DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

From one of the Business links of AJPW few days ago:

"Two months later, on March 19, 2020, I thoroughly discussed the future direction with President Fukuda and Director Toeda, and All Japan Pro Wrestling Innovation transferred the shares to Mr. Takenori Fukuda, and President Fukuda. I decided to make it a unipolar system.

As a result, All Japan Wrestling will become a monolith, and various business developments will have freedom, and a big leap can be expected.

It was also at this time that I was invited to the production committee of the movie "Howling Village", and President Fukuda is appearing in "Jukaimura", which is currently being released.

I like big movies so much.

Although there were twists and turns, with the appointment of Managing Director Suwama this time, further development of All Japan Wrestling can be expected.
From the bottom of my heart, I want to do so.

Once the corona has converged, let's talk a lot again"

https://ameblo.jp/stokimori/entry-12661911196.html

Getting caught back up with the continuing Tanahashi interview on the NJPW site. This quote from him at the end cracked me up:

–You had some very salty comments at the Osaka Dome show, not only toward HUSTLE but K-1 Dynamite! as well. Their New Year’s Eve event was set for Osaka Dome, and Antonio Inoki welcomed Bobby Ologun and Yoshihiro Akiyama to the ring that night. You said ‘all we’re being used for is to plug Dynamite and HUSTLE’

Tanahashi: I think what really got to me was that it was Inoki doing it. He became a legend because of professional wrestling, and to be out there shilling something else was really unforgivable.

–Inoki would likely say the opposite, that he was using the attention to draw in a new audience and make things more interesting.

Tanahashi: Really? C’mon, Inoki didn’t have a single good thing to say about NJPW in the press at that point in time. And when someone with that much say talks the way he does, well the fans take him on his word.

–He was quoted saying ‘NJPW is rotten’, and he owned the company!

Tanahashi: Can you imagine restaurant owners with a megaphone yelling ‘our food tastes like shit?’

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Inoki believed in "viciousness" and getting heat, he would later use IGF and their wrestlers to attack NJPW in promos. I remember when he used Fujinami to say NJPW should seal away the IWGP HW because they became too "Showman Style" and American Pro Wrestling. 

Edited by D.Z

Another one

–So did the fans know all the wrestlers were there? Was it not crowded?

Tanahashi: The thing is, when everybody took their masks off, you’d be surprised at how the fans couldn’t figure out who was who. Sometimes, like you see a Euforia at Fantasticamania, they’re such big dudes that they stand out, but back then most people were pretty small. I stood out because of my size; they all said my lucha name should be Anabolica because they thought I was on the gas (laughs). It’s all natural though!

• Haha 5

From Purowub

ZERO1 "HONO PRO-WRESTLING 19TH YASUKUNI SHRINE FESTIVAL CHIKARA FESTIVAL", 03/27/2021
Tokyo Yasukuni Shrine Sumo Wrestling Place
2,280 fans - No Vacancy

