DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

I only really expect Okada's G 1 Championship/4th IWGP HW to stay around until the last planned WK show next year. Until then I will count the defenses of this unsanctioned title certificate belt. First up is Okada vs Tama Tonga for the belt and IWGP World HW title shot rights. Tama said he would like to win the belt.

20211024-03746197-tospoweb-000-5-view.jp

Edited by D.Z

12 hours ago, Souder85 said:

Is there any place online to watch 2AW? I see the results on purolove and the shows look interesting to me. 

Also I've subbed to GLEAT's YouTube channel. What shows are worth checking out?

2AW haven't had much show up online in the usual places since Yoshida dropped the Openweight Title months ago. So subbing to Nico Pro is the only option & a) the service isn't great at actually surfacing when shows will air & b) I can't really justify that expense right now. Don't think I've seen any of Taishi Takizawa's reign & it's unfortunate. 

The GLEAT stuff, watch GLEAT Ver.1 from July 1st, it really shows both the UWF & G Prowrestling sides of the promotion. I'd also say Lidet UWF VER.0 & Ver.1 are great shows because I love that side of things. And there's some real fun individual matches uploaded, like Takuya Nomura from BJW vs Yu Iizuka. I'd need to think before recommending one or two G Prowrestling events though they are all totally enjoyable.

I checked my spreadsheet & G Pro Wrestling Ver.2 has 2 matches I really liked, with Tamura vs Kawakami & Lindaman & T-Hawk vs Ito & Iizuka & there's also a Masato Tanaka vs Soma Watanabe match which was cool. Ver.3 had the first teaming of Tamura & Kawakami (what became the wonderful BULK ORCHESTRA) against Lindaman & T-Hawk & another good tag team match with Ayato Yoshida & Ito vs Jun Tonsho & Shigehiro Irie. Ver.6 had Tamura vs T-Hawk, Lindaman vs Kawakami & a fun non-UWF rules Ito vs Iizuka match. And I'd also say Ver.7 is worth watching.

But to be honest I don't think you'd think you wasted your time if you enjoy those recommendations & then just watch their other stuff, most of the events clock in under 2 hours, they are really tight experiences.

Edited by Kropotkin's Beard
  • Like 1

AJPW has 20 wrestlers, even with Zeus leaving soon. Next year we will find out who they will hire.

In who will be the top 4 for the early part of this new decade.. Jake Lee, Kento, Suwama (the strongest) and Yuma will be. I don't really think Nomura will come back, and if he does.. he would probably have to change up how he works. In some alt universe Nomura is the Ace and Jake probably would been no 4 under,  if Jun was still the booker.

I don't think Shuji will ever win the TC again, and Yoshi is just a challenger. 

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 7:52 PM, Control said:

Yoshida as a heel is different.

Wonder if All Japan will treat Irie any more seriously.

Well, Irie beat Ishikawa in a singles match today and picked up the GAORA TV title. Not exactly a prestigious belt, but it’s coming off of Shuji’s run, which was at least an attempt to elevate it.

It's a secondary belt for the "upper midcard" HW ranked guys now. Some of these men like Irie, Jun Kasai are bigger deals elsewhere.

In the Mutoh Era AJP, it was supposed to be for younger guys and midcarders.

• Like 1

Looking at a GIF just posted by @D.Z involving Hirooki Goto, he was the Japanese Lex Luger but worse. While Luger eventually won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, Goto never became IWGP Heavyweight Championship and I don't think they'll give him a token reign either.

Well the IWGP HW is done, the IWGP World HW is another story. Even if they did give him a run to match Manabu, it would be a no defense run. But a healthier Shibata over Suzuki, Ishii, Sanada, Gotoh, is the only likely "native" man of those who could win the IWGP World HW in the future. I think they grandfathered out those other guys from winning.

Suzuki and Gotoh (2 times for Gotoh) both did win the IWGP IC, and they are part of the IWGP World's dual lineage IC wise.

• Like 2

To me Kota Ibushi winning the Double Crown and creating the IWGP World allows natives who do Martial Art strikes in abling again to win the tope title. They shunted away Nakamura, Gotoh, and Shibata from winning the IWGP HW last decade. All those guys would been bigger deals in other periods of NJPW. Plus Gotoh would had been a bigger deal if Okada wasn't super pushed. But as the No.4 guy instead of Number 1 like Okada, Gotoh used to be one of the "4 Heroes"

In news for Japan and crowds, I forgot that it was announced that 50 percent of venue capacity is ok again. Along with shouting and cheering again as long as it's 50 percent full, shouting and cheering will be decided on a case by case basis for any promotion 

• Like 2

As far as Gotoh goes, if Nakanishi and Makabe got runs, then there's hope but it would take some work. At this point, he's that what, 3rd or 4th HW in his faction?

Curious to see how crowds being able to cheer again will affect crowds.

Zack said, "It doesn't matter if fans hate the loss of the old belt. Takagi is the real champion and my concern. That's it. Other than that, the kids are just playing with toys like idiots. "

He went on to name his form of Stong Style ポスト・ストロングスタイル, Post-Strong Style and mentioned, Shibata, Brian Danielson and.. Bob Sapp...as people he wants to defend against as Champ if he wins.

He also would like to make the IWGP tag belts like the 90's again, more bigger names challenging for the belts. And both HW singles and tags using more some of the same grouping of wrestlers.

Lately there has been a trend again like in it was in NJPW 90's to refer each style as their own Strong Style again. Khan called his own and Evil's different Strong Styles. The clash of the styles.

• Like 1

Still rewatch Tetsuya Naito's Wrestle Kingdom 12 entrance. I'd say this was Naito at his hottest. Just listen to that crowd. Everybody thought Naito was beating Kazuchika Okada for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship here but Gedo stuck with Okada. That reign was the longest in the belt's history at 720 days with the most defences, 12. Okada lost it to Kenny Omega at Dominion 2018, two out of three falls in a ***** match.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, Control said:

would be cool to see Jacob Fatu in AJPW. Don’t really know the MLW roster.

Weren't MLW meant to have a deal with Dragon Gate? Which came to nothing because Pandemic. I do not understand that company at all. They could book peak Okada vs Tanahashi, have it watched by a couple of hundred people & get *** out of them.. But somehow MLW persists, despite this being true of both the current iteration & the original one, where they seemed to exist to book the same matches ROH ran but somehow they always lacked something.

Oh well, good chance for Aoyagi anyway.

Edited by Kropotkin's Beard

58 minutes ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Weren't MLW meant to have a deal with Dragon Gate? Which came to nothing because Pandemic. I do not understand that company at all. They could book peak Okada vs Tanahashi, have it watched by a couple of hundred people & get *** out of them.. But somehow MLW persists, despite this being true of both the current iteration & the original one, where they seemed to exist to book the same matches ROH ran but somehow they always lacked something.

Oh well, good chance for Aoyagi anyway.

Kento Miyahara vs Jacob Fatu would be balls out.