DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

6 hours ago, Control said:

I was surprised to learn that JBL had one tour with AJPW, teaming with Barry Windham as the New Blackjacks.

He also wrestled for WAR and something called NOW. He did more Japan tours than I would have guessed.

Sad news; Jahmale Hepburn, aka RealHero, known for the Google Drive of the same name, has passed away.

His efforts in bring Japanese wrestling, past and present, to Western audiences, were a large part of why people were able to get into and appreciate Japanese pro wrestling over the past few years. While I never personally talked to him, many people have also said he was one of the nicest people in the wrestling community.

Say hi to Misawa and Jumbo for us, Jahmale. We’ll miss you.

Edited by Super Ape
  • Sad 6

Results from the first round of AJPW’s Oudou tournament (results courtesy purolove):

Spoiler

[Results] All Japan, 15.08.2021 (von  Sternness am 15.08.2021)

AJPW "8TH OUDOU TOURNAMENT", 15.08.2021 (Tag) (GAORA TV/AJPW.tv) 
Shinjuku FACE 
270 Fans 

1. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Shuji Ishikawa besiegt Jun Saito (4:21) mit einem Running Kneelift. 
2. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Ayato Yoshida  besiegt Black Menso~re (7:20)mit einem Cradle. 
3. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Zeus besiegt Seigo Tachibana (6:41) mit einem Facelock. 
4. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Atsuki Aoyagi besiegt Takao Omori (9:29) mit einem Cradle. 
5. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: T-Hawk  besiegt Rising HAYATO (10:37) mit dem Night Ride. 
6. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Kento Miyahara besiegt Yusuke Kodama (12:31) mit einem Shutdown Suplex Hold. 
7. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Shigehiro Irie besiegt Kuma Arashi (11:13) mit dem Beast Bomber. 
8. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Jake Lee besiegt SUGI (12:36) mit dem D4C. 

AJPW "8TH OUDOU TOURNAMENT", 15.08.2021 (Nachmittag) (GAORA TV/AJPW.tv) 
Shinjuku FACE 
250 Fans 

1. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Suwama besiegt Rei Saito (3:03) mit einer Lariat. 
2. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Francesco Akira besiegt Izanagi (8:45) mit dem Yutaka. 
3. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Hokuto Omori besiegt Ryuki Honda (13:21) mit einem Muso Issen. 
4. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: TAJIRI besiegt Devil Murasaki (2:54) mit einem Crucifix Hold. 
5. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Yoshitatsu besiegt Hikaru Sato (8:24) mit dem Yoshitatsu Fantasy. 
6. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Abdullah Kobayashi  besiegt Dan Tamura (9:14)mit einem Bakachinga Sleeper. 
7. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Koji Iwamoto besiegt Koji Doi (11:53) mit einem Koko no Geijutsu Hold. 
8. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 1: Shotaro Ashino besiegt Yuma Aoyagi (16:46) mit einem T-Bone Suplex.

Looks like all the right people won (except Hikaru Sato).

I don’t know if there are actual brackets or if they can just randomly put winners together.

Haven’t watched any All Japan in months. Gonna try to work this one in to my schedule.

Also, mirror universe Jake Lee now has an evil Van Dyke.

E81fGzOVIAA3piF?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Control
  • Like 3

NJPW :

Will Ospreay is staying on the NJPW Strong brand for now, and he said he won't be participating in the G-1 this year. He is also the "Real IWGP World HW champ", somewhat similar gimmick to Ric Flair's Real World Champ long ago in the WWF.

I hope people are aware that the IC HW title is permanently done for good. I would never say never for the IWGP HW for an angle, but expect that title history and records of that title never to be revived. That's just how it works for unification in Japan for the top promotions.

There has been lot of adjustments and changes to the NJPW booking these past years, so again the point is to further move away from doing the exact same as the last decade and get ready for the future. They also have their big anniversary coming soon.

Seems the plan was for Kota to be the new top guy (ace) with all those booking decisions of these past years benefiting him and the amount of articles covering him over others. 

Eventually at some point Kota will be champ again if he gets better. Shingo chasing after the IWGP World after he loses it will have more meaning to the chase narrative wise, because unlike Gotoh.. Shingo won the top title.  Still I don't think Shingo will be the top guy but there's nothing wrong being one of the other top guys below the "ace".

