DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

On 8/28/2021 at 3:43 PM, Control said:

This GLEAT card looks swell:

Glad Ayato Yoshida is getting so much work outside of 2AW. Dude is too talented to be wrestling in front of 86 people.

I really got into 2AW during the pandemic when there were few companies running last April. I quite like their roster for what it is but they've become hard to follow this summer. So I'll definitely settle for Yoshida wrestling more in All Japan & GLEAT.

Oudou Tournament spoilers: 

Spoiler

Glad Suwama got the win. As I stated above, he really should have had an automatic bye to the quarters or even the semis given that he was forced to drop the title for so short an absence...but then if I was booking it we would be having Suwama vs Jake in a ladder match with Jake's new TC and Suwama's old TC both suspended above a la Razor and Shawn at WM 10.

Anyway, this makes 3 Oudou Tournament wins for Suwama, which is great because he is the best and somehow still only has 1 Carny win to his name, despite a few years where he went to the finals and really *should have won* (over Kea in 2012 and certainly over Akebono in 2015). These results would also seem to pretty strongly suggest we're getting Jake vs Ashino again before Jake's reign is over, and I'd wager there's a good chance of Ashino winning the Carny come April. 

The Japan Wrestling Hall of Fame that got established last year is holding a two-day show at Korakuen Hall on September 14th & 15th to celebrate the 70th anniversary of pro-wrestling in Japan. The cards got announced today and the lineup is... pretty wild.

Spoiler

14th September:

1. 2AW Offer: Taishi Takizawa/Kengo Mashimo vs Ayato Yoshida/Kotaro Yoshino
  2. NOAH-provided match: Naomichi Marufuji/Junta Miyawaki vs Kinya Okada/Yasutaka Yano
  3. Big Japan-provided match: Daisuke Sekimoto/Yuji Okabayashi/Yasufumi Nakanoue vs Daichi Hashimoto/Hideyoshi Kamitani/Yuya Aoki
  4. Michinoku Pro Offer: MUSASHI/Koji Kawamura vs Rui Hyugaji/Taro Nohashi
  5. New Japan-provided match: Yuji Nagata/Ryusuke Taguchi vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan/Master Wato
  6. Battle Royale: Ryuichi Kawakami (GLEAT), Onryo (666), "brother" YASSHI (Dove Pro), Gurukun Mask (Ryukyu Dragon Pro Wrestling), Shota (Ganbare ☆ Pro Wrestling), Masao Inoue (Free), TORU (TTT Pro Wrestling), Masayuki Kono (free), Yutaka Yoshie (free), Atsuki Aoyagi (AJPW), Shoki Kitamura (ZERO1), Masaaki Mochizuki (DRAGON GATE), Yuki Iino (DDT), Tiger Toguchi, Isami Kodaka, Yuki Ishikawa, Ren Ayabe
  7. Hall of Fame Ceremony

15th September:

1. ZERO1-provided match: Shinjiro Otani/Shoki Kitamura vs Masato Tanaka/Takuya Sugawara
  2. DRAGON GATE-provided match: YAMATO/Dragon Kid/BEN-K vs KAI/SB KENTo/Diamante
  3. DDT-provided match: HARASHIMA/Naomi Yoshimura vs Yukio Naya/Hideki Okatani
  4. All Japan-provided match: Jake Lee/Hokuto Omori vs Suwama/Dan Tamura
  5. Japan Wrestling Hall of Fame-provided match: Tatsumi Fujinami/Shiro Koshinaka/Jinsei Shinzaki/Fuminori Abe vs Yoshiaki Fujiwara/AKIRA/Kohei Sato/Shigehiro Irie
  6. Battle Royale: Tetsuya Izuchi (HEAT-UP), Jun Kasai (Pro Wrestling FREEDOMS), Kuuga (Pro Wrestling Dotonbori), Hikaru Sato (Pancrase MISSION), LEONA (Dradition), FUJITA (Tokyo Gurentai), Masashi Takeda (Free), Shotaro Ashino (free), Tatsuhito Takaiwa (free), Kengo (free), Yuji Hino (ONLY WE), Kikutaro (free), Taro Nohashi (Michinoku Pro Wrestling), Hideyoshi Kamitani (Big Japan Wrestling), Ricky Fuji (2AW), BIG・THE・Ryokan (Niigata Wrestling), Keita Yano (Professional Wrestling Wallabee)

Edited by Men Dying Slow
  • Thanks 1

Fuminori Abe squaring up to old man Fujiwara has the potential to be very fun.

Big Japan not including Takuya Nomura among their offer match is a bit disappointing as he's routinely the best thing on their shows I check out.

