DVDVR Message Board

2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

The Natural

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

That's the thing,  nobody gets through this type of rounds. A 10-7 should be more common,  because there are some rounds that are bad enough that it would take a comeback 10-8 to win in an MMA fight. Edgar's comeback was great,  but if argue that it wasn't great enough to justify that draw if we actually used all 10 points available. 

completely agree. i've seen arguments for a 20-point must system, and i feel like i always respond by screaming " WE DON'T USE THE POINTS WE HAVE!" right now we're essentially scoring with a 3 point system. seriously, the only 10-6 round i remember (in the ufc) was Kalib Starnes running away from Nate Quarry (i think?.  in over 2 decades of this mma scoring system? ludicrous.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, twiztor said:

completely agree. i've seen arguments for a 20-point must system, and i feel like i always respond by screaming " WE DON'T USE THE POINTS WE HAVE!" right now we're essentially scoring with a 3 point system. seriously, the only 10-6 round i remember (in the ufc) was Kalib Starnes running away from Nate Quarry (i think?.  in over 2 decades of this mma scoring system? ludicrous.

I was at that fight,  and me and my friend literally got up and started wandering around the arena instead of watching it. The judge who gave the 10-6 didn't judge another UFC fight for 2 years after... probably not a coincidence.  There wasn't anything close to a 10-6 in that fight and I'd argue it probably wasn't a 10-8 because it isn't like Quarry was actually doing anything but following him around as he ran. 

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

Yup. The major problem I see, if there are marginal 10-9's then there should be marginal 10-8 rounds as well. And if someone is getting absolutely dominated the entire round, like soundly dominated, then it should also arguably be a 10-8.

The other major issue is that judges rarely score rounds 10-10 when they are applicable. They still score a winner even in a pretty even round where little actually happens or neither fighter really got the advantage. 

So if you change it to 20 points, I don't see it how fixes the improper application of the scores.

9 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I know why Dana White's doing it but just let Khabib go out 29-0 and keep the promise he made to his Mum that he wouldn't fight again with his Dad/coach passing away from coronavirus. Retire undefeated, doesn't have to round it up to an even 30-0.

Edited by The Natural

ESkZCykUwAAz3zt?format=jpg&name=small

Found out yesterday Zhang Weili vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk from UFC 248 was named the 2020 MMA Fight of the Year from sherdog.com, mmaweekly.com, mmafighting.com, World MMA Awards, BT Sport and Bleacher Report. I think it would win here as well. That was my Fight of the Year. One of the best MMA Fights of All Time. In my top ten, probably top five.

We have an update on if UFC is going to do more on ABC:

Ourand also reported that "ESPN has reacted so well to the numbers that execs are talking about finding more windows" on ABC for more live UFC shows. The UFC made its ABC debut on January 16th with an afternoon show opposite an NFL playoff game that still averaged 1.22 million viewers. Ourand said that number "convinced ESPN execs to try and find more ABC windows for UFC."

• Like 2

• Elsalvajeloco changed the title to 2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread