DVDVR Message Board

2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

The Natural

A new thread for a new year. We start with the following news:

Amanda Nunes defends the UFC Women's Featherweight Championship against Megan Anderson. Cool getting a UFC PPV on my 36th Birthday with two title fights and Dominick Cruz in action vs. Casey Kenney.

• Like 1

Megan Anderson seems like a very nice person but I fear for her of what may come March 6th. Unless they get Kayla Harrison or some other legitimate fighter for that class they need to shutter it until the quality of fighters improves in Invicta and elsewhere. This sucks. 

• Like 2

• The Natural changed the title to 2021 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread.

Normally, I wouldn't post shit like this. However, I'm starting to see a trend with some of the women Randy likes. This was years after Randy and her split, but Kim Couture is a crazy MAGA person. Now his current girlfriend is one. Hmm. ?

On 1/4/2021 at 9:57 AM, The Natural said:

A new thread for a new year. We start with the following news:

Amanda Nunes defends the UFC Women's Featherweight Championship against Megan Anderson. Cool getting a UFC PPV on my 36th Birthday with two title fights and Dominick Cruz in action vs. Casey Kenney.

All good fights, but I just don't get putting three title fights on one card. It's too much. Unless this is being done with the thought that fights will get postponed or changed.

Megan Anderson seems like a very nice person but I fear for her of what may come March 6th. Unless they get Kayla Harrison or some other legitimate fighter for that class they need to shutter it until the quality of fighters improves in Invicta and elsewhere. This sucks. 

Sadly, women's featherweight has never been a talent-rich division. 

Edited by TheVileOne

12 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

All good fights, but I just don't get putting three title fights on one card. It's too much. Unless this is being done with the thought that fights will get postponed or changed.

Sadly, women's featherweight has never been a talent-rich division. 

I like the three title fights card, makes it feel bigger. I will say it tests the stamina watching in the early hours of the morning when all three go the distance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I like the three title fights card, makes it feel bigger. I will say it tests the stamina watching in the early hours of the morning when all three go the distance.

I think the last two cards that had three title fights all ended up going into the fifth round or the distance.

• Like 1

January 2011 means two classic MMA fights turn five and ten years old...

168_Robbie_Lawler_vs_Carlos_Condit.0.0.j

The five year anniversary fight: Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit at UFC 195 was a war with Lawler retaining the UFC Welterweight Championship on a split decision. The fifth round I was ducking and weaving as I watched. Rarely do that. Both fighters were never the same particularly Condit. Condit won that fight, 48-47. Pissed Dana White never booked an immediate rematch.

29_Edgar_Maynard.jpg?z2RNgzmMhSiSnyN_Q85

The ten year anniversary fight: Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard at UFC 125. You could score the first round 10-7 to Maynard. Think @supremebve was the one to say that. A10-8 at the very least. Don't know how Edgar survived those three knockdowns and got back into the fight. Judges scorecards: 48-46 Edgar, 48-46 Maynard and 47-47 so Edgar retained the UFC Lightweight Championship. I had it 48-46 Edgar. I can see the other two scorecards though. I have an unpopular opinion coming...this was the 2011 Fight of the Year and not Henderson vs. Shogun I which most people gave it to. Always felt that way.

Two of the greatest fights in MMA history. Both are in my top three with Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonner at the Ultimate Fighter I finale.

Edited by The Natural

I know Lawler vs. Condit from UFC 196 is @twiztor's Best MMA Fight ever. That, Edgar Maynard II on UFC 125 and Griffin/Bonner I from the TUF I Finale are fighting it out for #1, #2 and #3 on my Greatest MMA Fights of All Time. What's yours?

UFC 259 providing all three title fights happen will become the seventh show to ever do that. UFC 217 is one of the best MMA shows ever. The only show where all three titles changed hands: GSP, Thug Rose and Dillashaw.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 7:12 AM, The Natural said:

The ten year anniversary fight: Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard at UFC 125. You could score the first round 10-7 to Maynard. Think @supremebve was the one to say that. A10-8 at the very least. Don't know how Edgar survived those three knockdowns and got back into the fight. Judges scorecards: 48-46 Edgar, 48-46 Maynard and 47-47 so Edgar retained the UFC Lightweight Championship. I had it 48-46 Edgar. I can see the other two scorecards though. I have an unpopular opinion coming...this was the 2011 Fight of the Year and not Henderson vs. Shogun I which most people gave it to. Always felt that way.

I don't know what the proper score for that first round is, but it is the single most brutally one-sided round of MMA I've ever watched that didn't end the fight.  If the 10-point must system was used "correctly" it could be 10-1, because Maynard literally did everything possible to finish Edgar in that round, except he didn't actually finish him.  The fact that Edgar was able to come back from that and damn near win the fight is legitimately one of the most amazing things to ever happen in the sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I don't know what the proper score for that first round is, but it is the single most brutally one-sided round of MMA I've ever watched that didn't end the fight.  If the 10-point must system was used "correctly" it could be 10-1, because Maynard literally did everything possible to finish Edgar in that round, except he didn't actually finish him.  The fact that Edgar was able to come back from that and damn near win the fight is legitimately one of the most amazing things to ever happen in the sport.

If there is ever such thing as a 10-7, the first round would be it. I agree with you that it's the most one sided round without a finish ever and for Edgar to come back as he did was outstanding. I love that fight.

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

If there is ever such thing as a 10-7, the first round would be it. I agree with you that it's the most one sided round without a finish ever and for Edgar to come back as he did was outstanding. I love that fight.

The biggest flaw of the 10 point must system is that we've just decided a 10-8 is the worst round score possible. That fight is the best piece of evidence against that argument. Seriously,  I've seen plenty of rounds i could argue are a 10-7, that round is more one sided than all of them,  by a decent amount. 

The first round of GSP vs. Jon Fitch could be a 10-7. Nunes vs. Spencer had a couple rounds that could be 10-7. The beating Maynard put on Edgar is worse by far. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, supremebve said:

The biggest flaw of the 10 point must system is that we've just decided a 10-8 is the worst round score possible. That fight is the best piece of evidence against that argument. Seriously,  I've seen plenty of rounds i could argue are a 10-7, that round is more one sided than all of them,  by a decent amount. 

The first round of GSP vs. Jon Fitch could be a 10-7. Nunes vs. Spencer had a couple rounds that could be 10-7. The beating Maynard put on Edgar is worse by far. 

EdQUB2dWkAAR7SI?format=jpg&name=medium

The first round to Figueiredo/Benavidez 2 would be another 10-7 if Benavidez had survived it.

Edited by The Natural

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The first round to Figueiredo/Benavidez 2 would be another if Benavidez had survived it.

That's the thing,  nobody gets through this type of rounds. A 10-7 should be more common,  because there are some rounds that are bad enough that it would take a comeback 10-8 to win in an MMA fight. Edgar's comeback was great,  but if argue that it wasn't great enough to justify that draw if we actually used all 10 points available. 

• Like 1