DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble XXXIV - 1/31/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The first real build to WrestleMania '21 begins.  

The card: 

30-WOMAN ROYAL RUMBLE FOR A TITLE MATCH AT WRESTLEMANIA XXXVII

30-MAN ROYAL RUMBLE FOR A TITLE MATCH AT WRESTLEMANIA XXXVII

LAST MAN STANDING MATCH FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Roman Reigns (c) vs. Kevin Owens

FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP - Drew McIntyre (c)** vs. Goldberg

FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Sasha Banks (c) vs. Carmella

FOR THE WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Charlotte Flair/Asuka (c) vs. Nia Jax/Shayna Baszler

FIREFLY FUNHOUSE MATCH - "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton*

--

* - Not official/probable

** - McIntyre tested positive for Covid-19 on or about 1/11. 

1 minute ago, Phantom Lord said:

I thought Drew vs. Keith Lee would be at the Royal Rumble and not tonight on RAW. So what the heck are they building up for at the Rumble?

Who knows

Riddle/Lashley for the US Title was supposed to be Rumble too but Lashley has declared for the Rumble

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In the newest WON - Meltzer said the Orton/Wyatt gimmick is a Firefly Fun House Match

We are really in the worst timeline

another one?

oh no I'm just thinking of the time Orton burned down the Wyatt compound so Bray could take time off and get repackaged as The Fiend, EXCUSE ME MY BAD

7 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In the newest WON - Meltzer said the Orton/Wyatt gimmick is a Firefly Fun House Match

Fucking hell.

57 minutes ago, D.Z said:

AJ Styles, Riddle, Randy Orton, Elias, will all be in the Men's Rumble.

Bobby Lashley. You forgot the first and biggest entry, Daniel Bryan.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Nia Jax and Charlotte will be in the Women's Rumble.

As it stands Sasha Banks is the WWE Smackdown Women's Champion so need Bayley to win the Women's Royal Rumble match and get Banks vs. Bayley at WrestleMania XXXVII. It's one of the only things Bayley and Sasha hasn't done, win a Royal Rumble match and headline WrestleMania.

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am not sure what is worse.  This or watching Drew do a 1 minute job to Goldberg for a cheap pop.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I am not sure what is worse.  This or watching Drew do a 1 minute job to Goldberg for a cheap pop.

Oof. Touch choice. Firefly Fun House will be longer and McIntyre/Goldberg shorter but Drew losing is more damaging. It's bringing a legend in from the past instead of building/having faith in your current stars. I'd go with Drew vs. Goldberg.

Yay! Goldberg.

The fuck, that dude is wretched.  I hated him 20 years ago, I think he's even worse now.

Also, I thought the Firefly Funhouse match from Mania with Cena was pretty awesome (I refuse to acknowledge the Inferno match because it was beyond horrible).  If it's done in a similar vein with a similar result, it could be good.

• Like 1

I thought the entire point of the Firefly Funhouse match is that it's a deep dive into the history (and alternative histories) of whatever character the Fiend/Wyatt is facing. It'd be kind of stupid (and yet, very on brand for WWE) to bill this match as the same match that he had with Cena at WrestleMania last year, then have it just be another Wyatt Compound match or whatever it was.

• Like 1

The original FFH match was great because of its unique presentation but also because Cena was game for exploring his character's vulnerabilities (being a bad person at heart, even though he was a babyface). I can't see Orton going for that, nor does Orton - the character - really give a shit about any vulnerabilities in the way Cena does, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

The original FFH match was great because of its unique presentation but also because Cena was game for exploring his character's vulnerabilities (being a bad person at heart, even though he was a babyface). I can't see Orton going for that, nor does Orton - the character - really give a shit about any vulnerabilities in the way Cena does, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. 

This. The Cena match worked because Cena's character at least thought he was a good person. Orton's character doesn't give a shit morally, and I doubt Orton, even if game, would be able to do the kind of weird meta shit they did in the Cena match. That just doesn't seem like something in his wheelhouse. 

• Like 2

"Cena, you're actually a bad guy!"

"NO!"

vs.

"Orton, you're actually a bad guy!"

"well even I've lost count of the number of times I've punted a pregnant woman in the head or set you on fire so yeah you got me there, pal."

• Haha 4

it'd have to be a bunch of alternate universe Ortons that were all upstanding squeaky clean 80s babyfaces.  Shaking hands and kissing babies, so many armdrags even Ricky Steamboat says That's Too Many, etc.