DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

13 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

I would recommend Shiozaki vs Nakajima, vs Sugiura, and Nakajima vs Kiyamiya from the N-1 Final. Kenoh vs Kiyamiya and vs Sakuraba are fine, nothing great.

Go loves his long matches. I suggest skipping the first 30 minutes of Go vs Fujita, the last half is great stuff. It felt like such a grind by the end but as someone who has worked retail before I was extra sensitive to the pain that comes with standing in one spot while people glare at you. 

Cheers for the help, @Spontaneous. It's like all things, there's good and bad. I like my long matches providing done well. Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair is my go to example as the greatest long match ever going 55+ minutes. The opposite of that is Triple H/Shawn Michaels 47 minute Hell in a Cell at Bad Blood 2004. I can relate to that retail experience having worked there.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

The Go vs Fujita staredown match needs to be watched when someone is ready and has the time for it.

Anyway for AJP unless things change seems the promotion deemphasized working hard in the hw division unless it's the finals of tournaments or championship matches. 

New promotion in Japan "Crown"

3 wrestlers signed so far are first are Towa Iwasaki, SUGI & SHINGO. Sekimoto, Yuko Miyamoto, Fuminori Abe, Kohei Sato, TARU & more will participate.

So GLEAT, Vamostar, ASSEMBLE, CPW, now CROWN. 

8 hours ago, D.Z said:

The Go vs Fujita staredown match needs to be watched when someone is ready and has the time for it.

Anyway for AJP unless things change seems the promotion deemphasized working hard in the hw division unless it's the finals of tournaments or championship matches. 

That’s sounds accurate, re: AJP. Even more frustrating since they only put on four shows a month. Like, what are y’all saving it up for?

Does anyone know what the actual name of the New Japan ROKU channel that debuts today is called?  I have tried NJPW and New Japan and can't find it.  Are they literally going to create the channel at 5:00 PM?  

Never mind I am a moron.  I thought it was a ROKU channel but it is on the Roku Channel 

Edited by hammerva

Minoru Tanaka becomes UWF Technical Officer of  GLEAT,  he wants to make the UWF department of GLEAT amazing.

Eventually GLEAT wants to hold both separate all pro wrestling tournament and all UWF tournament.

On 2/10/2021 at 3:51 PM, D.Z said:

New promotion in Japan "Crown"

3 wrestlers signed so far are first are Towa Iwasaki, SUGI & SHINGO. Sekimoto, Yuko Miyamoto, Fuminori Abe, Kohei Sato, TARU & more will participate.

So GLEAT, Vamostar, ASSEMBLE, CPW, now CROWN. 

I consider myself to be "a person who loves Japanese pro wrestling/プロレスオタク" but I can not muster up a single ounce of shit to give about GLEAT, VAmostar, or CROWN. 

Not suggesting that you need to stop posting about them, @D.Z, though I wonder if anyone else here cares. I kinda think it's weird that I just don't.

I also think it's weird that so many people are starting promotions up right now, with Tokyo and Osaka under declared State of Emergency and so on.

I know Bodyguard has instituted temperature checks at Colega Pro, and it's necessary to be registered on the tracking app to be admitted to the building, and I assume all the new promotions have similar rules, but still. I consider Bodyguard a friend and want to support his new venture (and the whole set up looks and sounds really good to me, other than the timing of starting up mid-pandemic) and I want to continue to support Kuuga's DPW, and I just really love live pro wrestling, but I won't be going to any shows until this whole thing is well under control.

Honestly of all those new 5 I only really strongly care about GLEAT because of the shoot division. Most of them are just small scale orgs anyway that don't or won't run regularly. 

I just post news sometimes.

• Like 1

Felt compelled to write, well type why I'm a puroresu fan and waiting for the next episode of WandaVision out in an hour:

Some of the greatest matches in the history of all wrestling. Mitsuharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue (AJPW, 9th of June 1995) Kobashi vs. Misawa (AJPW, 31st October 1998), Kensuke Sasaki/Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Kenta Kobashi/Go Shiosaki (NOAH, 5th November 2005), Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki (NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2012), Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10), Okada vs. Omega (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11/Dominion 2018) and Tanahashi vs. Ibushi (NJPW G1 Climax 28 Finals). All *****. Misawa/Kobashi vs. Holy Demon Army match I refer to fights it out with Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 for my #1 spot on my Greatest Match of All Time.

Japan has produced some of the best wrestlers of all time. I'd like to mention by name: Kenta Kobashi, Mitusharu Misawa, Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Minoru Suzuki and Jushin Thunder Liger.

It's treat as a real sport with press conferences before and after matches.

I particularly love how championships are treated. The length of the reign and defences of are documented. The video that plays before IWGP Heavyweight Championship matches of past champions including how many times held.

I like how the mats have logos on and especially the outer trim on the mat, the border where the ropes are.

• Like 2

Onita's usage of the old All Asia tags are both certified and granted permission by the owners now, so the belts can be used by him and whoever else and wherever he goes.

Titles lineage is the same, but the full title history may only be owned by AJP, or the titles history can just cut off when last usage of the original belts stopped and ignore the recent title defenses after.

The PWF and AJP so far for now only recognize the new AJP set as the real deal.

On 2/12/2021 at 7:08 AM, The Natural said:

Felt compelled to write, well type why I'm a puroresu fan and waiting for the next episode of WandaVision out in an hour:

Some of the greatest matches in the history of all wrestling. Mitsuharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue (AJPW, 9th of June 1995) Kobashi vs. Misawa (AJPW, 31st October 1998), Kensuke Sasaki/Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Kenta Kobashi/Go Shiosaki (NOAH, 5th November 2005), Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Minoru Suzuki (NJPW King of Pro-Wrestling 2012), Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10), Okada vs. Omega (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11/Dominion 2018) and Tanahashi vs. Ibushi (NJPW G1 Climax 28 Finals). All *****. Misawa/Kobashi vs. Holy Demon Army match I refer to fights it out with Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin at WrestleMania 13 for my #1 spot on my Greatest Match of All Time.

Japan has produced some of the best wrestlers of all time. I'd like to mention by name: Kenta Kobashi, Mitusharu Misawa, Kazuchika Okada, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Minoru Suzuki and Jushin Thunder Liger.

It's treat as a real sport with press conferences before and after matches.

I particularly love how championships are treated. The length of the reign and defences of are documented. The video that plays before IWGP Heavyweight Championship matches of past champions including how many times held.

I like how the mats have logos on and especially the outer trim on the mat, the border where the ropes are.

Forgot to mention how the winner of the championship gets a championship celebration losing for pictures and the referee putting the belt round the wrestler's waist. Japan do it right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Gran Gordi said:

149831356_411959810088639_73997778135983

A friend in Tokyo just sent me this picture. Tanahashi has his own special Zima now!! I think @D.Zand @The Naturalhave posted about it already but this is the first time I've seen it in the wild. Haven't found it in my hometown yet. 

We have. Thank you for posting this, @El Gran Gordi. Best wishes, my friend.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I know they want to underline the lemon flavor but "High Fly Flow" is right there, and just sounds like a beverage. Actually it sounds like a Gatorade flavor.

Thanks for reminding me about something I forgot in my why I'm a fan of puroresu post, names of finishers. High Fly Flow is a favourite along with Burning Hammer, Emerald Flowsion, Sling Blade, Shining Wizard, Tiger Driver, and Phoenix Splash.

Edited by The Natural