AJPW:

I am not sure what big building the AJPW BIG 50th show will be at, maybe Sumo hall. Some think the Budokan, which they haven't booked in many years.  The Budokan costs more than Sumo hall, and NOAH has way more money considering they're money-puroresu and their financial backers are loaded with money. 

I think booking some other building that seats 7000 to 8000 would be better.

DDT: 

DDT now has a new bright blue rim around the ring, one may think it's to represent the Royal Road mat colors in their own way. Jun thinks there should be a standard over all the styles, Main Road, Baba style, Baba-Ism. While Konosuke Takeshita thinks all styles matter in DDT.

COVID-19 protocols continue to force changes to NJPW cards. 

Eight wrestlers have been pulled from Monday's NJPW Summer Struggle event at Korakuen Hall. IWGP World Heavyweight Champion Shingo Takagi and BUSHI will miss the show after also missing Sunday's Summer Struggle event due to having fevers. Both have undergone PCR testing and are waiting for the results. 

The other six wrestlers who were in the ring with Shingo and BUSHI on Saturday's event have been pulled from Monday's show due to contact tracing. Those talents are Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, EVIL, Yujiro Takahashi, Gedo and Dick Togo. 

Naito, SANADA, EVIL and Yujiro worked on Sunday's event despite being in close contact with Shingo and BUSHI on Saturday. 

Gedo and Togo had been slated to participate in a Super Junior Tag League match on Monday's show. Instead, they will forfeit the match to Ryusuke Taguchi and Master Wato. Taguchi and Wato will now face Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma in the opener.

Originally not slated to wrestle on this leg of the tour, Kazuchika Okada will now team with Toru Yano against Chase Owens and Jado on the show. 

Shingo is currently still scheduled to defend the IWGP World Heavyweight title against EVIL in the main event of Wrestle Grand Slam in MetLife Dome on Sunday, September 5. 

Here is the updated card for Monday's event: 

NJPW Summer Struggle, Monday, August 16, 5:30 a.m. Eastern time on NJPW World --

• Super Jr. Tag League: El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. SHO & YOH 
  • Super Jr. Tag League: Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo vs. Robbie Eagles & Tiger Mask
  • Kazuchika Okada & Toru Yano vs. Chase Owens & Jado
  • Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr, Minoru Suzuki & DOUKI
  • Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs Ryusuke Taguchi & Master Wato

5 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

That is a bleak looking card. Not sure what they can do but ride it out. 

Imagine paying for tickets in advance and you get that card. Yeah, coronavirus has done a real number on NJPW. G1 Climax will probably be rough this year as well.

Yeah, I just would have no interest in watching a Jado/Chase Owens team and having to see Wato try to look serious vs Great Bash Heel. I'm sure the two remaining jr tag league matches will be fine.

Can anytime confirm that the ticket prices for shows has sky rocketed in Japan this past year?

• Like 1

Japan will extend their State of Emergency again through September. A decision to declare an emergency for Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma, Shizuoka, Kyoto, Hyogo and Fukuoka prefectures from Friday to Sept. 12 is expected to be made on Tuesday.

Edited by D.Z

COVID-19 protocols have forced changes to an NJPW event for a third consecutive day. 

IWGP World Heavyweight Champion Shingo Takagi, Tetsuya Naito, SANADA, BUSHI, Yujiro Takahashi, Gedo and Dick Togo were all originally scheduled to take place in Tuesday's Summer Struggle event at Korakuen Hall. All have been pulled from the show. 

Shingo and BUSHI presented with fevers at Sunday's untelevised show and were pulled from that event. The two underwent PCR tests, but NJPW said in a statement that they are still awaiting the results of the tests. The other five were close contacts after sharing a ring with them on Saturday, so they were pulled from Monday and Tuesday's shows, though those five were allowed to work Sunday's event. EVIL was pulled from Monday's event, but was not scheduled to wrestle on Tuesday's show.

Gedo and Togo were already mathematically eliminated from the Super Junior Tag League, but were forced to forfeit Monday's tournament match. Their scheduled tournament match for Tuesday has been ruled a double forfeit following SHO and YOH's dissolution as a team on Monday's show. 

