DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 31: Fight for the Troops 3 (11/6/2013) - Fort Campbell, KY (Fort Campbell)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_for_the_Troops_Kennedy_vs._Nat

UFC Fight Night 31: Fight for the Troops 3
November 6, 2013
Fort Campbell, KY (Fort Campbell)

Tim Kennedy (186) vs. Rafael Natal (185.5) - Kennedy, KO (punches), R1 (4:40)
Liz Carmouche (135) vs. Alexis Davis (134) - Davis, DEC (unanimous)
Ronny Markes (185.5) vs. Yoel Romero (185.5) - Romero, TKO (punches), R3 (1:39)
Jorge Masvidal (155.5) vs. Rustam Khabilov (155) - Khabilov, DEC (unanimous)
Colton Smith (155.5) vs. Michael Chiesa (156) - Chiesa, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (1:41)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
James Krause (155.5) vs. Bobby Green (155) - Green, TKO (body kick), R1 (3:50)
George Roop (135.5) vs. Francisco Rivera (136) - Rivera, TKO (punches), R2 (2:20)
Dennis Bermudez (146) vs. Steven Siler (146) - Bermudez, DEC (unanimous)
Germaine de Randamie (136) vs. Amanda Nunes (136) - Nunes, TKO (elbows), R1 (3:56)

Facebook Preliminary Card:
Chris Camozzi (186) vs. Lorenz Larkin (185) - Larkin, DEC (unanimous)
Yves Edwards (156) vs. Yancy Medeiros (156) - No Contest (Medeiros Tested Positive For Marijuana Metabolites)
Neil Magny (171) vs. Seth Baczynski (171) - Baczynski, DEC (unanimous)
Derek Brunson (186) vs. Brian Houston (185) - Brunson, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (0:48)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Knockout of the Night: Tim Kennedy
Submission of the Night: Michael Chiesa
Fight of the Night: Rustam Khabilov vs. Jorge Masvidal

Rating: 641,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Derek Brunson vs. Antônio Braga Neto - Injury to Neto
Dennis Bermudez vs. Nik Lentz - Lentz Moved to Another Event
Lyoto Machida vs. Tim Kennedy - Machida Moved to Another Event

If this was wrestling, it would be the equivalent of the "B" house show in Montana.  I follow the UFC somewhere between the average fan and the hardcore fan, and I only know by name four of the fighters on the main card.  I sent the card to my brother, a casual fan, and he knew two by name, neither of which he really cared about seeing fight.  They are really over-saturating themselves and it is only a matter of time before it comes back to haunt them.  And it may still have some good fights, but in terms of interest going in, I have around 0%.

It has to have the worst rating on FS1.  But it won't be as bad as UFC Fight Night 30 on FS2, so they have that going for them.  I would guess.... 480K viewers.

Keep in mind, there is another show on Saturday.

Anyway, there is at least four good fights (Masvidal-Khabilov, Bermudez-Siler, Larkin-Camozzi, Krause-Green) on the FS1 portions of the card not counting the two women's fights. And those two fights have a chance to be good if you have a casual interest in women's MMA like me. Roop-Rivera might be decent or have a brutal finish. Mid week MMA isn't going to blow your doors off, but there is a less of an up in the air feeling here than some of the cards in Brazil. Some of the Brazilian guys they've picked up were not even entertaining on the national regional circuit. You sign and give Joao Zeferino two TV fights, but you let walking can-highlight-reel-you-at-any-moment Julio Cesar Morceguinho go off to Bellator. Knowing that you need some depth to raise ticket sales for all the shows you're running in Brazil next year, you need all the help you can get. Fight for the troops is exactly what it is. You're not selling tickets for that. You just need good fights for the people that do decide to tune in.

OMG... In what sort of bizarre world is Tim Kennedy vs. Rafael Natal a main event? They're decent fighters, but... Except for the womens' matches the prelims look to be much more entertaining than the actual card.

I personally would've pushed Carmouche vs Davis as the Main especially after Rousey-Carmouche.

Ditto. Rousey vs. Carmouche is one of my favourite fights this year.

I personally would've pushed Carmouche vs Davis as the Main especially after Rousey-Carmouche.

Looking forward to catching that fight... two of my favs that have had some very exciting fights

Fight I'm most looking forward to.

Really, think they should've just made Carmouche/Davis the main event.  I mean Carmouche headlined a PPV that did a decent buyrate and she's coming off a win.  Considering this is a fight night card, would've been a good experiment.

• Like 1

Cruz/Barao is getting the main event slot on the SB card over Aldo/Lamas since it's a champion vs. champion bout.

That doesn't happen often when the lower weight champion goes above the higher weight champion. Right to do it here.

Khabilov is the goods... Troops are far and away a class act, they cheer for the scruffy hippie that beat the army guy and they cheered for the Russian kid. Now that's how MMA crowds ought to behave.

• Like 1