DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIV - 1/31/2021

Dolfan in NYC

That sucks about Keith Lee, he and Bryan are my two favorites to win.

21 announced for the men's rumble and only 13 announced for the women's. I wonder if there are people they're holding off on to confirm they're covid negative or if it's just being constantly rewritten.

Women's #30 is a real fart as well

This may be a #HotTake, but they really don't have enough female talent to do a full 30 women Royal Rumble. Every year they are going to be padded out with NXT girls and 'legends'. Rather than try to run a female version of all their big gimmicks for gender parity I'd much rather them come up with a fresh, unique gimmick that they could give to the women. 2 Rumbles on 1 show is so bloated and kind of tiring to watch. Ditto for the Chambers and WarGames. Would rather them do a yearly Evolution PPV with something new and original on it. 

Edited by killsteve

35 minutes ago, killsteve said:

This may be a #HotTake, but they really don't have enough female talent to do a full 30 women Royal Rumble. Every year they are going to be padded out with NXT girls

But, wait, I've been told since - suspiciously - late 2019, that NXT was a third brand!

even though they're only a third brand when it's convenient for WWE and are never included as a brand in things like the draft, or Survivor Series (except that one time, because Vince pissed off the Saudis...)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

21 announced for the men's rumble and only 13 announced for the women's. I wonder if there are people they're holding off on to confirm they're covid negative or if it's just being constantly rewritten.

They do this every year with the women's Rumble. As mentioned - it seems as if they don't want to expose how small the main roster is

Per the WWE website

Spoiler
  1. Alexa Bliss
  2. Asuka
  3. Charlotte Flair
  4. Dana Brooke
  5. Lacey Evans
  6. Lana
  7. Mandy Rose
  8. Naomi
  9. Nia Jax
  10. Nikki Cross
  11. Peyton Royce
  12. Shayna Baszler
  13. Bayley
  14. Bianca Belair
  15. Billie Kay
  16. Carmella
  17. Liv Morgan
  18. Natayla
  19. Ruby Riott
  20. Sasha Banks
  21. Tamina

So 21 - and that is needing the champs and their challengers to work twice

It gets to 23 if you include Maryse and Mickie James - who have I zero idea what their status would be. 24 if you include Becky Lynch - who would be returning less than 2 months after having her child. 

(I didn't include Mia Yim obviously since we know she can't be in it now).

But yeah... at least 9 spots that will have to be filled by debuting folks (Rhea Ripley for example), NXT (where they have been adamant about keeping the rosters separate due to COVID), NXT UK (travel issues due to COVID) and surprises (Rhonda, The Bella Twins who basically just claimed they are unretired)

Royal Rumble is my second favourite WWE PPV behind WrestleMania. I'm not sure I'll be watching live yet as its frustrating when a) the Royal Rumble match isn't up to standards although we've had some great recent ones, b) someone wins it who you didn't want to as happened last year with Charlotte Flair, c) Goldberg beating Drew McIntyre for the WWE Championship and d) giving up sleep for it as the show goes out midnight till usually 4am Monday morning UK time and I like chatting with y'all about it afterwards.

@RIPPA I'm pretty sure Chelsea Green is either cleared to return, or is about to be, so there's that too.

Also, yeah, I was snarky in my earlier comment about this, but seriously - if they just committed to NXT being an actual third brand, then having members of the women's division in the Rumble wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal as we're making it out to be.

Wait, that whole deal with Drew and Brock was last year's Rumble, right? One year ago? Fuck, it seems like it was about 95 years ago now. Buster Keaton was a special guest participant in that Rumble, right? 

Wait, that's ridiculous. As if they could get as big a star as that. 

Knowing old man McMahon's pop culture, he'd probably try to get Buster Keaton booked for this year's Rumble. GOD DAMMIT PRICHARD GET ME THE STEAM TRAIN GUY, THAT MUTE FUCK CAN TAKE A HELLUVA BUMP.

One year ago. God damn.

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Wait, that whole deal with Drew and Brock was last year's Rumble, right? One year ago? Fuck, it seems like it was about 95 years ago now. Buster Keaton was a special guest participant in that Rumble, right? 

Wait, that's ridiculous. As if they could get as big a star as that. 

Knowing old man McMahon's pop culture, he'd probably try to get Buster Keaton booked for this year's Rumble. GOD DAMMIT PRITCHARD GET ME THE STEAM TRAIN GUY, THAT MUTE FUCK CAN TAKE A HELLUVA BUMP.

One year ago. God damn.

Yes, last year. You're right in saying it feels a lot longer. What a terrible year 2020 was and it's continued that way.

5 hours ago, killsteve said:

This may be a #HotTake, but they really don't have enough female talent to do a full 30 women Royal Rumble. Every year they are going to be padded out with NXT girls and 'legends'. Rather than try to run a female version of all their big gimmicks for gender parity I'd much rather them come up with a fresh, unique gimmick that they could give to the women. 2 Rumbles on 1 show is so bloated and kind of tiring to watch. Ditto for the Chambers and WarGames. Would rather them do a yearly Evolution PPV with something new and original on it. 

This is basically gonna be an old man yelling at clouds post, but man I wish they would make the big 4 two night events. So like, one Rumble main events Saturday one main event Sunday. You can fit all the titles on this way. But separate them from that gender's Rumble night. Like all women's title matches and the men's Rumble on Saturday, all the men's title matches and women's Rumble on Sunday. Could do the same with the Survivor Series gimmicks. Could make each world title main event a night at Mania, or one night be the big men's main and the other the big women's main.

