DVDVR Message Board

2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

The Natural

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Wow, Dustin Poirier got screwed over here.

He's going to make a shitload from a McGregor trilogy fight. He didn't screwed over at all. Plus, it had to be Do Bronx vs. somebody because Do Bronx has so many wins. By virtue of Chandler's impressive win, he had to either get a title fight or someone who would get him a title fight immediately afterwards. If Khabib stays retired and Poirier vs. McGregor III is all but made, the only fight left is Do Bronx vs. Chandler. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He's going to make a shitload from a McGregor trilogy fight. He didn't screwed over at all. Plus, it had to be Do Bronx vs. somebody because Do Bronx has so many wins. By virtue of Chandler's impressive win, he had to either get a title fight or someone who would get him a title fight immediately afterwards. If Khabib stay retired and Poirier vs. McGregor III is all but made, the only fight left is Do Bronx vs. Chandler. 

Plus Poirier said at the post fight UFC 257 press conference when he beat McGregor that he wasn't fighting Chandler for the belt.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't totally feel "right" but really everyone wins. They're maximizing their Chandler buzz. Oliveira deserves a shot so he wins. The fight is exciting in general so the fans win. One of them gets the rub of being the first post-Khabib champion. Dustin gets another big paycheck. If he beats Connor again he'll be an even bigger star for the championship fight. And if Connor wins... something something something who cares.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Too many people who watch UFC grew up on Boxing and Pro-Wrestling, and so they think that when a fighter says they're retiring, they mean they want a few months off. But I always thought of Khabib Nurmagemedov as a guy who does what he says he's going to do.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He's going to make a shitload from a McGregor trilogy fight. He didn't screwed over at all. Plus, it had to be Do Bronx vs. somebody because Do Bronx has so many wins. By virtue of Chandler's impressive win, he had to either get a title fight or someone who would get him a title fight immediately afterwards. If Khabib stays retired and Poirier vs. McGregor III is all but made, the only fight left is Do Bronx vs. Chandler. 

Unless he’s getting paid championship money for that fight he is getting screwed.

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Unless he’s getting paid championship money for that fight he is getting screwed.

Uh, no he isn't. If he wanted a shot at the title, which is now vacant, he would have declared his interest to challenge for it. He would have also said no immediately to another fight with Conor. Moreover, he just fought for the title not too long ago and lost. And one of the guys he has beat since then...Michael Chandler absolutely vaporized. It's not like he is on this several fight win streak. What has he done to deserve this? He has built up an impressive resume, but he cashed that in and fought Khabib. We know what happened. He hasn't ran off win after win since then. So no he isn't being screwed. Now if he had done what Do Bronx has done, then yeah, he would screwed. Otherwise, this is much ado about nothing.

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Wouldn't he be fighting at whatever his contract is at? I just assumed that's how it always worked unless they re-negotiate ahead of the fight. I think a lot of it will come down to the ppv points though. I'm guessing that even a 2021 fight McGregor will out-do a Poirier-Chandler or Poirier-Oliveira fight. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Wouldn't he be fighting at whatever his contract is at? I just assumed that's how it always worked unless they re-negotiate ahead of the fight. I think a lot of it will come down to the ppv points though. I'm guessing that even a 2021 fight McGregor will out-do a Poirier-Chandler or Poirier-Oliveira fight. 

Plus, he's in a position of power. You can't do McGregor-Poirier III without Dustin Poirier. It's not like MMA has rematch clauses like boxing. Poirier can and could still say no.

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Uh, no he isn't. If he wanted a shot at the title, which is now vacant, he would have declared his interest to challenge for it. He would have also said no immediately to another fight with Conor. Moreover, he just fought for the title not too long ago and lost. And one of the guys he has beat since then...Michael Chandler absolutely vaporized. It's not like he is on this several fight win streak. What has he done to deserve this? He has built up an impressive resume, but he cashed that in and fought Khabib. We know what happened. He hasn't ran off win after win since then. So no he isn't being screwed. Now if he had done what Do Bronx has done, then yeah, he would screwed. Otherwise, this is much ado about nothing.

He's no. 1 ranked guy in the division. He did declare his interest in a title challenge after McGregor. And last time I checked, the McGregor rematch hasn't been booked yet. 

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

He's no. 1 ranked guy in the division. 

So? The number 1 ranked person in ANY division doesn't necessarily get the title shot. You haven't learn that yet? Plus, the rankings are as arbitrary as those in boxing if not more. 

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

He did declare his interest in a title challenge after McGregor. 

He hasn't exactly campaigned for it. Secondly, he would have announced any objections to anything but a title fight.

And last time I checked, the McGregor rematch hasn't been booked yet. 

