DVDVR Message Board

2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

The Natural

45 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Those talks died rather quickly.

I wouldn't call them talks as much planning before considering any potential red tape. It's clear as far as large sporting events go, the cities ain't in accordance with the governor. They will do limited capacity still, but not fully capacity just yet. And for UFC, unless they're getting large sums of money like their Abu Dhabi deal, it doesn't any sense to them to run shows outside the Apex. I saw one story saying the first show back at full capacity was this Saturday in Texas, and I believe they referencing the Chocolatito vs. Juan Francisco Estrada fight at American Airline Center. Thing is it won't be at full capacity, and they're capping it 5,000. The TDLR will still have most of the COVID protocols in place. 

That said, I also wouldn't say anything has died. I doubt they're moving any close upcoming cards unless they get full insurance on everything. However, once the ball gets rolling with either Eddie Hearn or even PBC, then UFC is going to follow close behind. Or vice versa. That's the way it's been happening so far. One promoter will do something, and another will do the same if not something similar. It never fails. The UFC was super persistent in running shows ASAP, and it eventually happened. The UFC was super persistent in running week after week and it happened. They wanted to run with some fans in attendance. It happened. There is only one or two more shoes to drop. 

Doing a boxing match like the one above at AAC is different than hosting a UFC PPV. Even with no cap, it's hard to imagine it selling 10,000 tickets. A big UFC PPV is going to be close to capacity in that same arena. What Governor Abbott did was basically create undue pressure on the cities because now it would be expected to allow those arenas at full capacity. It's not going to be just the mid sized boxing cards to sell 5k-7k tickets that come there. It's going to be folks like the UFC who want to go. Now it's just a guessing game who will blink first. There will be intersecting point of where covid is less of a risk and where the financial impact is too great to ignore. That's what the UFC and all these promoters are waiting for.

We're getting three title fight UFC PPVs in two months. This month's UFC 259 had the UFC Light Heavyweight, UFC Bantamweight and UFC Women's Featherweight Championship. Next month's UFC 261 will have the UFC Welterweight, UFC Women's Flyweight and UFC Women's Strawweight Championship defended. The 7th and 8th shows to do so.

Edited by The Natural

That might be interesting. I feel like after Whitaker got what ever his personal stuff was in order he's been killing it. Now that Gastelum got over the hump his last fight we might see the same from him.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think TJ Dillashaw's lucky to get Corey Sandhagen who is due a UFC Bantamweight Championship shot in his first fight back since cheating for EPO. Can't decide if I want Dillashaw KTFO quickly or a five round beating. Just want the one. C'mon Corey Sandhagen!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I believed Khabib Nurmagedov when after defending the UFC Lightweight Championship against Interim UFC Lightweight Champion Justin Gaethje he said he was going to retire after promising his Mum and losing his Dad/Coach. Hell of a career going out as world champion and on 29-0 in the deepest weight class in MMA history.

Edited by The Natural