DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

I enjoyed the latest Shingo vs ZSJ. Power Struggle 2021 was a good show.

I hope in the future, NJPW molds some of their rookies and future rookies into other styles, the likes of Choshuism, brawler style, kicker, shooter, hybrids and more etc. 

• Like 2

Anyway this blog post explains further Baba vs Inoki ways. 

http://puroprogramtranslations.blogspot.com/2021/10/noah-theme-of-pro-wrestling-noah.html

Also AJPW catchphrase and motto since 1989 and still to this day is 明るく、楽しく、激しいプロレス or in English, Bright, Fun, and Intense Wrestling. Before it was the Dark-Wrestling of AJPW 80's, with ringouts and fouls and DQ.

download.jpg

Someday I should explain Inoki and other old NJPW elements and stuff.

Edited by D.Z

20 hours ago, D.Z said:

I hope in the future, NJPW molds some of their rookies and future rookies into other styles, the likes of Choshuism, brawler style, kicker, shooter, hybrids and more etc. 

It really seems like the Dragon System / Mutoh-ism won out, with Tanahashi and to a lesser extent SANADA being the obvious modern bearers. I wanted EVIL to be the guy to pick up the Choshuism reigns from Kojima. There's no obvious True Strong Stylist to carry on the Inoki -> Hashimoto -> Nakamura lineage, save for whatever drops of it Shibata's imparting out in Cali.

Actually, now that I think about it, the real patriarch of the modern NJPW house style is Animal Hamaguchi.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

5 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It really seems like the Dragon System / Mutoh-ism won out, with Tanahashi and to a lesser extent SANADA being the obvious modern bearers. I wanted EVIL to be the guy to pick up the Choshuism reigns from Kojima. There's no obvious True Strong Stylist to carry on the Inoki -> Hashimoto -> Nakamura lineage, save for whatever drops of it Shibata's imparting out in Cali.

Actually, now that I think about it, the real patriarch of the modern NJPW house style is Animal Hamaguchi.

Some styles, isms and elements died out in NJPW like real Gotch-ism. Also some elements got introduced in the 90's and then died out later for example.  We also have to keep in mind they're all variants of Strong Style, even Choshu would label his own style as his own version of the Strong Style, World Japan used a variant name of Strong Style with extra words added, but I don't recall what it was.

There’s a Tenryu vs Omori match from World Japan that I remember being inexplicably great. Maybe the last really good Omori singles match. It’ll make your eyes jiggle but otherwise stay in place.

Edit: there’s apparently a Omori/Kento match I haven’t seen that’s much more recent and highly regarded, so maybe I should track that down.

Edited by Control

This site is basically is my news blog at this point. However nowhere as dead as SSS/Puroresufan in the final years.

GHC HW and GHC National Double Crown match this month. Match could still end up with no winner like the last time.

Spoiler

20211113-00026830-bbmv-000-1-view.jpg?ex

211113_noah_ghc_m1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

njpwann.png

NJPW president Takami Ohbari made a series of announcements prior to today's Best of the Super Juniors event at Korakuen Hall, including a 50th anniversary tour and museum exhibit. 

The anniversary tour will hit Sendai on February 11, 2022, Osaka on February 13, two nights in Hokkaido on February 19 and February 20, then two nights in the Nippon Budokan on March 1 and March 2. 

The NJPW-ism exhibit will run from February 11 to February 27, 2022 at the Tokyo Dome City Gallery AaMo. The exhibit will feature artifacts and items from NJPW history. A pair of Andre the Giant's boots and an autographed Andre hand print were presented as examples of what fans can expect at the museum. 

Ohbari also announced that the January tour will be called New Year's Golden Series, a throwback to a tour name used throughout the 1970s and 1980s. 

Additionally, NJPW will be partnering with 50 different manufacturers to produce new merchandise, with the first presented examples being gaming chairs produced by Contleaks and golf bags made by M.I.N.D.

---

Hopefully NJPW's 50th Anniversary is as great as the 40th was.

• Like 2

Jun Kasai vs Daisuke Masaoka from Freedoms was an incredible death match. I hope it can get some more attention, I thought it was just a great match, one of the ones to transcend the style. Still incredibly violent. 

Spoiler

Violento Jack vs Jun Kasai will be brilliant at the rate they both are on. 

Jun Akiyama wants to scout and train a bigger man from scratch for DDT, he is doing all the coaching for the younger players, regardless if they were already fully trained too. 

Also both DDT and Jun Akiyama will celebrate their own anniversaries next year, 25 years of DDT and 30 years of Jun, so special DDT Jun show.

Jun was ready to quit being active before going to DDT.