DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

Watched my first DDT show, since the King of DDT tournament yesterday. This was a very good show with a lot of the things I like about DDT and only few of the things I dislike. Don't sleep on Takeshita vs. Brookes, one of the best wrestling matches I've seen this year.

I hope they start thinking about English commentary with the launch of the new Wrestle Universe in October. I think DDT would benefit even more of English commentary than NOAH.

Some thoughts on today's amusing NOAH results: 

Spoiler

- I like how in Ka Shin, in the year TWENTY TWENTY ONE, is still doing bullshit countout jobs instead of losing clean

- alternately, nice to see Fujita puts up less of a fight about getting pinned these days

- Mutoh doing 30 minute broadways during his last few Carny appearances (in, like, 2007) was always cause for concern. Sewing that he's still doing them in his 60s is alarming. God bless him I guess. 

Japan is sort of lifting the (latest) state of emergency that started during July. It will still be up to the prefectures to decide what they want to do but the major event cap will be probably be raised to 10,000 or 50 percent capacity.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210928/p2g/00m/0na/037000c

In terms of vaccination, they are currently at 69 percent of adults with one shot and 58 percent fully vaccinated (Yamaguchi is at 74 and 67 respectively).

• Like 3

By "Hustle nostalgia" I hope you mean Erotic Terrorist Yinling will have appear and give birth to another Sumo egg as Kawada sings... oh... I dunno... "GET WILD!" in his yellow Bruce Lee track suit or some shit...

James

• Like 2

On 9/26/2021 at 2:00 PM, Control said:

Remember when Arashi got fired from AJPW for pot possession?

Didn't he do a jail stint for this too? I remember thinking him and Yasuda should have just rolled (pun intended) with the scandal and toured the indies as the pothead/degenerate gambler heel tag team. 

8 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Didn't he do a jail stint for this too? I remember thinking him and Yasuda should have just rolled (pun intended) with the scandal and toured the indies as the pothead/degenerate gambler heel tag team. 

He went to jail for about a year if I recall correctly.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Control said:

Ok guys what is the best Arashi match? With stints in AJPW, SWS, WAR, and BJ, he’s gotta have a few memorable outings.

I covered a bunch (everything on tape including a new HH of his January 1990 feud with Tenryu and loved most of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, from what I've seen it's Tenryu beating the piss out of him. Goes into SWS in '90 IIRC. Think there's a referee stoppage in a tag where Tenryu and his partner get tired of taking turns beating the fuck out of Arashi. 

Yep, found it:

Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa vs. Yoshiaki Yatsu & Isao Takagi (SWS 9/9/90)

• Thanks 1

D-Ou Grand Prix 2021 II. From dramaticddt.wordpress

A Block

Jun Akiyama (2nd Appearance, 2021 Winner)
Tetsuya Endo (5th Appearance)
Yuki Ueno (3rd Appearance)
Naomi Yoshimura (2nd Appearance)
Yuji Hino (1st Appearance)
Bodyguard (1st Appearance)

B Block

Konosuke Takeshita (5th Appearance, 2019 Winner)
HARASHIMA (5th Appearance)
Kazusada Higuchi (4th Appearance)
Chris Brookes (3rd Appearance)
MAO (3rd Appearance)
Yuji Okabayashi (1st Appearance)

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

Years ago, Kidani wanted NOAH as another brand, but now instead Stardom is their secondary Japanese brand.

The western NJPW brand was another idea, that later came to fruition in reality. The remaining other NJPW brand idea was B brand of NJPW in Japan. Which hasn't happened yet.

Edited by D.Z

4 hours ago, D.Z said:

D-Ou Grand Prix 2021 II. From dramaticddt.wordpress

A Block

Jun Akiyama (2nd Appearance, 2021 Winner)
Tetsuya Endo (5th Appearance)
Yuki Ueno (3rd Appearance)
Naomi Yoshimura (2nd Appearance)
Yuji Hino (1st Appearance)
Bodyguard (1st Appearance)

B Block

Konosuke Takeshita (5th Appearance, 2019 Winner)
HARASHIMA (5th Appearance)
Kazusada Higuchi (4th Appearance)
Chris Brookes (3rd Appearance)
MAO (3rd Appearance)
Yuji Okabayashi (1st Appearance)

BODYGAAAAAH~!

• Like 2

And you can watch for free. Three trial months until January. Hell yeah. I thought the old universe had most if not all of their backlog up? Searching for Generico he's only got 4 matches. 

17 minutes ago, Jiji said:
And you can watch for free. Three trial months until January. Hell yeah. I thought the old universe had most if not all of their backlog up? Searching for Generico he's only got 4 matches. 

They only have around 2.000 of 8.000 videos that were on the old Wrestle Universe up on the new Wrestle Universe so far, but they plan to re-upload everything to the new WU eventually.

• Thanks 1