DVDVR Message Board

2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

The Natural

Ultimately, they only do that for Conor shows, and he's clearly on the downside of his career already. If he stops being the draw he once was, BT Sport will be forced to give up on PPV for a bit. Unless Darren Till catches fire or Paddy Pimblett (and his stupid hair) turns into a world beater, or something 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DangerMark said:

Nobody called Paddy Pimblett, stupid hair or not, is going to be taken seriously as an ass kicker, surely.

Paddy Pimblett (@PaddyTheBaddy) | Twitter

Almost did a Conor and won Cage Warriors belts in two weight divisions simultaneously. Only he lost the second title match.

And has really stupid hair.

But he's very popular in Liverpool.

41 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This feels a bit reactionary. Interim bout seems unnecessary and a bit petty on UFC's part. 

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1409612914504392713?s=20

Well that's unexpected and unnecessary. Francis Ngannou only won the UFC Heavyweight Championship in March. UFC couldn't wait for Francis to defend? Look at how long Michael Bisping held the UFC Middleweight Championship for without an Interim one.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

Lame.

Was Ngannou also holding out hoping to make the Jones fight happen? I know a lot's been said about Jones and his demands, but Francis would surely want that fight more than any other. Would be his biggest payday ever.

• Like 1

I think it's Ngannou holding out for more money, period. Doesn't matter if it's against Derrick Lewis, Jones, or Cyril Gane. Ngannou has made it evident's he not fighting for the same money he's been fighting for.

It didn't make any sense to rush to announce Derrick Lewis was the next guy in line when you didn't have the champion signed on the dotted line.

With Francis Ngannou unavailable to fight in the UFC's desired timeframe, the promotion is moving forward with a Derrick Lewis vs. Ciryl Gane interim heavyweight title fight that will headline UFC 265 on August 7th.

ESPN's Brett Okamoto first reported the news that Ngannou was unable to defend his title in June or August due to traveling and Dana White thought both Lewis and Gane were worthy of title shots.

Okamoto got a quote from Ngannou's agent that said they were in complete shock about the news considering the history of the division. Ngannou tweeted, "I remember my interim title fight against Jairzinho .... oh wait: -- a nod to his desire to have his May 2020 fight against Jair Rozenstruik for the interim title due to then-champion Stipe Miocic not wanting to fight due to COVID-19. 

The last interim heavyweight title awarded was to Fabricio Werdum for his defeat of Mark Hunt at UFC 180 in November 2014. 

Lewis is riding a four-fight win streak and last knocked out Curtis Blaydes in February. Gane defeated Alexander Volkov on Saturday via unanimous decision to get his record to a perfect 9-0.

The event will be held in Houston, Texas -- the hometown of Lewis. The co-main event features two-division champion Amanda Nunes defending the bantamweight title against Julianna Pena.

Ngannou defeated Stipe Miocic for the title by second round knockout in March. Discussions of a title fight vs. former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones stalled due to Jones asking for more money for the superfight and the UFC having no interest in meeting his demands.

F4wonline.com.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, DangerMark said:

I don't know why you're tagging me in this, my reaction is basically Klinsmann's.

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, I support Germany in international tournaments. ?

Sorry lads.

• Like 1

You're a nice guy, so you can enjoy it. The rest of England can choke on it.

Spoiler

Keen observers may notice that I actually do pull for England in certain sports. Welsh players turn out for England in Cricket, and since the advent of professionalism in Rugby Union, Wales Rugby League has been so far behind England RL that they may as well be playing different sports. Of course, they're still England, so I don't mind them getting upset occasionally, but in these two sports I will mostly cheer for England, especially against teams from the Upside Down just as long as I don't have to sing that dirge of an anthem.

In all other sports, to paraphrase Malcolm Tucker, I wouldn't piss on England if they were allergic to piss.

Individual athletes are taken on a case by case basis

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DangerMark said:

You're a nice guy, so you can enjoy it. The rest of England can choke on it.

Hide contents

Keen observers may notice that I actually do pull for England in certain sports. Welsh players turn out for England in Cricket, and since the advent of professionalism in Rugby Union, Wales Rugby League has been so far behind England RL that they may as well be playing different sports. Of course, they're still England, so I don't mind them getting upset occasionally, but in these two sports I will mostly cheer for England, especially against teams from the Upside Down just as long as I don't have to sing that dirge of an anthem.

In all other sports, to paraphrase Malcolm Tucker, I wouldn't piss on England if they were allergic to piss.

Individual athletes are taken on a case by case basis

Cheers, @DangerMark saying I'm a nice guy. Tagged you with our chats over the England cricket team but not knowing how you felt about the football team till now.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

As happy as I am for the lads getting past Germany, wouldn't be surprised to see them cock it up against Ukraine ?

14 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

As happy as I am for the lads getting past Germany, wouldn't be surprised to see them cock it up against Ukraine ?

I wouldn't either. I don't think it will...I hope!

I hate it when they book these stupid, idiotic interim title matches just because. Moronic. Dana White needs to get a grip and a better control on himself. Booking a pointless interim title match because he's in a pissing contest with management of a fighter is ridiculous. This is one of the many things the sport needs to move away from.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 2

2011 was a great year for MMA and one of the best in UFC history. UFC 132: Cruz vs. Faber II is still one of my favourite UFC shows. The main event was amazing as the Bantamweight GOAT, Dominick Cruz avenged his only defeat to Urijah Faber defending the UFC Bantamweight Championship. One for @DreamBroken.

• Like 1