win so he's in. It would come down to Reynolds or Cabana. Colt would be a significantly better hand. Veteran storyteller babyface who's very comfortable working a Crockett style. But leaving Reynolds out hurts him a lot and devalues Silver/Reynolds as a tag unit.

Elite vs. Dark Order is the better Blood and Guts to run but... Darby, Cody, Sting + Friends vs. Team Taz + Friends is probably what we'll get. It's the kind of high profile match you can slot Sting into and it clicks in both a storyline/historical way and would provide enough smoke and mirrors to avoid bumps. Cody gets to make it all about him. Darby gets to jump off a high place. 

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Uno's too kayfabe important to exclude, Stu's the workhorse, Silver's the most over, and the match would serve to build up a Page title win so he's in. It would come down to Reynolds or Cabana. Colt would be a significantly better hand. Veteran storyteller babyface who's very comfortable working a Crockett style. But leaving Reynolds out hurts him a lot and devalues Silver/Reynolds as a tag unit.

Elite vs. Dark Order is the better Blood and Guts to run but... Darby, Cody, Sting + Friends vs. Team Taz + Friends is probably what we'll get. It's the kind of high profile match you can slot Sting into and it clicks in both a storyline/historical way and would provide enough smoke and mirrors to avoid bumps. Cody gets to make it all about him. Darby gets to jump off a high place. 

I would be so sad if that happened. 

Loved that ending with The Bucks super kicking Griff/Pillman pretty much out of instinct of seeing Kenny being attacked and then joining in the too sweet with a kind of “ok ok yeah I guess we’ve missed you assholes”.

• Like 2