DVDVR Message Board

2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

The Natural

• 2 weeks later...

quoting from the last UFC event thread:

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cody Garbrandt 1-4 in his last five fights, he went 11-0 when he beat Dominick Cruz for the UFC Bantamweight Championship. Cruz is the Bantamweight GOAT. Losing three in a row, two to TJ Dillashaw and Pedro Munhoz all by KO/TKO. Lone win was a highlight reel beating the buzzer KO on Raphael Assuncao.

re: Cody Garbrandt. i feel like this guy has some of the worst fight IQ around. He seems to have been trained and built specifically to unseat Cruz, which he did. But since then, between his chin and his ever-increasing likelihood of engaging in slugfests, he just can't put it together. He accomplished his goal, now he just fights. It's like he lost all of his focus and can't stay on the path again.

re: Dominick Cruz. i agree that he is the GOAT BW. No doubt. But i do find it really odd that he never beat the previous BW king, Miguel Torres. And he never beat the guy that reigned while he was off getting zombie legs, Renan Barao. Now, i would fully expect that Cruz would destroy both of these guys, both at the time and now. But it is a weird little anomaly.  Unrelated, but i'm also disappointed we haven't seen Cruz vs. Marlon Moraes.

• Like 1

I'm surprised it took this long for Schaefer to get into MMA. I know he tried to start his own boxing company, but he really couldn't build up a sizeable stable like Hearn has. I think he's a better fit for MMA honestly.

On 5/27/2021 at 1:52 AM, The Natural said:

Blessed should be the UFC Featherweight Champion, bullshit he dropped a split decision to Alexander Volkanovski (c) in their rematch.

Holloway should've done more.

Max Holloway has suffered an undisclosed injury and has pulled out of his July 17 bout against Yair Rodriguez, sources told ESPN, postponing one of this summer's most anticipated fights.

The fight between the former UFC 145-pound champion Holloway (22-6) and Rodríguez (13-2) was likely to determine the next challenger for the featherweight title after champion Alexander Volkanovski defends his belt against Brian Ortega later this year.

Volkanovski and Ortega are currently the coaches for this season of The Ultimate Fighter.

Fighters such as Edson Barboza and Giga Chikadze have shown interest in replacing Holloway, but it is still unknown how long Holloway will be sidelined.

Rodríguez hasn't fought in nearly two years, with his last bout coming in October 2019 against Jeremy Stephens.

Holloway opened his 2021 UFC schedule with a stellar performance against Calvin Kattar. UFC is expected to determine a new main event for that date in the upcoming days.

• Sad 2