1st Young Generation Battle : Hiroshi Yamato, Kosuke Sato , Leo Isaka , TAMURA , Kouju Takeda & Baliyan Akki defeat Shoki Kitamura, Takafumi, Takumi Baba, Raimu Imai , Junya Matsunaga & Genta Hidiki (13:54) after Akki's Swan Dive Body Press against Matsunaga.
2. Women's Pro-Wrestling Legend Tag Match : Jaguar Yokota & Dump Matsumoto vs. Shinobu Kandori & Kyoko Inoue - Double Countout (13:41) .
3rdCarbell Pro Offer Match : Chris Vice, Yoshikazu Yokoyama & Shogun Okamoto defeat Carbell Ito, Hartley Jackson & Naoshi Sano (12:41) after an Ax Bomber from Yokoyama against Ito.
4. 2AW Offer Match : Kengo Mashimo & Tatsuya Hanami defeat Ayato Yoshida & Takuro Niki  (15:12) after a high fly bomb by Hanami against Niki.
5. Strong Style Offer Match : Super Tiger & Kamen Shooter Super Rider defeat Hayato Mashita & Fuminori Abe  (13:41) after a savate in the face of Tiger against Mashita.
6. GLEAT Offer Match : Kaz Hayashi , Takanori Ito , Soma Watanabe& Yu Iizuka defeat CIMA , T-Hawk , El Lindaman & Issei Onitsuka  (14:41) after a cross armbreaker from Iizuka against Onitsuka.
7. NOAH Offer Match : Yoshiki Inamura & Kinya Okada defeat Kaito Kiyomiya & Junta Miyawaki  (14:56) after a muso from Inamura against Miyawaki.
8. AJPW Offer Match : Suwama & Dan Tamura defeat Shuji Ishikawa & Ryuki Honda  (16:40) after a backdrop suplex from Suwama against Honda.
9. ZERO1 Offer Match - Hot Japan vs. Revengers: Masato Tanaka, Takuya Sugawara, Hayato Tamura & Asuka defeat Shinjiro Otani, Aja Kong (OZ), Yumehito Imanari & Ren Ayabe  (15:14) after Tanaka's sliding D against Ayabe.

Jun won so it's gonna be Jun vs Dino on April 11 at Korakuen for the KO-D Openweight Championship.

Ultimate Tag League participants :

Kazusada Higuchi & Yukio Sakaguchi

Jun Akiyama & Makoto Oishi

Konosuke Takeshita & Shunma Katsumata

Yuji Hino & Daisuke Sasaki

Antonio Honda & Chris Brookes

Edited by D.Z

Watching Japanese wrestling on and off for over 20 years, I'm pretty sure that DDT show was the first time I've watched a show from Japan live, so that was fun. Top to bottom very fun show, which I honestly think DDT provides more consistently than any other company in the world, probably, especially if you can follow along with @ddtpro_eng on twitter and get some translations to make the comedy stuff make a little more sense. The relevant comedy stuff here was Makoto Oishi claiming that, now that he's in Akiyama's stable, he wouldn't participate in Dieno's shenanigans anymore, even if they're teaming. This led not only to some good fun in their match (Oishi is a hell of a physical comedian), but now feeds into the upcoming Akiyama/Dieno match.

Even if you're not into the comedy stuff, the main and (even more so) the HARASHIMA/Sakaguchi match are well worth checking out. The latter has a big striking exchange that actually leads to something aside from proof of fighting spirit, in 2021, imagine that!

Yoshitatsu brought the real Inoki-ism style of match to AJPW with rounds, so we do have Inoki-Ism in AJPW now.  "Different Martial Arts Fights" of old. 

Exi44vbVoAMy9Ey.jpg

Another type will happen later.

Edited by D.Z

I haven't seen much of Ohtani in the past few years but I kinda wish AJPW was bringing him in for the Jr league rather than the Carny (I believe he's still back down to jr weight, no?). He's kinda small for all the big lumpy AJPW guys we know and love, but moreso my reasoning is that the Jr division could use a salty vet to slap around Iwamoto a bunch and have a title run before dropping it to someone who needs the rub. 

Two new rookie twins Jun Saito and his brother Rei both will debut soon at the Ota Ward show, they are debuting earlier than most wrestlers. Both additions will increase the AJPW roster to 20.

50UuTxI3gAMGZKx0Mf45H7dKccamQp0RpK8tmiIZ

As for the CC, Zeus aims to win back to back CC's. Suwama is interested in facing Otani.

Shiro Koshinaka, Shinichi Nakano, Masahiko Takasugi all will participate in the Jumbo Memorial match at Ota Ward.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

Sexy Twins, fuck yeah.

That was a quick journey through the dojo.

EDIT: wait how tall are those dudes? Keep in mind Suwama is a certified GIANT of the violent variety. Sexy Giants!

Edited by Control
  • Like 2