DVDVR Message Board

New Year's Evil - NXT - 1/6/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Looking forward to Finn Balor vs. Kyle O'Reilly II. The first match was runner up to AJ Styles vs. Daniel Bryan on Smackdown Live in my list of the top ten 2020 WWE Matches. Most I'd enjoyed an NXT main event in years away from the Cole/Ciampa/Gargano match formula.

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

Haven't seen any mention of the Thatcher/Ciampa Fight Pit match in any of the preview stuff for tonight's show.  I wonder if it got cancelled or pushed back since it's already a pretty loaded show.

Ooh, forgot that one. Hope it's there and if it's not, soon.

Xia Li looked amazing in her redebut. Every strike she landed was vicious. I liked her a lot before, but I can get behind her if this is what she will be like moving forward.

Raquel/Rhea was so good. Some true senses of violence and some absolutely crazy bumps. I would've like these two turning into tag partners at some point as they could make a dominant women's tag team.

Edited by Edwin

If you want to compete with AEW in the RATINGZ WAR~! then you need to devote more time to Austin Theory getting hit in the groin with a multitude of random objects like an America's Funniest Home Videos episode from 1990.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Raquel/Rhea was so good. Some true senses of violence and some absolutely crazy bumps. I would've like these two turning into tag partners at some point as they could make a dominant women's tag team.

That match was great.  I'm glad Ripley can still walk after some of those bumps.  Needed blood.

• Like 1

Whoever decided Priest/Kross was the match that deserved to run with non commercial breaks deserves to be slapped. Saying that the match was pretty solid and easily the best match Kross has had in NXT though I left thinking Priest was the more impressive of the two.

Escobar/Metalik was a nice little match. Wouldn't mind seeing a bigger rematch.

Xia Li looked good in her return. Love the badass vibe she gave off.

Rhea/Raquel was so damn good once again. there were some nice brutal moments and I loved all of the big spots. Poor Dakota getting sluffed in the locker was hilarious. Only the lack of blood kept from hitting that next level. Happy Raquel came out ahead this time.

Garganos vs. Shotzi/Kushida was fun and a nice come down from Rhea/Raquel.

Finn/Kyle was a fine match. Not quite on the level of their first match but still damn good with some nice viscous moments. Loved Finn going after Kyle's jaw while Kyle focused on Finn's arm.

Pretty good show overall. Ciampa/Thatcher getting pulled either for time or Thatcher being injured sucks, but is probably for the best.

Cole & Strong seemingly being the UE representatives for the Dusty Classic feels weird. A women's variant being announced feels odd with how few tag teams WWE has for women, let alone in NXT. I assume aside from Kacy/Kayden we get Candice/Indi & Raquel/Dakota. Wonder if Riott Squad participates.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:

A women's variant being announced feels odd with how few tag teams WWE has for women, let alone in NXT. I assume aside from Kacy/Kayden we get Candice/Indi & Raquel/Dakota. Wonder if Riott Squad participates.

1. Dakota & Raquel

2. Candice & Indi

3. Kacy & Kayden

4. Marina & Jessamyn

5. Rhea, Shotzi & Ember combo

6. An NXT UK team

7. A main roster

8. Xia Li & Karen Q maybe

Last Woman Standing match was good, but not great. I would have liked more hoss-ness like their first match, this was a very proto-typical WWE gimmick match, at point felt like it was just one prop-based spot after another. If you're going to have someone get hit with a jagged piece of metal fence, you really need some blood. WWE love an announce table bump in every big match, but Ripley's atleast looked pretty brutal with how she landed. I'll admit I bit on the Kai interference and thought that was the finish, and her getting put in the locker was hilarious. This was probably the closest to a female King Kong vs Godzilla match we'll get in the WWE but I'm not sure I liked it more than their first match.

Liked the main event a lot. A match built around a jaw injury is pretty interesting and they did a lot with it. Final run with O'Reilly being a submission wizard and grabbing any hold he could was great. Really good match.

Post show video showing that Jake Atlas and Swerve Scott will be a Dusty team

That brings the teams to...

• Undisputed Era (Adam Cole & Roderick Strong)
  • Ever-Rise (Chase Parker & Matt Martel)
  • Breezango (Tyler Breeze & Fandango)
  • Curt Stallion & August Grey
  • Killian Dain & Drake Maverick
  • Imperium (Marcel Barthel & Fabian Aichner)
  • The Grizzled Young Veterans (Zack Gibson & James Drake)
  • Legado Del Fantasma (Raul Mendoza & Joaquin Wilde)
  • Johnny Gargano & Austin Theory
  • Isaiah "Swerve" Scott & Jake Atlas

So that's 10 so far so either they will go to 12 with byes or 16 total

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

1. Dakota & Raquel

2. Candice & Indi

3. Kacy & Kayden

4. Marina & Jessamyn

5. Rhea, Shotzi & Ember combo

6. An NXT UK team

7. A main roster

8. Xia Li & Karen Q maybe

More likely than a UK team (just because of the current travel related issues) would be a Toni Storm and.... someone

Also Aliyah and any number of "enhancement talent" is easy first round fodder

I figure Rhea is main roster bound (possibly starting with Rumble) so it is more likely that team is Shotzi/Ember

Oh and my dream is Xia's "master" is Meiko Satomura and that's the team

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

Rhea/Raquel was so damn good once again. there were some nice brutal moments and I loved all of the big spots. Poor Dakota getting sluffed in the locker was hilarious. Only the lack of blood kept from hitting that next level. Happy Raquel came out ahead this time.

