DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

What a great fucking show that took my mind off of real life for a couple hours. Main event ruled, the BC angle ruled, Snoop up on the top rope for some reason made me think of how goofy it would look if Taue did moves off the top, abs everything else was just very pleasant. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Snoop up on the top rope for some reason made me think of how goofy it would look if Taue did moves off the top, abs everything else was just very pleasant. 

HE'S 9 FEET TALL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Thought the main event and post-match stuff was Excalibur's best work in AEW so far. There was a moment where he sounded legitimately fired up during Fenix's ending salvo. Love the Ibushi shoutout too. 

Excepting Tony, tonight was everyone at that desk's best night on commentary. And Tony is only excepted because he's been so consistently good that he didn't standout. 

This was a great show and one of the best episodes of Dynamite thus far. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas
  • Like 4

Thank God for AEW and NJPW. It's great to be excited by wrestling and get their quality than WWE which has a talented roster but usually have an uphill battle against Vince McMahon and the bad booking. Few overcome it.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

The ending to tonight's Dynamite seems to have huge and far reaching implications. But what do you call this reformed/reformatted Bullet Club? Just The Elite? The Ammo Gang? 

I don't want to get into a big discussion, but I hope current events don't tank the ratings for both shows tonight, but I guess we'll see.

The storytelling is definitely there for NJPW. NJPW definitely has great storytelling and characters. They just do it in a different way than the US. 

• Like 2

Matt Hardy telling Private Party that they can "keep their Cameo and Twitch accounts" got a laugh out of me. 

Thought Abadon delivered in her chance at the spotlight, even if some of the bits were over-the-top (and, to be honest, I can get why she and Shida went under the ring. There was criticism a few weeks back about the original neck spot looking corny. I have to think AEW considered ways to improve the spot and, when they couldn't, went with a fail-safe Plan B.). It told the story perfectly -- for Shida to triumph over Abadon, she essentially had to fight like Abadon.

Where Abadon goes from here, I have no idea because, as mentioned before, she's booked as a "super heel" with no factions, friendships, etc. She can feud with anyone, but there's no one you can specifically target at the moment. Have her continue working on Dark beating jobbers to protect her and work on her in-ring skills while working on ways to advance the character. Having a Gary Hart-esque manager do the talking for her might help -- I don't know how she normally speaks, but I'm curious if she'd be open to doing double duty, wrestling as Abadon and appearing more, well, "human" as Abadon's spokesperson or advisor. Given her talents with costuming and makeup, I could see her come up with a second character that will make it hard to believe that she and Abadon are, in fact, the same person. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, maciej said:

Goddamn that match was good. Fenix when given this kind of opportunity is maybe the best in the world, certainly the best at combining athleticism and impact.

The angle stuff afterwards, I was never a huge Bullet Club fan, so there's no nostalgia value in this for me. Earnest question: do y'all find this stuff exciting? The will they or won't they, the cute little hand signs and all? Especially aside from, like, how it affects ratings?

This lady is f'n stoked for it!

img_main.jpg

• Like 2

Okay I just have to say Omega vs. Rey Fenix was an outstanding TV match. Fenix is incredible. Provided he can stay healthy, I think he can be a huge star in AEW. I was really feeling it when he did that Guerrero homage before the frog splash attempt. Also, that Fire Thunder Driver was beautiful. Not a move we see very often.

Omega was able to match and keep up with his style well.

post-match brawl was also good. I like that the Bucks sort of begrudgingly went along with it. At first they seemed uncertain and just kicked the other guys to break things up.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, maciej said:

Goddamn that match was good. Fenix when given this kind of opportunity is maybe the best in the world, certainly the best at combining athleticism and impact.

The angle stuff afterwards, I was never a huge Bullet Club fan, so there's no nostalgia value in this for me. Earnest question: do y'all find this stuff exciting? The will they or won't they, the cute little hand signs and all? Especially aside from, like, how it affects ratings?

Yeah. I mean it’s two promotions crossing over in a mutually positive way. Which opens up a lot of storyline possibilities.

Is Mox going to get revenge on Impact?

Are Garrison/Pillman going to challenge for the Impact Tag Titles?

How does Hangman Page fit in?

Is Cody going to stand up for AEW?

There’s a lot of possible story avenues that just opened up. Like Moxley going through Omega’s cronies to get to Omega is a pretty boss way to build to a rematch without rushing it.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Well, I just have to get this all off of my chest. That just has to have been the worst pro wrestling TV show of all time.

You start with The Young Bucks and SoCal Uncensored vs The Acclaimed and The Hybrid 2: Just a total mess. Too many guys in the ring, too many moves. C'mon lads. It's a tag match. Shine, heat, hot tag, finish. It's not hard. The fact that this clusterbomb heated up the crowd just proves that AEW fans are blind supporters who don't understand how pro wrestling actually works.

