DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

On 9/29/2021 at 6:21 PM, Control said:

Ok guys what is the best Arashi match? With stints in AJPW, SWS, WAR, and BJ, he’s gotta have a few memorable outings.

He had a Fire Festival match with Ohtani in 2003 that went almost 15 mins and that I remember liking. He also had a couple really fun sprints with Kawada, one of which I've linked below (the other was from a TV taping in like late 2001 which I doubt is uploaded anywhere). Finally I recall his tag title run with Mutoh actually being pretty fun. They had good title matches vs TAKA and Gigantes/the Wall and vs D'Lo and Buchanan during the ROD era. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had vague recollections of watching this match the first time it aired back in the day, and I always remembered it for the weird reaction Orihara got from the crowd (and his opponents). Does anyone have any background on this match? Something about Orihara just seems... off. Was this just because he wasn't a New Japan guy?

https://biqle.com/watch/-190393047_456239625

Really dug the Nakanoue vs Nomura BJW Strong Title Match from the 20th September. And the Okami match, their Tag Title run has been good thus far.

The main event Scaffold Death Match between Miyamoto & Ito? Fine I guess. They built it up on the SamuraiTV well enough but still pretty inessential. Numazawa & Kasai vs Parker & Ishikawa was a decent death match & I'd say exceeded expectations even if Jaki should really be restricted to opening matches.

• Like 1

I keep forgetting about this but Kyushu Pro has been putting out a live youtube show on the first Monday of every month since April called Monday Night Vai. The next show is on October 4th 7:00 JST and is the first round in their "Glocal Tag Tournament"

Their main youtube channel is here.

You can see most of the Monday Night Vai's here.

The Glocal Tag Tournament is sort of following what has been happening throughout the Monday Night Vais: Wrestlers from other promotions have been coming in taking on the Kyushu Pro wrestlers. Dragon Gate, 2AW, Michinoku Pro, Osaka Pro and Ryukyu Dragon Pro all have reps in the tournament which will be the focus of the next three Monday Night Vais.

12 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Really dug the Nakanoue vs Nomura BJW Strong Title Match from the 20th September. And the Okami match, their Tag Title run has been good thus far.

The main event Scaffold Death Match between Miyamoto & Ito? Fine I guess. They built it up on the SamuraiTV well enough but still pretty inessential. Numazawa & Kasai vs Parker & Ishikawa was a decent death match & I'd say exceeded expectations even if Jaki should really be restricted to opening matches.

Miyamto vs Ito felt like nothing new. I recently rewatched their scaffold match from Death Mania 3, it was more fresh then. Almost felt bad as Miyamoto hits a moonsault off a scaffold and it meant nothing to me.  I am not really enjoying the slow build to Miyamoto vs Kodaka, I'm sure it'll be fine but Freedoms is blowing BJW's DM scene away. More exciting match ups and better in ring. 

Nomura should get a good run with the title. The Strong division feels like it is carrying BJW right now. Nakanoue's reign was excellent but it was Nomura's time. 

• Like 1

Is there any way to see Dotonbori Pro online? I mean, who could pass up this boss fight?

Strongest Tag King Tournament 2021 Semi Final Match

Magnitude Kishiwada & The Bodyguard defeat Kazuaki Mihara & Shigehiro Irie (20:29)

Edited by Control
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Control said:

Is there any way to see Dotonbori Pro online? I mean, who could pass up this boss fight?

Strongest Tag King Tournament 2021 Semi Final Match

Magnitude Kishiwada & The Bodyguard defeat Kazuaki Mihara & Shigehiro Irie (20:29)

Looks like you can buy it on Twitcasting but 3,000¥ seems a lot to me

https://twitcasting.tv/doutonbori_pw/shopcart/101013

• Thanks 1

Yohei Nakajima has been Black Menso~re for...a long time now. Is this character really that over? I thought he was pretty damn good as regular ol'.Yohei Nakajima and had a lot more potential to move up the card without the silly gimmick. Reminds me of how Akira Raijin was actually real good until they kept repackaging him under different gimmicks (KIYOSHI and, ultimately, SUSHI...). 

8 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Yohei Nakajima has been Black Menso~re for...a long time now. Is this character really that over? I thought he was pretty damn good as regular ol'.Yohei Nakajima and had a lot more potential to move up the card without the silly gimmick. Reminds me of how Akira Raijin was actually real good until they kept repackaging him under different gimmicks (KIYOSHI and, ultimately, SUSHI...). 

Looks like it’s been just over three years. He took up the mantle in 2018 because Black Tiger (Nosawa) wanted a more evil tag partner. 

The gimmick was quickly much more popular than Yohei unmasked, but I think a straight year or more of Takao Omori comedy matches has chilled him quite a bit.

• Like 1

NJPW:

These 7 men from B block are eliminated from winning this year G-1, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto, Yoshi-Hashi, Sanada, Taichi, Tama Tonga, Chase Owens. Okada and Cobb and Evil still have chances of winning the B Block.

A Block has 7 men still in contention to win that block.

Edited by D.Z

Noah news:

Maybe Nakajima vs Go at the Budokan. Nakajima said he was NOAH, that's Go's gimmick.

Just stuff:

I am looking forward to fuller crowds coming back, not because of crowd reactions but because of better ticket sales and more merch sold and the several promotions being better off again financially.

Certain promotions like BJPW aren't going bankrupt yet because they can collect debt and be in the red for more years until resetting to new ltds.

There were 3,083 bankruptcies in Japan during the first half of 2021, a notable drop from the same period the previous year and is the lowest ever recorded since 2000.