DVDVR Message Board

New Year's Evil - NXT - 1/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I just wanted to briefly mention that both Meltzer and PWI confirmed that Rhea is being called up (unclear to which show) and that the Raquel loss was her blowoff

Figured as much. There was nothing really left for her to do with how good she already is. She was an easy WOTY candidate for NXT last year. She is more than ready for the main roster. It only saddens me that they will screw it up and that it is happening with no fans. Kind of hope they have her gunning for Charlotte to avenge her loss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Figured as much. There was nothing really left for her to do with how good she already is. She was an easy WOTY candidate for NXT last year. She is more than ready for the main roster. It only saddens me that they will screw it up and that it is happening with no fans. Kind of hope they have her gunning for Charlotte to avenge her loss.

Agree on all counts. I'd add that Rhea Ripley should never have dropped the NXT Women's Championship to Charlotte Flair at WrestleMania XXXVI last year. Rhea deserved a long run.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Agree on all counts. I'd add that Rhea Ripley should never have dropped the NXT Women's Championship to Charlotte Flair at WrestleMania XXXVI last year. Rhea deserved a long run.

I agree and disagree. A long run would have screwed Io. Also in a pandemic environment Charlotte as heel champ eventually losing it back to Rhea would have been great tv. That said, as soon as they realized the pandemic was happening they should have decided Rhea retains. It would have left Charlotte w/o shit to do, but it would have been better for Rhea & NXT.

• Like 1

For the great booking with the NXT Women's Championship in Paige, Sasha Banks, Bayley and Asuka, there's been some bad calls along the way. It's terrible that Becky Lynch and Bianca Belair never held it. Shayna Baszler didn't need an over a year reign. Belair should have ended it at some point and the aforementioned Ripley dropping the NXT Women's Championship to Charlotte. I take @Eivion's points.

Edited by The Natural

Seems like Charlotte was set to have her time off to get all her stuff fixed.  My guess was the Rhea was suppose to win at Mania, but they balked when the pandemic hit thinking they could push that win back to Summerslam thinking crowds would be back by then.  So they gave Charlotte the title in the meantime.  Once it became apparent that wasn't going to happen, they decided to do the Takeover match and get the title on Io.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

They have added KUSHIDA/Leon Ruff and The Bollywood Boyz

Oof.

This tournament isn't looking that hot.

Also someone needs to tell Vic Joseph to stop grunting at every high spot in every match. It's overly distracting and it's getting to the point where I'm starting to miss Mauro and his endless annoying pop culture references.

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

For the great booking with the NXT Women's Championship in Paige, Sasha Banks, Bayley and Asuka, there's been some bad calls along the way. It's terrible that Becky Lynch and Bianca Belair never held it.

I'd actually put Charlotte's reign over Paige's. Shayna's started off so well. Its a pity they overextended it. I disagree about Becky and Bianca. By the time Bianca was ready for the belt she was more than ready to leave for the main roster while Becky wasn't ready to be champ until some time after she hit the main roster.

Edited by Eivion

I'm glad Sasha Banks won the NXT Women's Championship in time at NXT TakeOver: Rival in February 2015. It's still the only match involving all Four Horsewomen. Banks, Becky Lynch and Charlotte Flair were called up to main roster in July 2015. Bayley stayed in NXT till August 2016.