DVDVR Message Board

2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

The Natural

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No, I get that part and what happened to her grandfather I believe.

That said, you can't continue to say, "well it's nothing personal" but then get personal cause that's basically Weili's background. That's what gets me.

You can also not say better dead than red. Not in 2021. That's straight up weird and xenophobic. 

Dana White should wash his hands of Donald Trump if he wants to take UFC to  next level | South China Morning Post

I'm of the mind that Rose is getting a pass (to be fair, I haven't look at the responses now that the bigger MMA sites have gotten ahold of this) because she has some known social anxiety especially post bus attack. It's kinda harder to scrutinize if you know someone actively has a hard time functioning in public.

That said, Weili Zhang has opened up a market UFC previously had a big barrier to overcome as far as entry went. Dana would be the last person to support Rose in this case. 

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was going to post this yesterday cause it struck me as kind of pellicular, but I couldn't find a tweet. Now I have one:

So yeah, Rose is out here fighting the Cold War one communist at a time. 

I didn't see the Rocky IV angle being played out in the UFC. Definitely didn't see that coming.

As batshit as it was to say that in 2021, I genuinely hope Namajunas doesn't get shredded apart and attacked for this, since I think she's had issues with anxiety before. 

I'm not condoning it but way back when, Mark Munoz threw out a regrettable line saying he wanted to beat Okami because he was Japanese and his grandfather was forced to take part in the Bataan Death March. To verbalize something like and to connect your opponent to atrocities they really had/have nothing to do with while talking about a fight...I think they let that get away from them.

That's sort of what this reminded me of. I just think it was a bad ill-advised statement to make. 

This seems to be stuck in the MMA bubble at the moment. I guess people are more focused on other stories at the moment and this didn't really have/has the opportunity to blow up yet.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

All we can hope for is Weili smashes her for 25 minutes tbh and that's how I see it going if it lasts that long. To me there is a huge gap in athleticism and explosiveness. While Rose has strong punching technique, so does Zhang but the latter is way more decisive, quicker, stronger, and varied.

There is so much Sinophobia spouted by our politicians in the west right now this likely won't register as a blip on anybody's radar outside the mma world. It's fucked up but it ratcheted up even more when Biden came into power. Like there was a clear attempt to get the focus on China, meanwhile kids are still in cages, police atrocities continue, violence against Asians in North America ramps up, the border wall will be extended, so on and so forth. It's a big component of manufacturing consent, that ludicrous statements like Rose's become the norm and the value of Chinese (Asian as a whole in many people's eyes) life is minimized. 

• Like 3

Here's the thing @TheVileOne: If you say stuff in public, double down in public, you cannot then expect the response to be in anything other than the public.

My fear is that if people ignore this, it creates a bigger hypocrisy among MMA media and fans Iike who are fine with going after stuff that is clear cut wrong (Covington and the Chael stuff before that) and stuff where there are shades of grey. People are fine with attacking those who lend themselves to criticism and/or others who people have already gone after. However, in cases like this, people often look for a valid excuse to dismiss it.

I don't think people should attack Rose and just bully her into apologizing. However, you know from other instances of this happening, treating her with kid gloves only allows her to go even further with the rhetoric.

I have got some serious dislike for the CCP due to some of their activities in my region and specifically involving the country I live. However, I'm not stupid enough to project that on to the Chinese people themselves. It really sucks that this is the second fight in a row that Weili is being subjected to racism in the lead up and I agree with elsalv that it needs to be called out for what it is. 

• Like 4

So hold on, I thought she disliked communism because of the country being a satellite state but her grandfather died fighting with Nazis against the Soviets? Lol. Fuck this dumbass up, please, based Weili. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

All we can hope for is Weili smashes her for 25 minutes tbh and that's how I see it going if it lasts that long. To me there is a huge gap in athleticism and explosiveness. While Rose has strong punching technique, so does Zhang but the latter is way more decisive, quicker, stronger, and varied.

There is so much Sinophobia spouted by our politicians in the west right now this likely won't register as a blip on anybody's radar outside the mma world. It's fucked up but it ratcheted up even more when Biden came into power. Like there was a clear attempt to get the focus on China, meanwhile kids are still in cages, police atrocities continue, violence against Asians in North America ramps up, the border wall will be extended, so on and so forth. It's a big component of manufacturing consent, that ludicrous statements like Rose's become the norm and the value of Chinese (Asian as a whole in many people's eyes) life is minimized. 

I fancy Weill will finish Rose with strikes, second or third round.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Here's the thing @TheVileOne: If you say stuff in public, double down in public, you cannot then expect the response to be in anything other than the public.

My fear is that if people ignore this, it creates a bigger hypocrisy among MMA media and fans Iike who are fine with going after stuff that is clear cut wrong (Covington and the Chael stuff before that) and stuff where there are shades of grey. People are fine with attacking those who lend themselves to criticism and/or others who people have already gone after. However, in cases like this, people often look for a valid excuse to dismiss it.

I don't think people should attack Rose and just bully her into apologizing. However, you know from other instances of this happening, treating her with kid gloves only allows her to go even further with the rhetoric.

That hypocrisy already exists everywhere and is not isolated to the MMA media. I imagine now that MMA Fighting reported these comments they are going to come up at least in the press conferences. 

