DVDVR Message Board

2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

The Natural

57 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, if my wife were Megan Olivi, I'd want to stop getting kicked in the head for a living, too.

There was a time where even if he couldn't be champion, he was much better than the next best contender. That's no longer the case, which makes it a good time to hang it up.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 11:35 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Carlos Condit is one of my favourite fighters. What's most impressive about his record and compared to others is how much of his wins (32) were finishes (28). Only 1 KO loss out of 14 and that was through a knee injury, an ACL tear with partially torn meniscus. I think Carlos never recovered from the split decision loss to Robbie Lawler for Lawler's UFC Welterweight Championship. Understandably so as he won that fight 48-47. Bullshit an immediate rematch wasn't booked especially when relatives are so common. It's in my top ten MMA fights ever and the fifth round is the best round ever. @twiztor will agree with me.

My top ten MMA fights ever:

10. Matt Hughes vs. Frank Trigg. UFC 52.

9. Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis. WEC 53.

8. Benson Henderson vs. Donald Cerrone. WEC 43.

7. Randy Couture vs. Tim Sylvia. UFC 68.

6. Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen. UFC 117.

5. Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson. UFC 165.

4. Weili Zhang vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk. UFC 248.

3. Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit. UFC 195.

2. Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard II. UFC 125.

1. Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar. The Ultimate Fighter 1 Finale.

On 9/16/2021 at 7:46 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

When I think of Joseph Benavidez, the first thing that comes to mind is him getting destroyed by Deiveson Alcântara Figueiredo in their second fight in one round with one of the nastiest submissions ever:

EdQUB2dWkAAR7SI?format=jpg&name=medium

Did the scorecards ever come out? I ask as that round had to be a 10-7.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

Carlos Condit is one of my favourite fighters. What's most impressive about his record and compared to others is how much of his wins (32) were finishes (28). Only 1 KO loss out of 14 and that was through a knee injury, an ACL tear with partially torn meniscus. I think Carlos never recovered from the split decision loss to Robbie Lawler for Lawler's UFC Welterweight Championship. Understandably so as he won that fight 48-47. Bullshit an immediate rematch wasn't booked especially when relatives are so common. It's in my top ten MMA fights ever and the fifth round is the best round ever. @twiztor will agree with me.

fully agreed, i have Lawler/Condit at #1 on my list (although i think i scored it for Lawler. But that fight was so awesome it almost didn't matter who got the win). When i think of that fight, this image comes to mind:

Opinion: Lawler vs. Condit Was No Robbery

When I think of Joseph Benavidez, the first thing that comes to mind is him getting destroyed by Deiveson Alcântara Figueiredo in their second fight in one round with one of the nastiest submissions ever:

Did the scorecards ever come out? I ask as that round had to be a 10-7.

since the fight ended in rd1, the judges never filled out scorecards. a one-sided beating if i've ever seen one.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, twiztor said:

fully agreed, i have Lawler/Condit at #1 on my list (although i think i scored it for Lawler. But that fight was so awesome it almost didn't matter who got the win). When i think of that fight, this image comes to mind:

Opinion: Lawler vs. Condit Was No Robbery

since the fight ended in rd1, the judges never filled out scorecards. a one-sided beating if i've ever seen one.

Yeah, that image of Lawler/Condit is the first that always comes to mind. I scored 48-47 to Condit. As noted pissed there wasn't an immediate rematch.

Thanks for answering my question. Figueiredo/Benavidez II was a rare example of a 10-7. Only others I can think of is the first round of Edgar/Maynard II and one if not two in Holloway/Kattar. That's the worst beating I've ever seen in MMA.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Figueiredo/Benavidez II was a rare example of a 10-7. Only others I can think of is the first round of Edgar/Maynard II and one if not two in Holloway/Kattar. That's the worst beating I've ever seen in MMA.

i'm still waiting for another 10-6 so we can relive these moments:

The story behind the bizarre UFC 83 fight between Nate Quarry and Kalib  Starnes – The Athletic

The story behind the bizarre UFC 83 fight between Nate Quarry and Kalib  Starnes – The Athletic

• Haha 1

Petr Yan's wanted to get his hands on Aljamain Sterling ever since he lost his UFC Featherweight Championship by DQ at UFC 259 on my 6th of March birthday, this delay will piss him off even more.

well, maybe he shouldn't have thrown that blatantly illegal knee? You know, the one RIGHT in front of the ref? RIGHT after the ref told him not to knee? zero sympathy here.

54 minutes ago, twiztor said:

well, maybe he shouldn't have thrown that blatantly illegal knee? You know, the one RIGHT in front of the ref? RIGHT after the ref told him not to knee? zero sympathy here.

I'm on your side, bud!

Edited by The Natural