Wardlow vs Jake Hager was a real showcase for Wardlow's agility and Hager's technical wrestling. That makes me very uncomfortable. Big men should exclusively work as big men. Some forearm smashes, an avalanche or two in the corner, maybe a sidewalk slam or something. I guess it's Tony Khan's lousy booking that forces these guys to work like individuals.

The main problem with Cody Rhodes vs Matt Sydal is this: Why is Snoop Dog coming out with Cody Rhodes, who is his costar on a show that Snoop was here to promote? They should have used Snoop to get someone more deserving over. Also, Cody is a Rhodes, why isn't he using the bionic elbow and the flip, flop, and fly? (And if I can break gimmick for just a second: Holy cow do I ever like the Snooped-up version of Cody's theme! That's going into my workout mix as soon as I can get hold of it, assuming I can).

AEW Women's World Championship: Hikaru Shida or Riho or Tay Conti, it's impossible to tell (c) vs Abadon: How many female wrestling zombies does AEW have on the roster? One. How many female wrestlers do they have where their whole entire gimmick is that they are from Japan or Portugal or someplace weird? It's like half the ladies roster! How can you expect those foreign ladies to ever stand out when so many of them have the exact same gimmick? 

Then Sting comes into the ring and it starts snowing? Sure, like I'm supposed to believe that. 

AEW World Championship: Kenny Omega (c) w/ Don Callis vs Rey Fenix: When will horrible booker Tony Khan ever learn that putting Kenneth Schmo-mega in the main even is ratings death? And then they end the show with a shout out to a gimmick that comes from China or Brazil or someplace weird like that? How do they expect anyone but the miniscule handful of fans who watch foreign wrestling to care about that?

Also, Omega and Fénix really beat the hell out of each other. That makes me uncomfortable. Little guys should exclusively do low-impact flippy stuff. 

And now Fénix has lost a championship match, so nobody will ever care to watch him wrestle ever again. What a waste! I like that young man, he reminds me of Tito Santana...

I am Good Ole Just El Gran Goodear of Culture.

I guess I could do one of these in reverse where everything is super awesome and there's no room for growth for improvement.

But that's already every other post, so who'd be able to tell?

• Like 4

Snoop doing the splash was hilarious

Wardlow vs Hager was another dud big man match for AEW. None of these guys on the roster know how to hoss. Wardlow going over the right result atleast. Hager is hilarious and a good bodygaurd but I don't need to see him wrestle again, thanks.

Wasn't expecting any developments on the Darby/Sting vs Team Taz front as the big match is next week, but hopefully THAT is the blow-off and both sides can move on to new things.

All of this hype around Abadon and she is Sue Yung. It's 2021, I don't think there's any more legs in undead gimmicks at this point.

I was expecting to hate Omega vs Fenix but enjoyed it on the whole. I fully expect it to get all the snowflakes from the usual lot, but I didn't think it was anything amazing. If you took a shot for every goofy Kenny face here, you'd be hammered by the halfway point. Fenix going from being solidly in control to the kneeling chop battle was a head scratching transition. I also don't need to see a rematch here so the screwball finish did nothing for me. I did like the physicality though, plenty of stiffness and all of Fenix's spots were pretty great, especially that backflip into the German. Only spot I thought was dumb was Omega catching him mid-air in the Tiger Driver position, it just looked very implausible.

Leading into yesterday, I had hopes that "It's Wednesday, and you know what that means" would be the opening line for every episode of Dynamite or change the day when it's a PPV. And then it happened and I nearly got teary eyed.

Someone else also mentioned that each episode should begin with that. It would be a fitting tribute to Brodie and always keep him tied to a business he had a positive impact on.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Goodear said:

I guess I could do one of these in reverse where everything is super awesome and there's no room for growth for improvement.

But that's already every other post, so who'd be able to tell?

I  don't want to over-explain this, but most people prefer talking about the things they like.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, killsteve said:

Omega catching him mid-air in the Tiger Driver position, it just looked very implausible.

I’m gonna assume autocorrect got you there, and you meant to say FUCKING INCREDIBLE. ?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Hey guys, no one has mentioned this, but Fenix managed to not kill himself! That alone is worth an extra star for the match. I thought for sure that Fenix was about to die when he ran faster for that dive than anyone else ever would and then he nailed it perfectly and Kenny caught him perfectly.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I  don't want to over-explain this, but most people prefer talking about the things they like.

I think you might want to check the internet again. 

• Haha 2

I kinda feel like the Bucks’ alliance with Kenny’s group will be short-lived.  They came out to stop the beat down, and only superkicked Griff Garrison (whoever the fuck that is) because he was jumping their friend from behind.  I expect Kenny and the Good Brothers to turn on them to get some more heat pretty soon.

It might even be a necessity if Nick is as hurt as rumored.

• Like 1