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

That hypocrisy already exists everywhere and is not isolated to the MMA media. 

Well, of course. However, that doesn't forgive it in MMA. Plus, if you're the UFC, you don't want this to be something an Asian rights advocacy group sees. Then it goes from Rose's problem to the UFC's problem as she represents them as one of their contracted fighters.

I imagine now that MMA Fighting reported these comments they are going to come up at least in the press conferences

When that happens, will she further double down again? It's one thing to say that for a foreign outlet you think no one will see. Does she have the guts to say that with her opponent there?

I'm gonna guess no. If she does, it's gonna be an epic shitstorm.

22 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I was going to post this yesterday cause it struck me as kind of pellicular, but I couldn't find a tweet. Now I have one:

So yeah, Rose is out here fighting the Cold War one communist at a time. 

I didn't see the Rocky IV angle being played out in the UFC. Definitely didn't see that coming.

So, Rose.  Your plan is to insult the woman that did this to Joanna Jedrzejczyk

joanna-hematoma.jpg

after she tried to rattle her by posting COVID jokes on social media.

Good luck with that shit.

Too bad that Usman is rematching against Masvidal instead of Covington.  If Kamaru were fighting Colby, I could potentially see two dumbasses get smashed for the price of one.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2021 at 4:58 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Angie Hill will get that bread by any means necessary.  I think she would fight once a month if she could.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Angie Hill will get that bread by any means necessary.  I think she would fight once a month if she could.

For me, this is a face vs. face matchup. I really cannot root against either one. 

The good thing though is at least Amanda will get pushed. I feel the reason why she didn't do well against Marina is she (Amanda) had faced ZERO adversity in all her prior fights. It was just too easy. The only hiccup she had was USADA related. That's it. Marina is an extremely tough out for anyone in the division. Now she can reset against someone who is super tough, but more on her level given her experience. 

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, of course. However, that doesn't forgive it in MMA. Plus, if you're the UFC, you don't want this to be something an Asian rights advocacy group sees. Then it goes from Rose's problem to the UFC's problem as she represents them as one of their contracted fighters.

When that happens, will she further double down again? It's one thing to say that for a foreign outlet you think no one will see. Does she have the guts to say that with her opponent there?

I'm gonna guess no. If she does, it's gonna be an epic shitstorm.

Frankly, I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger shit storm over her comments. And an advocacy group would be IMHO well within their right to shed light and decry these comments. And since there wasn't, I hope someone Rose trusts or she puts her faith in would advise her to get in front of it before it potentially does or comes back to bite her.

If I were to surmise why her comments haven't gone viral yet, it's simply because a few other social issues have taken the attention of the public at the moment. As we all know, these things tend to happen in cycles. And since it hasn't become a ****storm yet, Rose would still do well to get in front of this and put out some sort of apology or mea culpa before it does. 

I don't know if UFC still does fighter summits, but they should be offering a little bit of media training, at the very least a bare minimum.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jiji said:

They can bring in Tito and Dana to teach the kids a thing or two (separately of course). 

I didn't realize that this was the MMA thread and I was wondering what the hell someone would need to learn from both Tito Santana and Dana Brooke.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

I didn't realize that this was the MMA thread and I was wondering what the hell someone would need to learn from both Tito Santana and Dana Brooke.

I mean Tito Santana is a math teacher for kids, and he appears to be a good one from what I've seen.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

When on the main board index I saw your profile picture and wondered why you ventured to this section of it.

23 hours ago, Jiji said:

So hold on, I thought she disliked communism because of the country being a satellite state but her grandfather died fighting with Nazis against the Soviets? Lol. Fuck this dumbass up, please, based Weili. 

This right here. Poor Rose hates communism because her Nazi granddaddy took a few bullets for Hitler? Boo frickin hoo lol. 

I think it's cool that folks want to stand up against racism towards Asians, and that people are trying to be more aware. As an asian american, I really do appreciate the support. But I ask that if you want to be an ally, please don't try to banish people from existence on our behalf. Get these people on our side. Reach out, be kind.

Rose Namajunas has a family history and life experiences that have lead her to say this ignorant statement, one that I don't even think is racist or necessarily against Chinese people in general. I mean if she wants to shit on communism I don't think my Chinese brothers and sisters are going to take it personally. There's probably more than a few people in Hong Kong giving her the thumbs up.  But she brought it into a fight awkwardly for no real good reason, and people get defensive when they get embarrassed. I don't think piling on to her is going to make her change her mind.

6 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Don't step on the narrative, tankies don't care about the details.

Please be better than this.

But I do recommend folks read up on Lithuanian history during the early 1900's. I spent half my day doing so yesterday because her comments made me want to understand where she was coming from. It's really fascinating and tragic and worth the effort.

• Like 2

I mean it's totally misplaced in this instance, yeah, not necessarily because of when she was born. History still affected her family and it's not unreasonable to carry that resentment. But making some kind of connection to Weili Zhang being Chinese, China being communist, communism affecting Lithuania negatively is... I mean that's a long unnecessary road for motivation that doesn't even make sense, and it makes me a little concerned for her chances in this fight. 

• Like 5