You do know that when it comes to McGregor that the UFC is going to try to maximize any profit they can with him? They're not going to announce a fight with him when they have a bunch of cards to book and in addition, still scouting potential venues when they get a full crowd in the building. His fights don't get booked like people in the prelims.

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Okay. Then let's settle this by using the figures we have available to us.

Dustin got around 830,000 dollars to fight Connor McGregor the last time. No title on the line. And that's with Dustin not getting any PPV points.

His fight against Dan Hooker netted him 250,000. His fight against Max Holloway for the interim belt was for about 330,000

For some references:

Jan Blachowicz, made about 430,000 for his fight with Dominic Reyes to crown the new 205 champ after Jones left. Reyes made about 380,000. It's assumed neither got PPV points.

Izzy who is a bigger star than Dustin got paid about a million to fight Jan + PPV bonuses of about a million.

I imagine if Dustin does it again, he gets at least a similar appearance rate if not more so than the last fight. If his manager does their job he gets to eat into Connor's PPV bonus 'coz "it takes two this time", which is probably what the hold up is.

Now one can say "It's not booked yet so Dustin got screwed," if one really wants to. And if it never gets booked, then yeah, sucks for Dustin. But both of them have been vocal about the trilogy being what's next. And I think if Dustin wanted to, he could've gotten the title fight over Chandler. If Poirier is getting screwed he's definitely complicit in it.

• Like 1

Well the other shoe dropped and I don't mean the new Jordans

It should be noted that Canelo vs. Billy Joe Saunders was announced today for AT&T Stadium in Arlington the Saturday before this. The important part in this is that it's being configured for 60,000-75,000, but with no attendance restriction.

So when I said it's a game of who would blink first....well the city leaders blinked first. And that had to be expected, when promoters are actively shopping big marquee events.

3 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Okay. Then let's settle this by using the figures we have available to us.

Dustin got around 830,000 dollars to fight Connor McGregor the last time. No title on the line. And that's with Dustin not getting any PPV points.

His fight against Dan Hooker netted him 250,000. His fight against Max Holloway for the interim belt was for about 330,000

For some references:

Jan Blachowicz, made about 430,000 for his fight with Dominic Reyes to crown the new 205 champ after Jones left. Reyes made about 380,000. It's assumed neither got PPV points.

Izzy who is a bigger star than Dustin got paid about a million to fight Jan + PPV bonuses of about a million.

I imagine if Dustin does it again, he gets at least a similar appearance rate if not more so than the last fight. If his manager does their job he gets to eat into Connor's PPV bonus 'coz "it takes two this time", which is probably what the hold up is.

Now one can say "It's not booked yet so Dustin got screwed," if one really wants to. And if it never gets booked, then yeah, sucks for Dustin. But both of them have been vocal about the trilogy being what's next. And I think if Dustin wanted to, he could've gotten the title fight over Chandler. If Poirier is getting screwed he's definitely complicit in it.

Is he getting a cut of the revenue for a third fight with McGregor? Cause if he's not getting any points there, then yeah, I'd say he is getting screwed. Now that Khabib is officially retired, he's basically the top lightweight MMA fighter in the world right now. And after finishing McGregor, he should be paid like it.

Edited by TheVileOne

Poirier has headlined multiple UFC PPVs and technically been a champion. If Deiveson Figueiredo got that (PPV points) worked into his contract, it would be hard to imagine Dustin Poirier of all people doesn't have worked it into his contract. Second, Poirier has been very vocal about his pay and what comes with that. He isn't going to fight for less than what he's worth or perceives his worth to be. So it's absolutely ridiculous that you're saying he's being screwed.

There is also this:

That don't sound like "I WANT TO FIGHT FOR A TITLE!". That sounds like "let's run it back with the cash cow."

• Haha 1

It's impressive that Charles Oliveira has won eight fights in a row. It's even more impressive in the deepest weight class in MMA, Lightweight and Oliveira finished seven opponents, five by submission. It really should be eight as somehow Tony Ferguson didn't submit to THAT armbar.

The only way Dustin gets screwed at all is if McGregor is flaky and decides to box Manny or something, but even if that scenario, Poirier can just get a title shot in the Fall. So either way he'll get paid eventually, I don't blame him at all for going for the trilogy as that's the money fight and at the end of the day, money is the most important thing to most fighters.

I think people were not really believing Khabib's retirement due to his age, dominance, and it seeming like an emotional decision which people are more likely to change their mind on later. So I can't blame people for believing that, its incredibly rare for a MMA fighter to retire for good when they are at their peak. Possible exception being GSP but even he came back for one more.  (I still am not sure we'll never see Khabib fight again, to be honest).