DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

Want to shout out All Japan. I really got mad at AJPW last year, the booking was all over the place, but this year it has been a very funny promotion to follow.

Was watching the show from the 9th, not anything major for them, but there was nothing bad on there. There was solid performances from all their younger guys (The Saito Twins had their best ever outing against Takao Omori & Mensore, Honda was in a real good All Asia Tag match with Iwamoto against the Stronghearts team of Lindaman & T-Hawk, Tsukamoto had a Singles match with Koji Doi that was solid and the slightly older guys Tamura, Omori & Atsuki Aoyagi were all in solid fun multiman action with their factions), main event between Ishikawa & Sekimoto wasn't at the level of their 2015 madness but was still plenty exciting despite age & wear & tear.

Meantime a NEXTREAM vs Total Eclipse 6 Man setup the upcoming Triple Crown match between Lee & Kento. The only minor complaint was they booked Fuminori Abe & Ryuji Hijikata and then put them against Yoshitatsu and friend, because Yoshitatsu has decided he's a shooter now. Anyway, the match was entirely a comedy match built around Munenori Sawa in Abe's corner getting his suit slowly ripped apart. But that's it as far as complaining goes.

If Naoya Nomura ever recovers from injury then I feel real happy with All Japan 

• Like 1

NJPW:

Looks like there may be a war inside of Bullet club someday between Evil's and Jay's faction. Jay isn't happy that House of Torture  exists and that Sho joined.

DDT:

DAMNATION TA is formed. Junretsu disbanded.

11 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

If Naoya Nomura ever recovers from injury then I feel real happy with All Japan 

That’s the dream. The list of guys who come back from injury after 2+ years  has to be pretty short.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Control said:

That’s the dream. The list of guys who come back from injury after 2+ years  has to be pretty short.

Yeah, I try not to think about that part. He was so good

In more positive news, 2 GAORA TV Title defences in the one month!

Ishikawa vs Irie is going to be good. But then so will the Aoyagi Boys against Zeus & Izanagi.

3 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Yeah, I try not to think about that part. He was so good

In more positive news, 2 GAORA TV Title defences in the one month!

Ishikawa vs Irie is going to be good. But then so will the Aoyagi Boys against Zeus & Izanagi.

You mean against STRONGHEARTS?

I like how everyone gets to treat the TV title differently. It’s been the Jun vs Indie Guys title, the Yoshitatsu Fantasy Booking title, and now Shuji is treating it like a legit intercontinental belt.

On charts for NJPW in Japan, the Never OW title is listed as most important singles title after the IWGP World HW. The "Real" IWGP World HW held by Will isn't officially a NJPW title.

I can't guarantee in the future if NJPW won't seal away certain belts. Belt sealing is when a champion wins another title and seals only the lineage(both the history and records ends) of that other title into his main title, and retires that other title he just won.

• Thanks 1

AJPW

Spoilers? We dont need no stinkin' spoilers box... for the Triple Crown:

Jake Lee (Champion) vs Kento Miyahara went to a time limit draw (60:00), yes time limit draw in 2021. Anyway it establishes Jake as Tajiri's Ace of AJPW.

Kento didn't pin Jake, so enjoy working in the backstage Kento.

Edited by D.Z

It’s wild to me how 1990s Kyohei Wada is my favourite ref of all time and 21st century Wada is my least favourite.

He was always intrusive, but it used to be an intrusiveness that added to the drama instead of distracting from it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Hopefully he will at least still be a part-timer with AJPW, he's always good for some big matches every year.

Actual AJPW show thoughts, undercard was a bit slow and interminable at times, but the 6 Man Tag Title match was the start of things picking up, the RWTL preview was solid, Jr Title was real good, Tag Title match was great & the main was even better.

Do wish Wada would retire, or at least stick to reffing meaningless matches, he actively subtracted from Lee Miyahara with his glacial counts. Nikkan Lee needs to be in charge of the big matches 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Zeus leaving saves AJPW contract money. Zeus said he would like AJPW to work alongside with Osaka Pro.

In NJPW news:

Kota won the A block!  So Kota vs Okada or Cobb in the Finals.

Having watched the first 8 shows so far I am deeply confused as to how they get from ZSJ's hot start to Ibushi winning the block in a way that doesn't totally waste Zack taking wins from Ibushi, Naito & Takagi.

8 hours ago, Jiji said:

Obviously, we are all freaking out about this over here. I can now confirm, straight from the horse's mouth, it's true.

You can't imagine how happy this makes me.

I really hope he will work with Dotonbouri Pro (Kuuga) and Colega (Bodyguard) 

I super-duper hope he runs the old Delfin/Dotonbouri/Minami Move On Arena. That was the greatest place in the world to watch wrestling, drink, and have fun.

314717_10150404306025358_2123919938_n.jp

245292708_4811420045536284_2320588024286

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Having watched the first 8 shows so far I am deeply confused as to how they get from ZSJ's hot start to Ibushi winning the block in a way that doesn't totally waste Zack taking wins from Ibushi, Naito & Takagi.

Spoiler

They don't.

11 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Actual AJPW show thoughts, undercard was a bit slow and interminable at times, but the 6 Man Tag Title match was the start of things picking up, the RWTL preview was solid, Jr Title was real good, Tag Title match was great & the main was even better.

I dunno if or when I’ll have time to watch a 60 minute match, but I’m super intrigued by the Cagematch rankings, which are almost exclusively 10s and 1s.

On 9/21/2021 at 11:03 AM, D.Z said:

2021 World's Strongest Tag Decision League. 16 teams in first 4-block system.

E_zIHgvUcAMQ3s2?format=jpg&name=small

The traditional thing is for someone to pin the TC champ in the tag league and then challenge in January. Which means, based on these brackets, that the next Triple Crown contender is Abdullah Kobayashi!