DVDVR Message Board

2021 Puroresu General Discussion

Jiji

Yooooo, just starting to watch the NYE shuffle tag tournament and Endo teamed with Sekimoto! Nomura with Takeshita! Okabayashi and Harashima! The first couple of years when they had more organizations participating made for a more special show but DDT and BJW have enough really good wrestlers to make it work anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Yooooo, just starting to watch the NYE shuffle tag tournament and Endo teamed with Sekimoto! Nomura with Takeshita! Okabayashi and Harashima! The first couple of years when they had more organizations participating made for a more special show but DDT and BJW have enough really good wrestlers to make it work anyway. 

I misread "Endo" as "Enzo" and was really discombobulated for a moment.

I checked out the Final Gate 2020 show, the look I give Dragon Gate every couple of years. My biggest problem with that promotion is that all the guys that started after the switch from Toryumon to Dragon Gate are not even close to the level of the Toryumon "trueborns" (well, the first Dragon Gate class was still up to par, with guys like Shingo Takagi, BxB Hulk or Akira Tozawa). I don't know if this is due to the change in the training system (the Toryumon guys being trained in Mexico by Skayde) or something else. The newer guys either are completely interchangeable regarding look and wrestling style or are just plain mediocre. At least the Masquerade group seems to have a cool entrance an La Estrella seems to be a great flyer.

The show itself was pretty pedestrian besides the last two matches. The guys in the main event really took their time and seemed to build up to a pretty good match, though it ended on a really sour note, when Skywalker legit knocked out Ben-K with a clotheline (that maybe should have been a shota) and neither Skywalker nor the ref (who actually checked Ben-K) realizing it, which lead to Skywalker hitting a moonsault and Ben-K not being able to kick out while the ref stopped counting at 2.

Tajiri and R.Honda have both joined  AJPW.

EqskMsJU0AAXBA8?format=jpg&name=largeEqskMsHVgAA1Ma8?format=jpg&name=large

Yuma has black n blue hair.

Bodyguard sang his own theme I think before the battleroyal and won the battleroyal.

Nextream won the world tags with Yuma's Endgame sub on Suwama. Violence Giant may have to disband now.

Edited by D.Z

The Tanaka/Zeus booking is weird. Make Zeus undefeated in the CC, and then lose to Tanaka in 10 minutes? I guess he can blame COVID.

If Violent Giants have broken up, maybe they can bring in Kohei Sato and reunite the Twin Towers.

Edited by Control

Tajiri will use his overseas connections to help AJPW.

Not sure if AJPW will announce anything special today for the future, but we will see.

Yoshitatsu mentioned Cena to AJPW, so its more likely  to be parody wrestler.

• Like 1

AJPW:

Fuminori Abe vs Koji Iwamoto for the Junior Title.

Violence Giants disbanded.

BJW:
Yasufumi Nakanoue won the Strong HW title with a moonsault, dude used to work for AJPW in the Muto era.

AJPW

K.Sato will be back on the 24th

Purple Haze retained the All Asia tags and will face the other members of Purple Haze.

TLC set up

Eqx4CSqVoAE7OjT?format=jpg&name=large

Jun Kasai won the Tv title.

Spoiler

Suwama retained and will face Ashino next.

Edited by D.Z

Finally getting into the shuffle tag show in earnest now and holy shit did the Takeshita/Nomura v Oishi/Hyodo match have way more psychology than I expected. It was pretty fucking great for an opening round, throwaway match, with a perfect story of the favourite v total underdog team. Takeshita was never taking this seriously because he knew no matter what he was the far superior athlete and could get momentum back whenever he wanted. Nomura toys with Oishi at the start, then Hyodo and he throw some amazing strike exchanges and grapple to a draw. Underdogs survive long enough to go to the sudden death one count OT fall and Nomura outsmarts Hyodo by getting an armbar and forcing Hyodo to try and roll out of it, pinning himself in the process for the fall. Simple, perfectly executed storytelling. Love it.

• Thanks 1

• RIPPA pinned this topic

Next year for NJPW there are big plans, pumping 7 billion yen in, the aim of having that years WK live on terrestrial tv golden time, and more Dome shows a year and G-1 Dome hopefully.

Kidani wants to scout big newcomers and from Olympics and wrestling, swimming and gymnastics and other physical  sports.

NJPW local subsidiaries in USA will full scale start this year when Corona ends.

Something about dividing the G-1 into two groups.

Edited by D.Z

Shows in Tokyo might have to shorten cards, matches, do shows earlier or short shows for this month because of Tokyo's state of emergency.

Events in Tokyo can only go up to 5000 max up to Feb.7.

Edited by D.Z

Giant Baba memorial show will be 6 matches. 

Anyway from top to bottom

Keiji Muto, Suwama, Kojima vs Kaz Hayashi, Masa Kono, X

Yuji Nagata, Yuma Aoyagi vs  Minoru Suzuki,  Hikaru Saito

Bushi vs Atsuki Aoyagi

Masanobu Fuchi, Atsushi Onita, Great Kojika, Shiro Koshinaka vs Mitsuo Momota, Takao Omori, Masao Inoue, Tsuyoshi Kikuchi

Jinsei Shinzaki, Mitsuya Nagai, Tomoaki Honma vs Kotaro Suzuki, Andy Wu, Alejandro

Edited by D.Z