DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

58 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Weirdly enough I was thinking about this recently while rewatching some of their matches with Misawa/Kawada. Gordy in general feels like he must been in the company forever but even without Doc he was only there... what, 87-93? Really sad to think about what could have been if Terry's personal problems hadn't cut his run short. 

Similarly, I’m surprise to see that the Holy Demon Army only formed in 93–the last year of MVC. Though they seem to loom equally large in AJPW history, HDA lasted more than twice as long, teaming basically right up to the split.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Control said:

Winner of the Fire Festival is

Reveal hidden contents

Longtime Z1 stalwart Takuya Sugawara. I’m sure I’ve seen him wrestle, but couldn’t pick him out of a lineup.

I feel like Inamura was meant to win this. I could have seen him beating the winner of Sugiura-Tanaka for the Zero-1 title. Oh well. 

• Like 1

Bit late but Evil also further broke a piece off the IWGP World HW. Sometimes I wonder if they will later remake the belt with more gold instead of the dual metal.

Kota thought belts should be rounder like the IWGP 1st and 4th.

Edited by D.Z

Hiroshi Yamato defended his Top of Mt. Fuji Championship against FUMA yesterday, a belt that can only be contested for at... the top of Mt. Fuji. They then fought Kunio Toshima from 2AW and Koichi Takemura in a battle royale, because climbing to the top of Japan's biggest mountain so you can beat the snot out of people is a communal, spiritual activity.

• Like 2

Nomura-Nakanoue and Parker-Tsukamoto from the 7/23 Big Japan show are both excellent. Abe challenging for the Strong title next is super intriguing. It appears Miyamoto and Ito are the next two death match title challengers. 

I recently mentioned one of my favourite matches in a different thread, and got curious about the rest of the card. Here it is (credit: purolove):

AJPW, 23.07.2000 (GAORA TV)
Tokyo Nippon Budokan
16,300 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. Masanobu Fuchi besiegt Shigeo Okumura (9:57) mit einem Backdrop Suplex.
2. SHIIBA  besiegt SHINOBI (8:48) mit einem Cross-Arm Suplex Hold.
3. Giant Kimala besiegt Yuto Aijima (10:19) mit einer Jumping Body Press.
4. Mike Barton & Wolf Hawkfield besiegen George Hines & Scorpio (15:08) nach einem Diamond Cutter von Barton gegen Scorpio.
5. Yoshiaki Fujiwara besiegt Johnny Smith (19:52) mit einem Wakigatame.
6. Steve Williams besiegt Jinsei Shinzaki  (21:11) mit einem Homicidal Backdrop Driver.
7. Toshiaki Kawada & Genichiro Tenryu besiegen Stan Hansen & Maunakea Mossman (23:12)nach einer Powerbomb von Kawada gegen Mossman.

This card drew 16,000+ fans. It’s actually kind of amazing to look at Ajpw’s “dark” period and realize how incredibly better off they were than now.

• Like 2

46 percent of Japan's population has gotten their first dose of their vaccine. Around 32 percent are fully vaccinated. I will post the updated numbers later when they reach 50 instead of incremental small updates.  

We are still gonna have mostly covid pro wrestling crowds for this year in Japan. Some projects and events have been delayed to next year.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh man I'm totally down to watch Fujiwara vs. Johnny Smith. 

JBL was working Japan dates in 2000 still? 

I imagine Dr. Death and Shinzaki had no business going 21 minutes, but I’m curious.

I don’t know what you mean about JBL, though. (Wolf Hawkfield was Jim Steele, if that is who you’re talking about).

Edited by Control