DVDVR Message Board

2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

The Natural

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 12:10 AM, The Natural said:

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2021 at 2:30 PM, supremebve said:

If I had to guess, I'd say it was a calf slicer that he used his neck as the fulcrum...but it also looks like he's doing something to his ankle that can't possibly be comfortable.  It reminds me of when I did Judo one of the teachers could pull the most random arm bars out of his ass.  He just understood how to to isolate your elbow and apply pressure that he could just bend your arm over his head as you're going for a choke if you extended too far in the wrong direction.  

That's pretty much what happened.  Santos defends against the omoplata by controlling the other guy's right leg. 

The other guy refuses to abandon the omoplata.  He tries to shift his weight to secure Santo's left arm to lock in the omoplata and only succeeds in allowing Santos to trap the dude's left arm and left leg, shift his weight forward, and lock in the calf slicer with his head and neck as the fulcrum point.  As you pointed out, it also look like Santos is bending the other guy's ankle at an unnatural angle.

By the time the other guy figures out what's going on, he's tapping out.

This is the best example I've seen of the perils of now knowing when to give up on a technique and trying something else.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

That's pretty much what happened.  Santos defends against the omoplata by controlling the other guy's right leg. 

The other guy tries to shift his weight to secure Santo's left arm and only succeeds in allowing Santos to secure his own left arm, shift his weight forward, and lock in the calf slicer with his head and neck as the fulcrum point.

This is the best example I've seen of the perils of now knowing when to give up on a technique and trying something else.

It's also a great example of the difference between knowing how a submission works and understanding how a submission works.  Nobody is drilling how to do a calf slicer around your neck, he just has full comprehension of how that submission works and was able to adapt it to a weird position in real time.  That is a really rare level of grappling comprehension.  

JDS seems rather shot but something from the reporting on this stuck out:

According to sources close to dos Santos, he was recently offered a short-notice fight against Marcin Tybura at UFC 260 on March 29. After dos Santos declined the fight because of not having enough time to prepare, the promotion ultimately decided to release him, sources said.

This is rather worrying to read as it raises questions as to how voluntary taking a short notice fight actually is.

They've been offering a ton of people short notice fights. I think this one specifically was a take it or leave it offer since Junior didn't look so hot in his last fight and coming off four straight losses. He wasn't exactly in a position of leverage. I think because he has been out of the cage since December, they probably expected him to be in the gym just in case. I follow him on Twitter and from the looks of things, he's been mostly hanging out with his family and relatively young child that was born not too long ago.

With that said, it was announced there would be a round of cuts not too long ago and some would be name guys. It's surprising, but not surprising considering that.

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

Reem being cut makes me sad

I thought UFC would keep Reem. Name value and won four of his last six. Amazing he's still fighting with how long he has and he's suffered some of the worst KTFO ever.

I love Reem like family so I hope he will retire.   He's won 4 of his last six, but those two losses were brutal KO / TKOs.   I think any promotion would be lucky to have him, but I'd like to see him hang it up while he's still got brain cells.

I don't need to see any more images of him on the mat with his eyes rolled into the back of his head or his lip split nearly to his nose.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, J.T. said:

I love Reem like family so I hope he will retire.   He's won 4 of his last six, but those two losses were brutal KO / TKOs.   I think any promotion would be lucky to have him, but I'd like to see him hang it up while he's still got brain cells.

I don't need to see any more images of him on the mat with his eyes rolled into the back of his head or his lip split nearly to his nose.

Yeah, Reem was on the receiving end of some of the worst KTFO I've seen especially the Uppercut from Hell by Francis Ngannou.

When Khabib beat Gaethje, a lot of people were calling it "the best three-fight run in MMA history". I knee-jerked and threw out GSP's Sherk/Penn/Hughes trio (or Fitch/Penn/Alves), but I just had to get into the argument again last night with somebody else, and they just had to ask "OK, then who's number three?

I checked the All Time P4P giants first. Jones is either Gus/Tex/DC or your favorite split of Shogun/Rampage/Machida/Evans. Aldo's best streak is built around his first Mendes and Edgar wins but the third guy is either Jung or Florian. Anderson Silva... Sonen/Belfort/Okami? Or Marquardt/Franklin/Henderson? I'd argue Weidman's Silva/Machida/Belfort trumps both. Fedor's record was sprinkled with so many scrubs, his best three-in-a-row is something lackluster like Schilt/Herring/Big Nog. I thought Mighty Mouse would have the same issue but McCall/Benavidez/Dodson was insane when it happened and Horiguchi/Dodson/Cejudo is insaner in retrospect so I think that's the answer to my question.

I might get bored one day and slap together a list for myself. Chuck Liddell went Couture/Babalu/Tito when Babalu was on a 10-fight win streak. Rashad Evans went Bisping (undefeated)/Chuck/Griffin (champ) in a dark horse Top 10 All-Time Streak contender. By some amount of dumb luck, I'm considering the argument that Brock Lesnar beating Couture/Mir/Carwin is the best Heavyweight trio ever. It even got me thinking about four-fight win streaks like the aforementioned pre-crisis Jones run. Better than that is Cejudo's DJ/Dillashaw/Moraes/Cruz, Shogun's Gran Prix victory and Amanda Nunes beating Schevchenko/Tate/Rousey/Schevchenko. But that's some research I do not feel like doing any time soon.

I guess what I'm asking is... who am I forgetting?

To me, it has to be three men or women you could see being a long reigning champs. It's kinda like the Jordan thing of where he stopped legit HOFers from ever having a ring. 

IMO you have to be legitimately denying a very good or great fighter an opportunity to be champion. The only one I would have a problem with you mentioned is the DJ one with McCall and Dodson. Benavidez in his prime could have been champion. I never saw Ian McCall or John Dodson as champions, especially in hindsight when we've seen better flyweights than McCall and Dodson. Those are two guys a champion like Mighty Mouse is suppose to beat. McCall was a good regional fighter, but never proved on a UFC level he could beat world class fighters. Dodson was a good regional fighter as well and with a little pop when it comes to punching power, but DJ on paper was head and shoulders above him. So yeah, if it's a three you have to take from Demetrious, it's going to be whichever one includes Horiguchi and/or Cejudo.

17 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Dan Hardy is out of UFC over some confrontation with a woman backstage, possibly Herb Dean's wife.

Woah. BT Sport have also sacked Hardy.

Edited by The Natural

Thankfully, not long to go. I'd still have done Zhang vs. Joanna II first. UFC 261 will also feature Valentina Shevchenko defending the UFC Women's Flyweight Championship against Jessica Andrade.

Edited by The Natural

40 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Does Zhang vs Rose headline? Normally they always have the heavier weight class title fight as the headline fight.

As you rightly say if a card has title fights, it's done by weight class from heaviest to lightest. There's the odd time the lighter weight class goes before the heaviest. I figure that's the case here as Zhang/Thug Rose have a bigger profile, Women's Strawweight is the best in WMMA and coming of Zhang's all time classic fight with Joanna.