DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIV - 1/31/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Bianca just had a Chronicle episode come out a few days ago that talked quite a bit about her Rumble performance last year. That's a pretty good sign she's got a shot at winning. I'd like to see her or Rhea come out the winner. As long as it's not Fiendlexa, Bayley, Sasha, or Charlotte I'm good.

2 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Bianca just had a Chronicle episode come out a few days ago that talked quite a bit about her Rumble performance last year. That's a pretty good sign she's got a shot at winning. I'd like to see her or Rhea come out the winner. As long as it's not Fiendlexa, Bayley, Sasha, or Charlotte I'm good.

Good, good.

I'd be unpleased to see Becky Lynch win right now. And definitely Rhonda Rousey too. But I figure if Rhonda returns, she's winning.

28 minutes ago, Eivion said:

She only had 2 other feuds. She beat Mercedes and lost her second match to Raquel. The Rhea had a terrible year talk is bs. She was as big a focus in the division as Io was and lost around 3 matches legitimately. 

She also ate the pin in the triple threat against Io and Charlotte following Wrestlemania, and then lost to her again recently before losing her exit match against Raquel. It's not pulled out of thin air.  She also lost to Toni Storm,  off interference in the build-up to facing Raquel. Key losses to Io, Storm, and Raquel on her way out the door since November. 1-2 in her only feuds doesn't sound like a great year to me.  Since Wrestlemania, she had one legitimate win over Mercedes, somebody who should be a much bigger deal, but for whatever reason was barely featured on NXT for most of the year. 

To be fair, I understand that jumping to the main roster is basically going back to square one (for better or worse). Many times, the more heavily featured you were in NXT, the worse off you end up on the main roster. Just ask Shayna Baszler.  Rhea will probably be thrown into some on/off dead end feud against Nia and Shayna for the next six months. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell

8 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Many times, the more heavily featured you were in NXT, the worse off you end up on the main roster. Just ask Shayna Baszler.  

Is she really the best example to make this point? I don't think anyone was expecting Ronda Rousey's less-recognizable, pushing-forty friend to be a world-beater on the main roster. 

In singles matches post-WrestleMania, Rhea is an even 4-4-1 for the rest of the year. But if you put together the entirety of what she did on TV for the rest of the year, it doesn't look too pretty.

WrestleMania: lost to Charlotte
May: No contest with Io, lost to Charlotte & Chelsea Green
June: lost three way match against Io & Charlotte, defeats Aliyah in a singles match
July: defeats Aliyah & Robert Stone, loses a #1 contender match to Dakota Kai
August: wins a tag match against Aliyah & Mercedes, loses a tag match against Dakota & Raquel
September: defeats Mercedes, loses a #1 contender battle royale
October: defeats Raquel
November: loses to Io
December: losing team on WarGames, loses to Toni Storm, defeats Dakota
January 2021: loses to Raquel

She had a good year after Wrestlemania because she beat somebody who was barely on NXT TV? I'm not denying how much of a badass Mercedes comes across as, but they barely put her on TV, or gave her any matches. Up to this point, Mercedes has been mainly featured as muscle.  She had just as much TV time under a mask as part of Retribution. Besides, the Mercedes match was tied into the Robert Stone Brand crap, so it was really just the same feud.  Shotzi Blackheart's toy tank has also been a focus of the division, arguably a bigger focus than Rhea Ripley in the last few months. 

I don't think Rhea had a great year, but it was perfectly solid. She was featured as much as Io, main evented NXT multiple times, and had plenty of good matches. The only way things could have been better for her would have been her staying champ or becoming champ again, both of which would have fucked over Io.

Edit: Also quit underplaying Mercedes. When she re-debuted she was being pushed as one of the most dangerous women in the division. Once she came back she was immediately put into a feud with the champ. She was never simple muscle.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I don't think Rhea had a great year, but it was perfectly solid. She was featured as much as Io, main evented NXT multiple times, and had plenty of good matches. The only way things could have been better for her would have been her staying champ or becoming champ again, both of which would have fucked over Io.

Edit: Also quit underplaying Mercedes. When she re-debuted she was being pushed as one of the most dangerous women in the division. Once she came back she was immediately put into a feud with the champ. She was never simple muscle.

Mercedes was put into a feud with Io Shirai.....at the end of December. How does that figure into her being a big deal back when she was feuding with Ripley? I said everything you said about her being treated as dangerous, but also pointed out how rarely she was in actual matches last year. To me, Mercedes should have been the 40-year old they pushed this whole time instead of Baszler, as even without an MMA background, she has much more of a Cris Cyborg killer vibe than Shayna ever will. 

I don't think Ripley should have been the champ instead of Io, but with as uneventful as Asuka's long title reign has been, it seems that Raw was wide open for somebody like her to move to the main roster and seize control of that division, after Summerslam. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell

• RIPPA unpinned this topic