But even more importantly... the doubled up gimmicks would cease to be an issue if they, ya know, went back to booking gimmicks based on story telling vs 'hey it's October let's cue up two Hell in a Cell matches'. And this year it was fucking 3 of them wasn't it? They've been doing the shoe-horned gimmick PPVs for a decade now so they aren't going anywhere. But back in my day Cactus Jack vs Triple H in a Hell in a Cell was because the wanted to fucking kill each other, not just because the calendar said October ?‍♂️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Knowing old man McMahon's pop culture, he'd probably try to get Buster Keaton booked for this year's Rumble. GOD DAMMIT PRITCHARD GET ME THE STEAM TRAIN GUY, THAT MUTE FUCK CAN TAKE A HELLUVA BUMP.

If the Vaudevillians had worked more silent film bits as distraction spots, they’d have lasted longer. English distracts the heels at the Rumble with the Chaplin roll dance and Gotch throws them out.

Or they scream “MAKEUP!” and blind the monster heels with powder and large makeup sponges, and then Harold Lloyd does an insane climb to the balcony and loses his hand in a explosion match.

Edited by Hamhock

On 1/27/2021 at 4:15 PM, Andy in Kansas said:

Haven't watched much main roster WWE lately, which makes the Rumble actually difficult to predict. That's nice. Can't skip this if there's actually a chance Bryan's winning.

Winner: Edge
Final Four: Edge, Daniel Bryan, Big E, Sheamus

Winner: Rhea Ripley
Final Four: Rhea Ripley, Bianca Belair, Bayley, Charlotte Flair

You gotta do whatever Fiend-Orton thing they might have planned mid-match to bump Orton or both of them out of the match, right? Right?! Please...

Revising on account of the announcements on Backstage.

Winner: Daniel Bryan
Final Four: Daniel Bryan, Braun Strowman, Big E, Sheamus
Ironman: Cesaro
Most Eliminations: Braun Strowman

Winner: Rhea Ripley
Final Four: Rhea Ripley, Bianca Belair, Bayley, Charlotte Flair
Ironwoman: Charlotte Flair
Most Eliminations: Bianca Belair

There are all bad guesses. 

On 1/29/2021 at 10:13 PM, D.Z said:

20 men so far announced for the men's Royal Rumble, 13 for the women's. 

For the record - on the WWE website right now it is only 17 men

Spoiler
  1. Randy Orton 
  2. Edge
  3. AJ Styles
  4. Big E
  5. Daniel Bryan
  6. Sheamus
  7. Jeff Hardy
  8. Bobby Lashley
  9. Jey Uso
  10. Cesaro
  11. The Miz
  12. John Morrison
  13. Otis
  14. Sami Zayn
  15. Shinsuke Nakamura
  16. Dolph Ziggler
  17. Mustafa Ali

And 12 Women

Spoiler
  1. Shayna Baszler
  2. Alexa Bliss
  3. Peyton Royce
  4. Bianca Belair
  5. Bayley
  6. Charlotte Flair 
  7. Nia Jax 
  8. Mandy Rose
  9. Dana Brooke
  10. Tamina
  11. Liv Morgan
  12. Ruby Riott

So either they are really lazy updating the website or giving themselves so wiggle room or a combo of both.

The former is definitely true as Nattie isn't listed with the women despite everyone knowing she is #30

Is Rhea's nearly year-long humiliation ritual (after losing at WrestleMania to Charlotte) over yet? I don't think she's won a single feud besides beating Aaliyah and Robert Stone. The Robert Stone Brand is so irrelevant having to feud with them was a major step down. It was the following year's Royal Rumble when Asuka finally got some legitimate shine back by tapping out Becky. Of course, that didn't last long. 

A worthwhile payoff to invincible Alexa Bliss would be if she got squashed for the title by Rhea Ripley at Wrestlemania. That would never happen though. Bianca Belair winning a title is also long overdue.  I don't see them doing Bayley/Sasha again at Wrestlemania. Bianca/Sasha would be interesting, but it would work a lot better if one of them went full-blown heel, instead of some flat mutual respect approach. Any predictions that don't figure in Charlotte are probably way off. Charlotte challenging fiend Alexa Bliss would be a fun mess. 

What's the over/under on the match length for Goldberg/McIntyre? 3 minutes? I guess I'll take the over. They might give them 5 minutes for this latest finisher spam-off. 

We will know for sure we're in the worst timeline if Wyatt or Fiend Alexa wins one of the Rumble matches.

Well, I guess the worst timeline is if they BOTH win their Rumbles...

(Best timeline would have been Nikka Cross dramatically freeing Alexa from the Fiend's control at least, but we're well past that now probably...)

I'm really unsure who else could win the men's Rumble match this year, though. They haven't built to anything or elevated anyone in a way that suggests... anything. For the women's, maybe Bianca Belair wins? Would WWE do that or does it make too much sense? I'd enjoy a Bayley victory, too.

28 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I don't think she's won a single feud besides beating Aaliyah and Robert Stone.

She only had 2 other feuds. She beat Mercedes and lost her second match to Raquel. The Rhea had a terrible year talk is bs. She was as big a focus in the division as Io was and lost around 3 matches legitimately.