Shingo is currently still scheduled to defend the IWGP World Heavyweight title against EVIL in the main event of Wrestle Grand Slam in MetLife Dome on Sunday, September 5. 

Here is the updated card for Tuesday's show: 

NJPW Summer Struggle, Tuesday, August 17, 5:30 a.m. Eastern time on NJPW World --

• Super Jr. Tag League: Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo (4-0) vs. El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru (3-1)
  • Super Jr. Tag League: Robbie Eagles & Tiger Mask (3-1) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi & Master Wato (2-2)
  • Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Taichi, Zack Sabre Jr., Minoru Suzuki & DOUKI
  • Toru Yano & Togi Makabe vs. Chase Owens & Jado
  • Tomoaki Honma vs. Great-O-Khan
Edited by The Natural

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question but is New Japan doing something wrong that other promotions aren't? AJPW has 16 guys in the Oudou Tournament and none of them are missing dates. I know Suwama got Covid but it wasn't like he took 5 or 6 other guys along with him. I haven't heard of any outbreaks in NOAH. Is it just because NJPW runs more shows so it's harder to keep the guys distanced? Is there any legs to the idea that other promotions just aren't being as cautious and are letting guys work through symptoms/exposure? Asking in good faith. 

• Like 1

2155774_202002200198404001582197228c.jpg

LEGACY 

The Japan Wrestling Hall of Fame announced on the 18th.. two 70th anniversary of Japanese wrestling shows! Both are titled "LEGACY" ( Korakuen Hall, Tokyo), the two shows will be held on September 14th and 15th.

First day will have New Japan Pro-Wrestling, Michinoku Pro-Wrestling, BJPW, Noah, 2AW.  Second day will have All Japan Wrestling, DDT, Dragon Gate, Zero One. Battle Royale match on both shows. I will post the partial cards later.

The Hall of Fame will be announced shortly, and the award ceremony will be held on the day of the competition.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question but is New Japan doing something wrong that other promotions aren't? AJPW has 16 guys in the Oudou Tournament and none of them are missing dates. I know Suwama got Covid but it wasn't like he took 5 or 6 other guys along with him. I haven't heard of any outbreaks in NOAH. Is it just because NJPW runs more shows so it's harder to keep the guys distanced? Is there any legs to the idea that other promotions just aren't being as cautious and are letting guys work through symptoms/exposure? Asking in good faith. 

No questions dumb. Honestly I think it's a combination of all those things. NJPW are having it worse. Hope that helps in some way.

Edited by The Natural

More AJPW results from purolove

Spoiler

0. Yuma Aoyagi, Ryuki Honda, Jun Saito, Rei Saito & Ryoma Tsukamoto besiegen Takao Omori, Izanagi, Black Menso~re, Dan Tamura & Devil Murasaki (8:17) nach einem Spear von Honda gegen Murasaki. 
1. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 2: Atsuki Aoyagi besiegt TAJIRI (7:58) mit einem Samson Clutch. 
2. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 2: Shuji Ishikawa besiegt Francesco Akira (5:05) mit einem Air Scissors Drop. 
3. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 2: Shigehiro Irie besiegt Yoshitatsu (5:32) mit einem Yoshitatsu Illusion 
4. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 2: Ayato Yoshida  besiegt Hokuto Omori (7:34) mit einem Backdrop Suplex. 
5. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 2: Shotaro Ashino besiegt Zeus (9:43) mit einem Ankle Lock. 
6. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 2: Suwama besiegt Abdullah Kobayashi  (10:23)durch Referee Stop (Manriki Sleeper). 
7. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 2: Kento Miyahara besiegt T-Hawk  (14:15) mit einem Shutdown Suplex Hold. 
8. 8th Oudou Tournament - Round 2: Jake Lee besiegt Koji Iwamoto (13:21) mit dem D4C.

Quarterfinals are (according to Twitter):

Spoiler

Left bracket
• Atsuki Aoyagi vs. Shotaro Ashino
• Ayato Yoshida vs. Jake Lee

Right bracket
• Kento Miyahara vs. Shuji Ishikawa
• Shigehiro Irie vs. SUWAMA

Some good looking matchups. Twitter is high on the first round Ashino/Aoyagi match,

• Like 2