I enjoyed Vic saying Dakota had been figuratively stuffed in the locker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morganti said:

That would be so good.  I know she was gonna work with NXT UK at some point.. I wonder if that happened/is happening

Meiko hasn't wrestled in Sendai since October so she is presumably in the UK right now.

Edited by Eivion

Some Evil thoughts on New Year of NXT:

Wow, Lumis don't mess around as the host!

Somebody drew a dick on the side of Priest's head while he was sleeping! Well, he put up a hell of a fight against Kross, but he had no hope in hell from the get-go! Anyway, Scarlett... that's all.

Adam Cole seems to be the most progressive leader of any wrestling group ever, as he seems to actually mean what he says, when he wants O'Reilly to win the NXT title.

Quite the entrance-gear on Escobar. Metalik with a good showing. Wow, if that apron botch was not planned, Escobar's improvisation out of that spot was really good! If Escobar ever gets to face someone I actually care about, it's gonna rock, because he is REALLY good! I'm not sure who that could be, though? Hey, stop messing with Metalik's mask! Big win for Legado, once again!

The badass women pump up before the match, and Xia Li is next! Ok, add another one to the badass women, alright! Well, if she wouldn't have won after all that brutality, she might as well have retired.

No Fight Pit? Oh, for fuck's sake! Well, Ripley vs Gonzales takes my mind off of that dissapointment. This could go either way, but it has to be Gonzales, right? Whoa, she fooled Rhea into thinking they were friends? That's uncalled for! Ripping the handcuffs off the chain-link? BADASS! Jesus that backdrop! Through the glass! Holy fuck! Yeah, nevermind the Fight Pit! Dakota Kai! I bet that's not the first time Rhea shoved someone into a locker! This is amazing! Oh no! Not this again! No, Gonzales wins! Yeah, she'll be the champ, yet!

Gargano broke the curse and is ready to celebrate, again! Barrett saying he's glad he never had to endure a last man standing match! You don't say! Considering he's pretty much made of glass, that would not have ended well! Celebration was good, but the missile straight to the dick was better! I called that one! Lumis with a silent "holla-holla, playa tag match" was good! The Garganos have pretty stellar record in mixed tag matches, tho! Lumis is better announcer than JR at this point, maybe JR should take some pointers. Big win for Kushida & Shotzi, bad day for Theory's junk!

Main event time. Balor hasn't been in the ring (or defended his title) in 3 months! I guess there have been NXT champions who have gone that long without title defenses, but that must have been years ago! Balor said he was gonna make Kyle suffer! Well, he's sure giving it a go! Intense match. I guess it was good that the Fight Pit was saved for later. Dynamite Kid pin for 2 off a superplex! Should have done the Steel Davey Richards on a Pole -spot right there! Tapout for the win. Balor retains. Dunne to challenge next, please!

Yeah, hell of a show! It may have been overshadowed by something else going on at the time, however!

• Like 1

I just wanted to briefly mention that both Meltzer and PWI confirmed that Rhea is being called up (unclear to which show) and that the Raquel loss was her blowoff

On 1/7/2021 at 10:38 AM, RIPPA said:

That brings the teams to...

• Undisputed Era (Adam Cole & Roderick Strong)
  • Ever-Rise (Chase Parker & Matt Martel)
  • Breezango (Tyler Breeze & Fandango)
  • Curt Stallion & August Grey
  • Killian Dain & Drake Maverick
  • Imperium (Marcel Barthel & Fabian Aichner)
  • The Grizzled Young Veterans (Zack Gibson & James Drake)
  • Legado Del Fantasma (Raul Mendoza & Joaquin Wilde)
  • Johnny Gargano & Austin Theory
  • Isaiah "Swerve" Scott & Jake Atlas

So that's 10 so far so either they will go to 12 with byes or 16 total

They have added KUSHIDA/Leon Ruff and The Bollywood Boyz

2 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I really figured the Bollywood Boyz were released.  I don't think I've seen either one of them since shortly after Jinder's title run.

It was a combination of one of them got hurt and then when COVID hit - they couldn't get back into the States (since they live in Canada)

They probably only started working again like August or Sept (and most of their stuff has been on 205 Live)