DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

50 years of NJPW/AJPW next year. I'm not sure if both will do another joint show like the 40th show, NJPW is a big major these days while AJPW over the years comfortably became a "small scale organization".  However AJPW is still watched by more on Gaora TV over the many other smaller feds and still pays better outside of CyberAgent. Media wise AJPW still gets lot of attention on  combined multiple sites than any other fed not NJPW in Japan.

Probably just NJPW offer tag match at the big AJPW show next year and whatever else smaller stuff they could book with NJPW. 

• Like 1

That IWGP IC belt was so pretty. Damn New Japan for getting rid of it

Watched The Gate of Destiny this morning & gotta say, bit of a bummer of a show considering it's Dragongate & their big 5 events are usually reliably good. And in fairness, nothing actually bad here, well, I thought the Dream Gate match with YAMATO vs Hulk was pretty flat even before the weird ending but even that wasn't bad so much as just underwhelming, despite knowing that Hulk is obviously cooked at this point, his body is hurting bad. But the YAMATO title run is not doing a lot for me: I thought it was weird that he was the guy to dethrone Shun back at Kobe World Hall & still feel that way after 2 defences. You can't convince me that Kobe World wasn't Kzy Time.

On a more positive note, the Twin Gate match with KING Shimizu & Susumu Yokosuka against the Kongo duo of Kenoh & Haoh was good fun pro wrestling, & the Masquerade vs RED 8 man tag was another one of those matches, always reliable, of the groups to come out of the end of the 2020 generation army Masquerade are head & shoulders the stars (& I say that as someone who loves Natural Vibes). I'm salivating at the potential for GHC Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champions Kota Minoura & Jason Lee come Friday's Korakuen Hall show (though probably NOSAWA & Eita don't drop the belts this quickly, they should, Lee & Minoura should be seen by as many people as possible, up there with Astronauts for one of my most enjoyable tag teams of the present)

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 7:08 PM, D.Z said:

50 years of NJPW/AJPW next year. I'm not sure if both will do another joint show like the 40th show, NJPW is a big major these days while AJPW over the years comfortably became a "small scale organization".  However AJPW is still watched by more on Gaora TV over the many other smaller feds and still pays better outside of CyberAgent. Media wise AJPW still gets lot of attention on  combined multiple sites than any other fed not NJPW in Japan.

Probably just NJPW offer tag match at the big AJPW show next year and whatever else smaller stuff they could book with NJPW. 

The 40th Anniversary was an amazing year for NJPW. What a way to mark it with Kazuchika Okada's rise from excursion, cleanly beating Hiroshi Tanahashi for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, his ***** match with Tetsuya Naito on the actual 40th anniversary show, his ***** with Tanahashi at Dominion and Tanahashi vs. Suzuki at King of Pro-Wrestling, a unique match I gave ***** to and the worldwide MOTY.

• Like 1

Any news on Tetsuya Naito? Naito injured his knee in the opening night of G1 Climax 31 vs. Zack Sabre Jr and had to forfeit the rest of the tournament. No timeframe given unlike two months for Kota Ibushi's dislocated shoulder in the Final vs. Kazuchika Okada. Doesn't bode well for Naito.

Edited by The Natural

Assorted Puroresu news:

Gleat wrestler Kaz is expected to hang around in AJPW 50th year, he helped trained many Mutoh AJPW Era guys. 

Fujinami wants Riki Choshu to come out of retirement for one match. Riki retired back in 2019.

NJPW news:

Khan would like to turn the KOPW into more different martial art styles fights and other gimmick matches, and agreed with Okada with that the KOPW is about returning to the true NJPW. It was more of an old NJPW thing to do gimmick matches, while Baba's Royal Road mostly stressed PWF or regular rules. KOPW further breaks up the mostly regular wrestling matches NJPW did last decade.

Khan said both the amateur wrestling and martial arts can show the true Strong Style.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 4:41 PM, Ramo2653 said:

As far as Gotoh goes, if Nakanishi and Makabe got runs, then there's hope but it would take some work. At this point, he's that what, 3rd or 4th HW in his faction?

Curious to see how crowds being able to cheer again will affect crowds.

Goto is best used in a tag team with somebody that isn't Yoshi-Hashi.

To me I don't think Gotoh, Sanada, Suzuki, Ishii will get runs with the IWGP World. Manabu Nakanishi only won the IWGP HW because something happened to Tana. And then it was hot shotted back.

But in some alt world, Manabu Nakanishi would be multiple IWGP HW champ along with Osamu Nishimura if the "dark ages" never happened. 

Edited by D.Z

Taichi truly is the Champion we deserve.

I'm trying to find a way to rip the match from the AJPW TV site because I'm a doddering fool, & if I can I will upload it, but I wanna shout out a match on a smaller All Japan show that is real good fun. 22nd October in Kawasaki, it wasn't even live streamed but uploaded later as a VOD, but we had current AJPW Tag Champions Runaway SUPLEX (Ashino & Suwama) against Suwama's stablemates Hikaru Sato & Dan Tamura. In theory, co-main of a pretty small show, you don't expect much, but Hikaru Sato comes in here pissed & he lights up Ashino with strikes, & tries to rip limbs off with submission attempts. And so in response the heavyweights hold nothing back with lariats & all manner of suplexes & it gets brutal.

Far better than you'd expect from a co-main of a spot show in front of 200 people.

• Like 3

NJPW

The briefcase seems done away with, which is a semi reversion to no G-1 briefcase gimmick, only defending the paper certificate to challenge at WK remains. There is no IC belt like the old days before it existed. The NJC cup only allows title shot to challenge for the new IWGP world black belt, just like when only the IWGP HW existed.  

What other stuff NJPW could bring back from the past or revert something backwards?  Won't be everything, however.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 8:51 PM, D.Z said:

To me I don't think Gotoh, Sanada, Suzuki, Ishii will get runs with the IWGP World. Manabu Nakanishi only won the IWGP HW because something happened to Tana. And then it was hot shotted back.

But in some alt world, Manabu Nakanishi would be multiple IWGP HW champ along with Osamu Nishimura if the "dark ages" never happened. 

I don't either even though Minoru Suzuki and Tomohiro Ishii definitely should do. I might even give a very brief one to the nearly man, Hirooki Goto. I think SANADA sucks and EVIL's even worse. Stunned he won the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and IWGP Intercontinental Championship from Tetsuya Naito. I strongly feel that was meant to be Jay White but coronavirus pandemic fucked the world.

• Like 1

Shingo has a Ultra C plan, he aims to return the 4th Gen IWGP HW to Inoki just in time for the 50th. Reminds me of something Fujinami said about returning the IWGP HW back to Inoki during when IGF existed, except this would just be the 4th Gen belt being returned.

It's just ceremonial in retiring. Still doesn't mean Shingo goal will happen. Okada and Kota have their own goals.

People in or from Japan either don't mind whats going on with the titles or want it done away with already. Western people think the IWGP HW will be restored, but Okada said it basically won't in his own ways. The 4th gen IWGP HW belt is just being used for both the G 1 championship and certificate.

• Like 1