My other standout thought is "curse you DDT for giving me ANOTHER Yukio Naya match that I will sit through despite grumbling"

Still looks like there should be fun stuff even some interpromotional interaction outside of the battle royales would have been fun. 2AW match should at least get some deserved eyes on them.

5 hours ago, Men Dying Slow said:

The Japan Wrestling Hall of Fame that got established last year is holding a two-day show at Korakuen Hall on September 14th & 15th to celebrate the 70th anniversary of pro-wrestling in Japan. The cards got announced today and the lineup is... pretty wild.

Do we know if these shows will be on NicoPro or SamuraiTV?

NJPW 

Shingo doesn't approve of Will's Real World title, and Shingo decided he will pay for repair damages for the IWGP World belt. I wonder in reality if they will replace the broken IWGP World with the unused sticking out domed globes version I posted in the belt thread.

Would mirror IWGP 2 gen crown getting it straps changed slowly in the 90's.

Edited by D.Z
  • Thanks 1

Once Will starts defending his version of the belt, it should be listed on sites. It will most likely not share the same records and history as of the IWGP World HW. 

Anyway soon news for G1 Climax 31 and which wrestlers will be in.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 8:23 PM, D.Z said:

Ayway soon news for G1 Climax 31 and which wrestlers will be in.

Going to be interesting to see the lineup for G1 Climax 31 as Minoru Suzuki/Jay White/Will Ospreay/Juice Robinson/Dave Finlay are out and will the Forbidden Door be open to outside talent which NJPW needs but didn't do last year. I think we'll get some announcements at Wrestle Grand Slam USA.

Title defences for AJPW’s next show announced:

Tag titles: NEXTREAM vs Suwama and Ashino

Junior: SUGI vs Atsuki Aoyagi

All Asia: Zeus and Black Menso vs T-Hawk and El Lindamen

Surprised they pulled the trigger on the Ashino/Suwama team so soon. Wonder if they’ll win, or lose, then maybe win the Tag League and win the rematch.

Strong hearts might as well take the All Asia titles.

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Going to be interesting to see the lineup for G1 Climax 31 as Minoru Suzuki/Jay White/Will Ospreay/Juice Robinson/Dave Finlay are out and will the Forbidden Door be open to outside talent which NJPW needs but didn't do last year. I think we'll get some announcements at Wrestle Grand Slam USA.

Unless the Forbidden Door is using AJPW, DDT, or NOAH guys, it's not going to be a thing and certainly won't help.

• Like 1

NJPW

Kidani wants to increase the amount of matches later on for cards, upward to 8 would be good. They would cut into other matches times if so. 

In Japan news, Japan's population is around half vaccinated now. 

Edited by D.Z

3 hours ago, D.Z said:

NJPW

World Tag League and Best of the Super Juniors will be held at the same time again this year.

Zero-1

Zero 1 accuses GLEAT of contract tampering.

Yeah, I see that Z1 is upset with them going after Hayato Tamura. I thought he was freelance?

18 minutes ago, Control said:

Yeah, I see that Z1 is upset with them going after Hayato Tamura. I thought he was freelance?

ZERO1 signed a memorandum of understanding with Alpha Japan Promotion – Tamura’s agency. Hayato Tamura breached it by trying to sign with GLEAT full time.

El Lindaman has been stripped of his titles he won in Zero 1 as well.

30 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

Miyamoto beating Drew Parker for the BJW belt is pretty baffling, seems like they’re cutting Parker off as soon as he got started. I’m a fan of Yuko but Parker had some real momentum going. 

Is he going back to the UK?

I still don't understand how all of the New Japan gaijin's that left for the U.S. and Europe are unable to return to Japan, but Drew Parker was able to fly to the U.S. for one weekend only and then returned to Japan.

14 hours ago, A.M.B. said:

Miyamoto beating Drew Parker for the BJW belt is pretty baffling, seems like they’re cutting Parker off as soon as he got started. I’m a fan of Yuko but Parker had some real momentum going. 

I've read it had to do with a big sponsor for BJW wanting to see Miyamoto vs Ryuji Ito, which was announced as the next dm title match. BJW is very beholden to them, it's influenced matches/title reigns before.

What's worse is old man Jaki might be getting the next title match while Freedoms just delivered one of the best DM of the year with Violento Jack vs Masashi Takeda while ex-BJW guys like Ueki and Sakuda flourish there.

14 hours ago, The Z said:

Is he going back to the UK?

I still don't understand how all of the New Japan gaijin's that left for the U.S. and Europe are unable to return to Japan, but Drew Parker was able to fly to the U.S. for one weekend only and then returned to Japan.

They can, a lot of them (I.e. White, Juice) are just choosing not to because of the quarantine and restrictions. Cobb, Robbie, GoD have been back and forward a bit over the past year.